Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #1

Question Tips for hooking up?

We're new to the 5th wheel and I'm looking for tips for getting the pin into the jaws efficiently. What I've found with my TV is that I have to really crane my neck to get a tiny peek at the hitch. The rear seat center headrest is pretty much in the way so I fold the rear seat down so I can see out the back window. But the hitch plate and jaws are a little too low for me to see all but a tiny bit. I've raised my seat as high as it will go and just can't get a good view of the action.
I've thought of adding a mirror or even a camera but thought first I'd ask the pros first.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #2

When I had the TV hooked up to the 5er, I put silver reflective tape on both the hitch and the pin box. That way if the tape lines up, I am lined up with the pin box and hitch. I have seen some guys mark the middle of the rear window and line that up on the pin box.

Fred
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #3

Thanks Bird (Fred)! Marking the rear window is good input, I'll give that a little test before our next outing. The reflective tape on the hitch won't do much for me (I can't really see the hitch).

The 5th is pretty much level at my current settings but I think I could raise the hitch plate (it's a B&W - some adjustments) but might have to raise the pin box as a result. Something on the rear window would be easier.

Thanks again!

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 02-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

As you get a little more experience it will be easier to back into the proper position, especially if you are lined up straight with the rig. Get it close, step out and look, and make the adjustment.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #5

There is a mirror as well as a wireless camera available if you don't mind spending the bucks.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #6

I can see the pin and hitch through the windshield rear view mirror. Makes for pretty simple alignment.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #7

When my 4 piece box cover is folded to the front, where it will stay when towing, it obstructs the view of the hitch so I marked the folded cover in the centre where the hitch jaw lines up, with a piece of red tape. I then have the pin box at the approximate height and slowly reverse and watch in the rear view mirror. When I am as close as possible I stop and get out to see if I have to raise or lower the pin box and check the distance and if I am centred. Also a good time to make sure the jaws are open. Then slowly reverse and hook up. Like 101vet said the more you do it the easier it gets. Don't be in a rush. I've changed the tape once in 6 years. First time I ever unhitched at home I forgot to drop the tailgate and grazed the Lynex coating as I pulled forward. Luckily I had raised the pin box.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #8

Excellent suggestions everyone! Thanks.
I'll first make sure that the rear-view mirror can or can't see the hitch. I don't recall if I checked that with the rear seat folded. 2nd thing to try will be a mark on the rear window. I've seen reflective panels on the bottom of the front cap that look like they are stick-on. Not sure if they are after-market or OEM, also not sure how that works with the curved cap. But something to think about. Want to avoid a camera but have thought about it.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 02-28-2014, 11:40 PM   #9

On our hitch, there is a notch in the top of the fifth wheel. I just line that notch up with the kingpin by looking in the mirror. When I see the tailgate touch the brake/light cable, I know it is time to stop and get out to set the height.
Dual Pane Windows
Rear View Safety backup camera
Macerator system
northmeck0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #10

I am lucky enough to be able to see but I will agree slow and easy this is not the time to rush.

2016 F350 PSD
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:00 AM   #11

We use the "eye ball" magnetic camera. Had the same issue. Couldn't see the hitch at all in our crew cab Ford. We have a four panel bed cover that we use with three of the panels folded up when we are towing. The camera is magnetic and we set it up so that it looks right down on the jaws of the hitch. The receiver part is plugged into your cigarette lighter. When I'm hooked, both parts of the camera are stowed in the pouch behind the drivers seat until we need it again. Hooking up was a real pain until I purchased the "eye ball". The only down side is that the camera part runs off of a 9 volt battery. If you forget to turn it off after hooking, you'll need to replace the battery. All in all, it is very useful tool!!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #12

We use the Camco 44603 Magnetic Hitch Alignment Kit, under 15.00 at Amazon.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #13

My last Eagle came with a mounted mirror and now the 2014 no longer has this. Due to my tool box and bed cover I could never see the hitch until the mirror picked it up. I missed this on the last 2 hookups with the new unit and will be going with a suction cup mounted to my king pin during attachment. It will be removed upon hookup then easily removed and stowed. Amazon sells them for under $15.00 depending on size.

Also another key addition to the pin would be the Camco Accu Level for ease in setup. You can see it easily from your rear view mirror and will tell you what you need to do without even getting out of the TV.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #14

I lower the back of my rear seat. I place a piece of PVC pipe in the hitch slot. The pipe is T shaped so it stands up. The flat part of the T goes in the slot and the longer piece of PVC sticks up about a foot. I line the PVC up with my pin and just before backing completely under I remove the PVC.
tsbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #15

You can push the front of the 5th wheel (towards the truck rear window) all the way down so that it swivels up at the trailer side end and the opening jaws of the 5th wheel are elevated so you can see it, giving you a view to aim it at the pin. As you approach the trailer, back until the pin and 5th wheel are close. Stop and get out and swivel the 5th wheel back to the normal position. Do the normal stuff such as lower the trailer (landing gear) as much as possible so the pin box will ride up the back slope of the 5th wheel and the landing gear wont bind. Hook up the electric cable. Now back in the cab slide your trailer brakes to full and back under the trailer.

Also note that environmental (terrain slope) and physical characteristics of your truck/trailer rig (bed clearance, etc) can have an effect on the coupling process. If there is a difference in slope between the trailer and truck (trailer is level, truck is leaning to one side), this can cause difficulty in the coupling. But thats a discussion for another thread.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #16

I just removed the center seat headrest,, can see the hitch with no problem!!!
I-BEAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #17

I also used the red tape cut into the shape of an arrow. I also have a storage box in my truck bed right in the way so when I am hooked up, i put another piece of red tape in the shape of an arrow pointing at the trailer hitch and when the two line up I am all set. Just get out and check the overall height and that the latch is open. Works every time.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #18

Some smooth lines and wine?

exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #19

I have that big ugly mirror in front, don't know about the rest of you but, it does me no good.
2012 Dodge 3500
US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #20

I put tape on my hitch showing the center of the jaws, but it just takes some time doing it. I get out as I get close, grab the handle on the hitch and tilt it until it is level and see how close I am to the pin plate, I want them within a 1/8". I don't like backing up and lifting the pin into the slot, I like it level. If you can follow my gibberish. I still get sweaty palms when hooking up.
rbarker46 is offline   Reply With Quote