Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #41

Tire shopping for our 36 FBTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
I have not received mine yet, and I don't know what their method of balancing is. Apparently you have concerns about one or the other. Please elaborate
I had randomly asked a tire dealer about the Goodyear, Sailuns and Maxxon several weeks ago. Please note I don't own an RV yet-- just researching all facets. But I have seen a large amount of fifth wheel dealers put very poor quality tires to save money on their MSRP. A Columbus Palomino rep agreed with me that he realizes that many customers plan to upgrade tires immediately after they buy. But I digress. I first heard about balancing beads from that local tire dealer. Evidently because of the weight of the fifth wheels and the fact that they often sit, where the tire goes out of round,and then back in operation. The balancing beads are sort of an on ongoing method to help maintain balance
I have nothing to compare it to. Nor have I received feedback from anyone I know that have seen their effect. I was hoping to hear from others here regarding their effectiveness . It makes sense if they work because what a pain it would be to take your 40' fifth wheel into a tire dealer to maintain balance on your tires. I also seriously doubt an RV dealer actually balances a tire correctly anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:14 PM   #42

Larry
I have never heard of the balancing beads. I don't know if I can agree with the theory that a tire/wheel combination would get out of balance just sitting. That's just my thought, not saying it's wrong. The tire "could" possibly get some what of a flat spot from sitting but once put in service I would believe it would go back to it's original shape. I have had vehicles sit for long periods of time and never noticed an issue when driven for the first time. I do agree that there are many rigs on the road that have never had the tires balanced and I believe that contributes to a lot of the failures we constantly hear about. An unbalanced tire/wheel with 1000's of pounds sitting on it while traveling at 60 mph is only going to tear itself apart at some point.

Good luck when you decide to take the plunge on a rig

Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #43

Quote:
Larry
I have never heard of the balancing beads. I don't know if I can agree with the theory that a tire/wheel combination would get out of balance just sitting. That's just my thought, not saying it's wrong. The tire "could" possibly get some what of a flat spot from sitting but once put in service I would believe it would go back to it's original shape. I have had vehicles sit for long periods of time and never noticed an issue when driven for the first time. I do agree that there are many rigs on the road that have never had the tires balanced and I believe that contributes to a lot of the failures we constantly hear about. An unbalanced tire/wheel with 1000's of pounds sitting on it while traveling at 60 mph is only going to tear itself apart at some point.

Good luck when you decide to take the plunge on a rig

Old 09-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #44
Site Team

I have used this in the past: KTB balancing liquid.. People that use it swear by it. I had it in my truck and trailer tires and had no problems with it contaminating the valves. Just remove the Schrader valve and pour the recommend amount in.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in this company.

https://ktbmanufacturing.com/wp-cont...e-Balancer.pdf

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:50 PM   #45

Interesting stuff, live and learn. Thanks for the info.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:38 PM   #46

Quote:
Interesting stuff, live and learn. Thanks for the info.
Texas RT-- well I still haven't heard any feedback from anyone that have used them yet-- only what the tire dealer said.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #47

Don't get ST's change your size to 235r80's and get a good LT truck tire. You will be happier and the price is cheaper
Skaggsryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:49 PM   #48

Did you get new rims as well or just new tires? My new 2015 36fbts also comes with towmax and i figured i would replace them before putting too many miles on it.

Thanks
Greg
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:09 PM   #49

Balancing beads (sand) is used by tire dealers that don't have spin balancing equipment. I allowed a dealer in Phoneix to put that in my 19.5 front tires in January. They didn't have balancing equipments? Recently had the F 450 aligned and the shop manager asked if I had a tire out of balance. I needed an alignment due to shaking while at highway speeds. They dismounted the tires and took out the beads and balanced (spin). The alignment wasn't need, it was the beads.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg 6 AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...albums843.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:47 AM   #50
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Has anyone ever heard of, or used these tires Karrier ST235/85R16 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range F.
I'm starting to shop around for tires for our 36 FBTS Pinnacle, I know many people recommend the G614's.
Check your rim pressure rating probably only its tagged in side that won't work with better tire ratings could blow rim apart tore my good friends leg apart when it exploded

My garage is offline   Reply With Quote