Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-15-2016, 07:25 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
JetTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Swanton
Posts: 113
So I feel like I'm missing something in the conversation here:

For everybody that traded out their wheels from 16's to 17.5's, was that because the 637's aren't made in a 16? If so, why not go with the 637T's showing on Sailun's site? Sailun Commercial Truck Tires: S637T HD ST Trailer

Yes, the load is higher than what you may need, but not by that much, and they advertise them as a 5th wheel tire. I guess the argument only stands if the factory wheels are able to take 110 psi. I'll have to crawl under mine and see what it's stamped for!

Just trying to make sense of it, as after reading some of the posts, I'm scared to continue running my factory tires on my 377RLBH! She's heavy for sure...
__________________

__________________


2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
TexasRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 417
JetTech
I personally went with the 17.5" setup over the 16" for the additional load capacity of the tires and wheels and the H rating was a plus also. The way I figure it, I'm increasing my total load capacity at the tires by about 5000# over what I had. It may be overkill but I would rather have way to much than the bare minimum (IE factory). I guess everyone has their personal preferences.
__________________

__________________
2015 Pinnacle 36FBTS
2015 F250 SD Platinum 4x4 - 6.7L PSD :
Titan 50 Gal. Fuel Tank
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:10 PM   #73
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Casselberry
Posts: 55
What are the towmax tires people speak of?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:42 AM   #74
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Wasaga Beach
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
What are the towmax tires people speak of?

Original equipment tires that come on Jayco's from the factory. Prone to blowout and separation. Says "TowMax" on the sidewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
JetTech
I personally went with the 17.5" setup over the 16" for the additional load capacity of the tires and wheels and the H rating was a plus also. The way I figure it, I'm increasing my total load capacity at the tires by about 5000# over what I had. It may be overkill but I would rather have way to much than the bare minimum (IE factory). I guess everyone has their personal preferences.
The 17.5's give you more load capacity and if you need new wheels anyway then if you want to spend more buy the 17.5's. I considered it myself but put 16's on the stock wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
So I feel like I'm missing something in the conversation here:

For everybody that traded out their wheels from 16's to 17.5's, was that because the 637's aren't made in a 16? If so, why not go with the 637T's showing on Sailun's site? Sailun Commercial Truck Tires: S637T HD ST Trailer

Yes, the load is higher than what you may need, but not by that much, and they advertise them as a 5th wheel tire. I guess the argument only stands if the factory wheels are able to take 110 psi. I'll have to crawl under mine and see what it's stamped for!

Just trying to make sense of it, as after reading some of the posts, I'm scared to continue running my factory tires on my 377RLBH! She's heavy for sure...
Sailun S637's come in a 16". I have 235/85-16's on my fiver since last fall. They are a bit taller than the stock tires but if you have enough distance between the tires you can use them.

The trailers come with 7k axles. If the tires are evenly loaded (probably not, would need to scale each wheel) then they are carrying 3500lbs each for a maximum.

Last winter I scaled my setup and had:
Truck - 5080lb front, 7640lb rear
Trailer- 11620lb

Airing tires up to carry 4800lbs/tire doesn't gain you any carrying capacity. As long as they are inflated within the safe range specified by the manufacturer it gains you no safety either. I know that with the Sailun's on vs the TowMax's things in my trailer take a lot more beating as more road bumps are transferred into the trailer.

My truck tires are max 80psi but I don't run them that high as I like some comfort. I run 65 all round unless I'm towing then I run 70 in the back.

In the end, you choose how you want to run tires depending on your comfort level.

Also, Sailun/GY614 will put a lot more deflection load on the suspension when turning tight. I cringe when backing my trailer in beside the house as the suspension gets all distorted
__________________
2011 Ford F350 CC LB DRW
2014 Eagle Premier 361REQS
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:09 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
TexasRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 417
I guess I need to clarify what I was talking about in regards to capacity.
With the increased overall load capacity of my new tires, I have NO intention of overloading my RV, I fully understand the axle rating I get it. That was not the reason for going to bigger tires. My point, which I guess I did a bad job of making is - having the extra load capacity is simply piece of mind that the tires "should" now be to handle the NORMAL loaded weight of the RV with no problem. Sorry for the confusion.
__________________
2015 Pinnacle 36FBTS
2015 F250 SD Platinum 4x4 - 6.7L PSD :
Titan 50 Gal. Fuel Tank
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:57 AM   #76
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Wasaga Beach
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
I guess I need to clarify what I was talking about in regards to capacity.
With the increased overall load capacity of my new tires, I have NO intention of overloading my RV, I fully understand the axle rating I get it. That was not the reason for going to bigger tires. My point, which I guess I did a bad job of making is - having the extra load capacity is simply piece of mind that the tires "should" now be to handle the NORMAL loaded weight of the RV with no problem. Sorry for the confusion.
No, I understood what you meant. I was just saying that no point inflating the tires to a capacity way beyond the axle rating as all you get is a harsher ride. We towed about 7500mi last winter and with the condition of the roads in the US stuff took a beating with the stiffer Sailuns. Framed pictures laying in the rear cabinets had the glass smashed, drawer contents got shaken a lot, etc.
__________________
2011 Ford F350 CC LB DRW
2014 Eagle Premier 361REQS
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:15 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
JetTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Swanton
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Sailun S637's come in a 16". I have 235/85-16's on my fiver since last fall.
Sorry for the confusion, it's just that I didn't see a 16" on Sailun's site listed for the S637, just the S637T. Maybe we're talking about the same thing? Seems like two entirely different tires though, so was clarifying!

Great info though! I'm sure the wife is just going to love it when I tell her the tires on our new RV are junk!
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:49 AM   #78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Wasaga Beach
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
Sorry for the confusion, it's just that I didn't see a 16" on Sailun's site listed for the S637, just the S637T. Maybe we're talking about the same thing? Seems like two entirely different tires though, so was clarifying!

Great info though! I'm sure the wife is just going to love it when I tell her the tires on our new RV are junk!
On the Cdn site they lump them all together Sailun Commercial Truck Tires: S637 Regional All-Position

US site separates them out. The 16's are an ST tire, I expect that's what the T suffix is referring to.

Up here 4 S637's m & b incl 13% tax cost me 1100$ and I sold the OE tires to a guy with a boat trailer for 200$.
__________________
2011 Ford F350 CC LB DRW
2014 Eagle Premier 361REQS
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:59 AM   #79
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central NY
Posts: 115
Just the fact that the "H" rated tire is a "tougher" tire all around is why I went to 17.5. I drove to South Dakota and back with my stomach in a knot before buying the Sailuns hoping nothing blew out. Now I have a much more relaxed ride (and so does the wife) knowing I have much better tires back there. I guess after seeing the inflation table I won't need to bump them up for the Florida trek. Thanks for posting that info.
__________________
2012 FORD F-350 SRW CREW CAB 6.7L DIESEL
2016 PINNACLE 36FBTS
Fingerlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #80
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Casselberry
Posts: 55
Just wondered-- I read someone said that you could possibly do suspension damage to your RV if you are using a tire rated higher that is heavier and stiffer than your trailer is rated for? Has anyone noticed with their Sailuns if this has resulted in a bumpier ride for your fifth wheel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.