Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #21

It was a short 3 weeks for me on my OEM Raniers before I went up a load range and upgraded to Maxxis. Two areas of vehicle / trailer maintenance I never cheap out on are tires and brakes. Wheel bearings are another...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #22

Well, like you guys I didn't rush out and buy new tires, on any of the 3 TTs I've owned. I got a few thousand miles out of the TowMax on my last trailer before discovering one of them separating. Replaced that one with a Maxxis. 2 trips later I was about to go 3K miles and decided to change them out. I'd have never made it because 2 of the 3 were separating. By then I had probably towed 4K to 5K miles on them. I didn't get 3K miles out of the tires on my newest TT I just got in August. I'm really glad to hear that some are getting good service out of their factory tires. I didn't and I'm not part of the "change 'em out first thing" crowd... But I'm not ready to dismiss them after my own experiences.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:24 PM   #23

I don't know any better than anyone else. However this issue, for the larger units, is a simple math equation. My unit has over a 16,000 lb max weight, rolling on stock tires that total 14,000 lbs of max weight. Assuming 2500 lbs on the pin, all four tires are within 150 lbs each of their maximum. I prefer to not operate my equipment at 90% of its max capability. Particularly when the max capability has been manufactured in China.

Each to their own. We all gotta do what we all gotta do.....
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:08 PM   #24

Maybe I have bad luck with my Chinese tires. After pulling 3 fifth wheels in the 11K to 13K range the most I got out of these tires was 3K. 4 blowouts and three separated treads has really got me gun shy of OEM tires. I am currently running a set of MAXXIS 8008 tires on a 13.5K average 5er. My next door neighbor got 2500 miles out of a set of Rainers on his new Pinnacle before they separated. Last summer Jayco had a long back order for replacing the lower metal for their 5ers. I would suspect tires were the culprit. Just my experiences.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #25

I just ordered a new 2017 29rlds and saw some posts concerning Jayco starting to install Goodyear tires on their trailers. I contacted the factory and was told my trailer will have 15" D range Rainer tires. Hope to get a couple years out of them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
usmc1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
Maybe I have bad luck with my Chinese tires. After pulling 3 fifth wheels in the 11K to 13K range the most I got out of these tires was 3K. 4 blowouts and three separated treads has really got me gun shy of OEM tires. I am currently running a set of MAXXIS 8008 tires on a 13.5K average 5er. My next door neighbor got 2500 miles out of a set of Rainers on his new Pinnacle before they separated. Last summer Jayco had a long back order for replacing the lower metal for their 5ers. I would suspect tires were the culprit. Just my experiences.
All ST Maxxis tires are made in Tiwan.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #27
Site Team

I got lucky, but don`t let this happen to you!

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...out-23566.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
This is an argument that we can not win. I totally agree with your assessment but as I explained I have become a bit more conservative and recommend new rubber after 3 years and a very close watch in the 3d year. There are 10's of thousands TT's and 5'ers on the road at any given hour with only a few problems reported.

If you change out oem tires soon after purchase, I am strongly of the opinion that you are over killing the issue. But we will never change the minds of the "I know better" members who recommend an immediate change out of the oem tires. This is a use your best judgement and its your decision at the end of the day. After over 25000 miles in recent years with 2 TTs and 2 pups, I have experienced 1 blow out and it may well have been the result of a road hazard.

I didn't get 2,000 miles out of the original TowMax tires on my fifth wheel. I religiously checked the inflation before every trip, and the tires never hit any kind of obstruction. The belts on the tires completely separated and the tread bulged in the center. Again, this happened in less than 2,000 miles, 18 months after I purchased the trailer new.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote