Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2016, 04:55 PM   #1

Total exterior length?

We are looking at an Eagle fifth wheel travel trailer. On the website they have a measurement for total exterior length. We have a limited space for a trailer where it's going to be parked permanently. Is this measurement the absolute length of the trailer from the very front cap to the bumper?

We want to maximize the size of the trailer for the lot we have, and if we go over the length, we will get kicked out. That would be a bad thing.

Other trailer manufacturers say they measure from the center of the Pin to the bumper. Some of the front caps stick out 18 inches beyond the Pin.

The model we are looking at is the 291RSTS.

Thanks!
rvcouple1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:08 PM   #2

Not sure about 5ers but the listed exterior length on my trailer is bang on tip to tip.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #3

The listed length is the total overall.
Pin to bumper
It is listed like that for your exact reason...parking. If you had an indoor storage and needed to close the door you would need exactly the listed length to back it into the spot and touch the back wall with the bumper and clear the pin with the door.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #4

Klassic, Here is my issue...does the front cap extend beyond the pin on the 291RSTS? Per the book, the exterior travel length is 33' 5" and the total exterior length is 34'' 5". I am very close to my max length at 34' 5". I am hoping someone with this exact model can verify the length. None of my local dealers (within 500 miles ) has this model in stock.
rvcouple1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcouple1 View Post
Klassic, Here is my issue...does the front cap extend beyond the pin on the 291RSTS? Per the book, the exterior travel length is 33' 5" and the total exterior length is 34'' 5". I am very close to my max length at 34' 5". I am hoping someone with this exact model can verify the length. None of my local dealers (within 500 miles ) has this model in stock.
I'll call my salesman on Monday and see if they have one instock. If so he'd gladly go measure it. Unless someone can get the info before then.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcouple1 View Post
I just checked my NorthPoint, the furthest edge of my cap extends beyond the front edge of the pin box.
So yes the 291 would be 34'5 to where it extends past the pin if Jayco's numbers are correct.
You could call them and tell them your dilemma I'm sure they would be quite helpful if it meant selling to a new customer.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:27 AM   #7

Yep, physically measuring is the way to go. I know mine was 41' 10" (375BHFS) per the chart which I think is accurate to the pin box. Since I was getting a cover, I got a 2x4 and laid to the front cap to get the accurate measure. It ended up I think 42' 6". Definitely the registration is worthless, it says 44'. When I checked on that, it's for tax purposes for those lucky ones who live in states who tax on square footage.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote