Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2016, 10:10 PM   #1

Thought We Were Downsizing... NOT!

So we just sold our 32BHDS TT, and thought we were downsizing to a Whitehawk and an F150. After looking at trailers, the DW really fell in love with a Grand Design Ultralight Fiver. Being within $5k of the Whitehawk, she thought the fiver might be a better move... The last move before the kids finish high school and go to college. I agree, and think we could stay ultralight with a fiver, keep bunks for friends who camp with us once in a while after kids say it's boring, and maybe get 10 years plus out of a fiver before upgrading again. I'm going to push the 29.5BHDS, as I believe Jayco is the better product.

Is there anything we should consider moving from a travel trailer to a fiver? I have a 2013 F350 Crewcab with the 6.7L, ski should be set. Pin boxes, hitches, sliders, and bed heights have me worried. How do I know what to choose? I never trusted a dealer with a WDH, so I'm not ready for their recommendations on a fiver set up. How do I mane the right choices?
Any help is appreciated.
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:13 AM   #2

Sounds like you have enough truck. I would recommend a slider hitch. The Pull-rite Superglide is a great choice although there are several other good options. My setup is a standard Pull-rite automatic slider with a Moor-Ryde pin box. Worry free and tows/rides well.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:58 AM   #3
Site Team

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when comparing. My F350 CC has a long bed and with the MorRyde pin I would never need to buy a slider hitch.

Just do the research and get what will do the job. There are many choices and most combos are already out there for the perusing. I like to ask people who already are using the hitch or product and use their experience to help me decide.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:03 AM   #4

Sorry my bad....I assumed with a crew cab that it would be a short box. If not a short box then a slider would not be required.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:12 AM   #5

I have a 2016 F350 and pull a 31.5 RLTS. It will have your rig a touch high in the front to give adequate bed clearance. But it is not severe or objectionable. Cariboocreek is right on the money about The Pullrite superslide if you have a short bed truck. The biggest issue is that it is a 200 lb. hitch. If it stays in your truck most of the time, there isn't a big issue. When i changed trucks last winter, I bought the Anderson ultimate which moves the pin back about 4 inches in your truck. I haven't had any issues or close calls as far as trailer to truck contact with it at all. The really nice part is that it weighs 35 Lb. and i can take it out in 5 minutes.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:16 AM   #6

Kamp,

Congrats on the possible 5ver!!!

While I haven't ever owned a 5ver, a buddy bought his first a year ago. The biggest thing he has noticed vs the tt is the loss of bed space! He didnt think he would miss it as much. Granted, he does have the Ram Box on his MegaCab, so he didn't have much bed to begin with. The other, which could be being a new 5ver owner, is he seems to have a fair amount of push/pull (or "chucking") I guess you call it while going down the road. This could also be due to the fact we live in Mi where the roads are pretty sad!!!

He has the Pull Rite slider also, and loves the hitch system. Was a little bit of a pain to install and remove at first, but he said it is easier now. Must have "worn in" a little maybe???

Backing took a little for him to get used to having never owned a 5ver, but pretty much has it down now.

Good luck deciding!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:48 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I do have a short box, and think the Pullrite will be on my shortlist. The weight is not an issue as much as I have a compact tractor with forks that I'll just lift it out when needed. The 35# Anderson seems very appealing, though.
Bed heights have me concerned, and flipping axles, etc. I also wonder about the pin box options. I always hear that once you go to a fiver you'll never go back because of the way it pulls. I'm surprised that a high quality hitch like a Pullrite would allow chucking. I thought the jaws prevented that. It'll be a learning experience. I just don't want a salesman pushing his ignorance. I'd rather walk in with a hitch installed, and know the pinbox I want ahead of time.
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfirekid View Post
Thanks for the replies. I do have a short box, and think the Pullrite will be on my shortlist. The weight is not an issue as much as I have a compact tractor with forks that I'll just lift it out when needed. The 35# Anderson seems very appealing, though.
Bed heights have me concerned, and flipping axles, etc. I also wonder about the pin box options. I always hear that once you go to a fiver you'll never go back because of the way it pulls. I'm surprised that a high quality hitch like a Pullrite would allow chucking. I thought the jaws prevented that. It'll be a learning experience. I just don't want a salesman pushing his ignorance. I'd rather walk in with a hitch installed, and know the pinbox I want ahead of time.
Reese Revolution and skip the space taking sliders and it works better.

Make sure your fw platform is vertically adjustable and raise or lower to give yourself about 5-6 inches clearance at the bed rails.

DO NOT flip axles unless the manuf recommends...meaning it's been ENGINEERED for that mod!
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
Sounds like you have enough truck. I would recommend a slider hitch. The Pull-rite Superglide is a great choice although there are several other good options. My setup is a standard Pull-rite automatic slider with a Moor-Ryde pin box. Worry free and tows/rides well.
He won't need a slider if he has a long bed.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfirekid View Post
The biggest reason for chucking is not caused by loose contact of the jaws. On the contrary, most chucking is the result of your fifth wheel directly impacting your truck. Chucking is the lunging you feel when your trailer hits a bump or a pot hole. The shock is carried up thru the pin box to the truck. That's what chucking primarily is. Yes, some hitches can have loose condition which can cause a lash but that's not really chucking or what causes it. Look at Mor- Rydes pin box that's whole premise is to reduce chucking. It's a rubber block that lets the pin box move to reduce the shock to the truck. Pull rite makes a very high quality, tight fitting set of jaws. But they won't stop chucking.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:20 PM   #11

You'll love a 5er. I've had three. The extra basement storage really helps make up for the loss of bed space.
I run with a Reese 16k Titan slider in my Silverado short box and love it. Haven't ever really needed to slide it either. The Titan handles chucking better than my old Reese quik slide. There are rubber inserts that help absorb the chucking very nicely. I also have air bags and theyre a nice bonus. The new 5er has the mor-ryde pin box.... What a difference it makes too.
Titan and MorRyde...that's my choice.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote