Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #31
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
I have also read info from a tire maker, that ST tire sidewalls are designed to stand up to the sideways forces you get when turning a corner with tandem axles, and that LT and P tires don't have that feature. Just another angle on this whole controversial question.
That is very true. I read another article about dual tires and dual or triple axles called "Tire Safety What you may not know!" Here is the link Click Here

2007 Jayco Designer 31RLTS
2007 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty CC
2WD 6.0 Power Stroke Turbo Diesel
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #32
One of the links in a link referred to an easy way to see if a tire is over or under inflated. Draw a heavy chalk line across the tread of the tire. Roll a short distance on smooth pavement and watch how the chalk wears off. If it wears off on the outside first, it's underinflated. If the center wears off first, it's over inflated. It would take a little trial and error (or possibly a lot) to get figure out the inflation pressures on each tire but it could be easier than having to weight each tire and refer to a chart. Even if using a chart, it would be a good quick check.

Btw, both tires on an axle should be the same inflation pressure, using the higher pressure rating. If uneven wear is a concern, rotate them periodically.

Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #33
Site Team
I know that some manufacturers equipped fifth wheels with LT tires as OE. I had them on my last rig and had no more problems than with ST's.

I am sure that the increased failure rate of trailer tires is a combo of sitting without being used and being to close or over the tire rating. Cheap manufacturing and raw materials also contribute. If you are holding out for USA ST's, you won't have to do much research to find there is not much to choose from.

There will always be road hazard failures, no matter what you use.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #34
I agree with you norty1 about long periods of sitting and being loaded to near max capacity. I do check my tire pressure monthly to make sure they are always at rated inflation. My Designer tires are loaded to 3,000 lbs each (I weighed the rig) and they are rated at 3,420. I also wonder how many tire failures are on the right side from the tires being pulled over curbs and damaged or how many failures are on the rear tires. Every tire failure I have ever had on a tandem trailer has been on a rear tire. Maybe the front tire runs over something kicking it up and the back tire catches it? And don't forget ST tires are speed rated at 65. I'm sure not all of the trailers I see going down the interstates passing me have LT tires?

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #35
Have checked as suggested with Maxxis, and they say all their trailer tires are indeed made in a "state of the art" factory in Thailand. Also went to the link suggested by Mel, which is very informative about ST vs LT. Want you all to know that I really appreciate everyone's input on this subject, and I have learned a lot. As a result of your help and advice, come spring, I plan to go with a set of 235/80R16 Maxxis, and upgrade from load range D to load range E. Will also check at the time to make sure my rims are rated for the 80psi pressure of range E. Wish I could go to the 85s, but they are just enough larger in diameter to reduce my clearance between tires from 2 1/2 inches to less than 1 inch. Don't want to get that close, so will stay with the 80s. Thanks again to all !!
2003 Ford F-350 V-10 Crew Cab 4WD Long Bed
2004 Jayco Designer Medallion 29 RLTS 5th wheel
Bill, Gayle, and Mindi (dachshund)
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #36
another vote for Maxxis. I just had four Maxxis installed on our Designer. They look pretty good too.

Wayne & Marti ....Yogi the spoiled Dog
2012 Ford Lariat 4WD PSD Dually LB, Aux Tank 50 gal
2010 Designer 37 RLQS, 5th Airbourne w/Sidewinder
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote