Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #11
We use the "eye ball" magnetic camera. Had the same issue. Couldn't see the hitch at all in our crew cab Ford. We have a four panel bed cover that we use with three of the panels folded up when we are towing. The camera is magnetic and we set it up so that it looks right down on the jaws of the hitch. The receiver part is plugged into your cigarette lighter. When I'm hooked, both parts of the camera are stowed in the pouch behind the drivers seat until we need it again. Hooking up was a real pain until I purchased the "eye ball". The only down side is that the camera part runs off of a 9 volt battery. If you forget to turn it off after hooking, you'll need to replace the battery. All in all, it is very useful tool!!!

Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #12
We use the Camco 44603 Magnetic Hitch Alignment Kit, under 15.00 at Amazon.

2014 321RLTS Eagle Premier
2013 3500 CC DMAX
jimandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #13
My last Eagle came with a mounted mirror and now the 2014 no longer has this. Due to my tool box and bed cover I could never see the hitch until the mirror picked it up. I missed this on the last 2 hookups with the new unit and will be going with a suction cup mounted to my king pin during attachment. It will be removed upon hookup then easily removed and stowed. Amazon sells them for under $15.00 depending on size.

Also another key addition to the pin would be the Camco Accu Level for ease in setup. You can see it easily from your rear view mirror and will tell you what you need to do without even getting out of the TV.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #14
I lower the back of my rear seat. I place a piece of PVC pipe in the hitch slot. The pipe is T shaped so it stands up. The flat part of the T goes in the slot and the longer piece of PVC sticks up about a foot. I line the PVC up with my pin and just before backing completely under I remove the PVC.
tsbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #15
You can push the front of the 5th wheel (towards the truck rear window) all the way down so that it swivels up at the trailer side end and the opening jaws of the 5th wheel are elevated so you can see it, giving you a view to aim it at the pin. As you approach the trailer, back until the pin and 5th wheel are close. Stop and get out and swivel the 5th wheel back to the normal position. Do the normal stuff such as lower the trailer (landing gear) as much as possible so the pin box will ride up the back slope of the 5th wheel and the landing gear wont bind. Hook up the electric cable. Now back in the cab slide your trailer brakes to full and back under the trailer.

Also note that environmental (terrain slope) and physical characteristics of your truck/trailer rig (bed clearance, etc) can have an effect on the coupling process. If there is a difference in slope between the trailer and truck (trailer is level, truck is leaning to one side), this can cause difficulty in the coupling. But thats a discussion for another thread.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #16
I just removed the center seat headrest,, can see the hitch with no problem!!!
I-BEAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #17
I also used the red tape cut into the shape of an arrow. I also have a storage box in my truck bed right in the way so when I am hooked up, i put another piece of red tape in the shape of an arrow pointing at the trailer hitch and when the two line up I am all set. Just get out and check the overall height and that the latch is open. Works every time.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #18
Some smooth lines and wine?

*Currently trailer-less but shopping
07' GMC Envoy w/ P2 controller (current TV)
88' Chevy K5 Blazer (soon-to-be TV)
74' VW Superbeetle (1303)

exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #19
I have that big ugly mirror in front, don't know about the rest of you but, it does me no good.
Randy T
2011 Jayco Eagle 321RLTS FW
2012 Dodge 3500
US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #20
I put tape on my hitch showing the center of the jaws, but it just takes some time doing it. I get out as I get close, grab the handle on the hitch and tilt it until it is level and see how close I am to the pin plate, I want them within a 1/8". I don't like backing up and lifting the pin into the slot, I like it level. If you can follow my gibberish. I still get sweaty palms when hooking up.

rbarker46 is offline   Reply With Quote