Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #1

Three out of My Five Rv Tires Were Bad! They Were Made in USA.

RV Tires Three Out of Five Bad! Made in USA.
I have Preached for a long time to Change tires on a RV when they are 5 years old. I know that it is expensive, But it is cheap insurance against disaster. On a recent trip to Ogden Utah, we encountered tire problems on our return 235 mile trip to Wells Nevada where we spend the summer. I had added 15 Lbs of air to one of the tires that was low on my Jayco Designer 5th wheel. I was a little hesitant about starting the return trip without having the tire checked for leaks. I was in a hurry and late for an appointment in Draper Utah, 58 miles from Ogden. I wanted to be there early, so we could get some work done to the 5th wheel and be on our way.

Continue Reading>>>
https://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #2

I couldn't sleep well having the goodyear marathons load range D on my new 5er so I changed them to these.
Attached Thumbnails
Itires 2.jpg   tires 1.jpg   tires 3.jpg  
Old 05-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #3

Any concern going to a truck tire versus a dedicated trailer tire? Someone once posted that the DMV looked for trailer tires if they stopped someone...
2006 Dodge 1500 MegaCab
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #4

Make the switch to Light Truck tires and don't look back
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=1317
Old 05-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4nash View Post
Make the switch to Light Truck tires and don't look back
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=1317
What LT tire is available in Load Range E for a 15" rim?
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
What LT tire is available in Load Range E for a 15" rim?
Check for the availability of 700xR15 6 or 8 ply tires made in the U.S.A. by Seiberling or Cooper or Dayton- Some small independent dealers handle these brands- They are quite popular on 2 and 4 wheel utility trailers- JMHO-DD
Old 05-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilley View Post
I couldn't sleep well having the goodyear marathons load range D on my new 5er so I changed them to these.
I almost went to a LT Tire, but when I got checking the Power King Tow Max ST235/80R16 STR Load Range E had a higher Max Load Capacity 500 Lbs each tire over the LT's. I Always Use a ST tire on 5th Wheel trailers Because of tire design and load carrying Capacity. I only drive between 50 and 60 MPH when towing. I am retired and in no hurry. I am thinking of getting a TPMS if I can find one that does not require a booster or relay for a 5th wheel. To many of them need a booster to work because of distance between the truck cab and the rear axles on a Large 5th wheel trailer.
Mel
Old 05-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
Site Team

I have the TST 510 tire pressure monitoring system. No problems. Works flawlessly without a booster.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #9

The Goodyear marathon tires that where on our fith wheel were rated under the max gvwr rating. So we switched from 15" wheels with goodyear tires to 16" wheels with michelin tires. We have put several thousand miles on the new wheels and tires and couldn't be happier.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #10

This is one of the reasons I stick with ST Tires

Quote:
ST Tires Versus LT Tires on Trailers
Here is what Goodyear says "Trailer tires are considered a special category in the current global design standards of Tire and Rim. The major difference is that trailer tires are required to carry 10% more load than an equivalent P-metric size tire. LT type tires are actually on a lower formula and would require a significant size or load change to meet the trailer load requirements."
Mel
Old 05-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHbell View Post
This is one of the reasons I stick with ST Tires

Mel
"LT type tires are actually on a lower formula and would require a significant size or load change to meet the trailer load requirements."

I am not sure I understand this statement. Where is it from? LT tires, like ST tires have their load limit stamped on the tire. Although the limit stamped on the LT tires that are of the correct size to fit my trailer is a bit lower than the limit of the ST tires of the same size, they are still over the weight limit of my axles.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzwiss View Post
"LT type tires are actually on a lower formula and would require a significant size or load change to meet the trailer load requirements."

I am not sure I understand this statement. Where is it from? LT tires, like ST tires have their load limit stamped on the tire. Although the limit stamped on the LT tires that are of the correct size to fit my trailer is a bit lower than the limit of the ST tires of the same size, they are still over the weight limit of my axles.
I'm not exactly sure what that means either, but the statement is from Goodyear. They can sell cheep ST trailer tires for the same price or more than they can sell LT. I dont see what the difference is between the weight on a trailer than the weight on a pickup. I have 50,000 miles on the tires on my truck and have over loaded them without a problem. I think I will keep the LT tires on the tt and I recently ordered a the same kind set for my truck.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #13

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what that means either, but the statement is from Goodyear. They can sell cheep ST trailer tires for the same price or more than they can sell LT. I dont see what the difference is between the weight on a trailer than the weight on a pickup. I have 50,000 miles on the tires on my truck and have over loaded them without a problem. I think I will keep the LT tires on the tt and I recently ordered a the same kind set for my truck.
I got this from a thread by Lou Amadio Herk 7769 in this forum,
Thanks Lou, Very informative.

Quote:
ST tires have a unique tread design. There are only ribs and channels that follow the rotation of the tire. There are no (or few) side to side grooves and the tread itself is very "non-aggressive" to provide a minimum rolling friction for better tire life and fuel economy.

In the past, the higher tire loading in high end campers was not being served by the tire industry so to provide the load carrying capacity required they put LT tires on at the factory. Today, there are more choices available and for a given load factor better performance will come from an ST tire.

Under similar driving conditions, the ST tire will provide better gas mileage and longer tire life. During sharp turns the ST tire will crab sideways much more easily than an LT tire. This will reduce uneven wear and "scrubbing" of the tread.

ST tires also have a much higher emulsion content in the rubber since most ST tires don't get a lot of use. LT tires are run at highways speeds more often and the emulsion can lubricate the rubber more easily when the tires get hot at highway speeds. The higher content in the ST tire rubber prevents/delays dry rot in tires that don't get much use.

Paraphrased from a 2 hour conversation with
Walter C. Cannon
Executive Director
RV Safety & Education Foundation
SO for me that means less rolling friction and better gas milage and if the tires are properly maintained I should have no problems. I have always used ST Tires when available on all trailers I have owned in almost 50 years of RVing. This is the first time I had troubles. I will keep the forum posted as to how well the ST tires do that I bought. I am also buying a TPMS.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #14

If your comfortable running ST tires more power to you. In our case the 15" China bombs had to go for peace of mind for a really nice set of 16" Michelin Tires.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #15

I did a little research on ST and LT tires.

ST tires are rated at 65 mph and have a little higher weight rating than LT tires because of it.

LT tires are rated at higher speeds ( mine are rated at 106 mph ) so they have a lower weight rating at that speed. If they were rated at 65 mph like ST tires then it would be reasonable to believe the weight rating at that speed would be higher.

Also LT and ST tires are both suitable for trailer use.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #16

Quote:
If your comfortable running ST tires more power to you. In our case the 15" China bombs had to go for peace of mind for a really nice set of 16" Michelin Tires.
I have a nice set of 16 inch China bombs with very low mileage that the tire shops dont want and I cant give them away either.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #17

Smile

Quote:
I have a nice set of 16 inch China bombs with very low mileage that the tire shops dont want and I cant give them away either.
You can give them to me if they are load range E and ST235/70R16 I will take them since you can't give them away.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHbell View Post
You can give them to me if they are load range E and ST235/70R16 I will take them since you can't give them away.
They are load range D. There is not to many running D rated tires on 16 inch wheels.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #19

Quote:
I did a little research on ST and LT tires.

ST tires are rated at 65 mph and have a little higher weight rating than LT tires because of it.

LT tires are rated at higher speeds ( mine are rated at 106 mph ) so they have a lower weight rating at that speed. If they were rated at 65 mph like ST tires then it would be reasonable to believe the weight rating at that speed would be higher.

Also LT and ST tires are both suitable for trailer use.
Another reason to buy LT tires. Personally i like to pull at 80mph when the weather conditions allow.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Another reason to buy LT tires. Personally i like to pull at 80mph when the weather conditions allow.
If I see a BLURRR go buy me I'll just wave. I'll figure it's you.:hihi: