Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #21

My recommendation is upgrading to the UConnect 3 at a minimum. I have he basic radio and let's just say it leaves a lot to be desired. The backup and bed cameras (if you decide in the bed camera) will display on the UConnect screen. My assumption is that you'll have a separate monitor for the camera that comes with the 377

As far as mirrors, I'm happy with the stock mirrors that come with the Ram, though IMHO they need to be in the up position for towing. I keep them down when not towing, but having the convex portion on the outside of the mirror took some getting used to.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
Also, on the newer trucks, Ford's and Rams are gonna have lower number (numerically) than the GM equivalents in SRW trucks. If you look at ford used, and can find a 350 drw with the camper package (I think that's what they call it) it's 4x4, and comes with the super 60 front end, (very tight turning radius) 4.30 gears, and I believe the bigger wheels (10 lug) and brakes

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2017, 07:38 PM   #23

Look at this review...just FYI.
https://youtu.be/5ncSbYaQ48I
Old 04-09-2017, 06:33 AM   #24

Great video! Especially for the likes of me, who knows very little about the distinction between the three. I was comparing the Dodge and Chevy yesterday, building and pricing them, and I couldn't find the option for self leveling suspension on the Chevy. Now I know why... it's Dodge only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:49 AM   #25

Yes, get the Uconnect 5.0 with the back up camera. It will not help you with the 5er at all but comes in very handy when parking or hooking up a regular trailer.

Do you homework and don't settle if you're buying new, or even order one. My Tradesman has all of the bells and whistles of an SLT minus the center console. Most of the dealers around here order them as true work trucks so when I found a loaded Tradesman I jumped on it. Also, make sure it has the 5er package.
campingn.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #26

Thanks. I'm going to get a Tradesman and just load it up. I'll get the Uconnect 5.0. I dont need a better radio, but the option of having the the backup camera projected on it seems worth it.

What about the fifth wheel hitch? It's about $1100 for Dodge to put one on. Or I can just get it prepped. Is a hitch a hitch? Are there better or cheaper options, and does it matter?

Old 04-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #27

The hard part of if installing a hitch is the under bed rails. If you get the prep, you can drop a hitch of your choice into the pucks (holes). $1100 is high for just the hitch. If it is the hitch and hitch prep, that would be another story.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #28

For me...I already had a B&W 18k slider mounted on rails in the 2500. So I didn't want the puck system in the new Ram so that I could reuse the rails and base for the B&W. If I didn't have a hitch already, I would've gotten the puck system and bought a hitch to work for that system. There's a bunch out there that will just slide into he Ram pucks and off you go. I wouldn't spend the $$ on the 5th wheel hitch from Ram. You are basically paying way to much money for a hitch that says Mopar on it! Just my .02 cents.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #29

I tow my 377RLBH with a 2500 RAM w/ 6.7 Cummins. Yes, I know that I would be "over" on my pin weight if I towed it conventionally. That said, I tow it with an Automated Safety Hitch, which I absolutely LOVE!!!! No "chucking", and the steerable feature of the ASH pushes the nose of the trailer right when I turn left, and left when I turn right, which acts the same as shortening my trailer length! Additionally, If I brake "hard", the pin isn't pushing down on my rear axle, and lifting my front axle, where 75%+/- of braking comes from. Instead, the trailer pushes down on it's OWN axle, which has the exact same disc-brakes that the RAM has!

Yes, it was an expensive hitch! But overall cost was FAR less than reading in a relatively new 2500 for a dually 3500, PLUS, I only have 6-wheels turning on the truck when I'm towing, not every day, like dually owners do....

Take a look at their website at The Automated Safety Hitch | Trailer Hitch | Gooseneck Horse Trailers | 5th Wheel RVs | Flatbed Goosenecks | Fifth Wheel . And, I've heard ALL of the "experts" comments on why this is "unsafe" or doesn't work".... Fact of the matter is, that haters shouldn't judge until the actually see one and tow a trailer with it!

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
I tow my 377RLBH with a 2500 RAM w/ 6.7 Cummins. Yes, I know that I would be "over" on my pin weight if I towed it conventionally. That said, I tow it with an Automated Safety Hitch, which I absolutely LOVE!!!! No "chucking", and the steerable feature of the ASH pushes the nose of the trailer right when I turn left, and left when I turn right, which acts the same as shortening my trailer length! Additionally, If I brake "hard", the pin isn't pushing down on my rear axle, and lifting my front axle, where 75%+/- of braking comes from. Instead, the trailer pushes down on it's OWN axle, which has the exact same disc-brakes that the RAM has!

Yes, it was an expensive hitch! But overall cost was FAR less than reading in a relatively new 2500 for a dually 3500, PLUS, I only have 6-wheels turning on the truck when I'm towing, not every day, like dually owners do....

Take a look at their website at The Automated Safety Hitch | Trailer Hitch | Gooseneck Horse Trailers | 5th Wheel RVs | Flatbed Goosenecks | Fifth Wheel . And, I've heard ALL of the "experts" comments on why this is "unsafe" or doesn't work".... Fact of the matter is, that haters shouldn't judge until the actually see one and tow a trailer with it!
I also think it's a good product. I considered it, but it was more fun to get a new truck! It cost me way more money, but way more fun!
Old 04-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #31

I've seen some of your earlier posts FireInstructor, and I've checked it out. Although I would love to get away with a SRW, it looks like this would add about 8-10' to the overall length. With a 42 footer, this is intimidating me :-)

Old 04-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #32

So here's where I am on the truck. If anyone has strong opinions--or any opinions-- or if I'm completely misguided and full of it--please weigh in before I pull out the checkbook :-)

I'm going with the 2017 Tradesman, Crew Cab, diesel Dually. I considered upgrading to LST in order to get the mega cab. I have four kids and a wife. But we sat in a few yesterday. The legroom is virtually the same and I can't justify paying $7,000 more just for the kids to recline a bit (and for the little extra cargo space). Most of our trips will be a few hours at most, and even on long trips we'll probably break it up with stops. The kids can suck it up!

I was going to get a 4x2, but decided on the 4x4 for the "insurance" of that one time I might need it, and because the consensus seems to be that you get that money back in resale value.

I was going to go AISIN transmission but even the dealer told me it was unnecessary and that the 68rfe is more than capable. And if it breaks after the warranty period, I won't be paying that much more to fix it than what I'll pay up front to upgrade to AISIN in the first place.

I plan to get the 4.10. It seems the 3.73 is plenty capable, but I've never seen any body (in the context of pulling an RV) complain that they regret going 4.10. I was afraid it would be wound tight going down the highway without a load, and have been told that since they added a sixth gear, that isn't an issue. I'll get a few mph less unloaded, and probably a few mpg better while towing.

I will upgrade to the Uconnect 5.0 so the backup camera will be displayed on it rather than in the rear view mirror. Can't get a cargo camera on the Tradesman (?!), but have already coordinated with a custom truck place to get an aftermarket cargo bed camera with a switch so that I can alternate between both cameras on the display (about $4-500). I'd like to get the 377 rear view camera to display in it as well, but they don't think they can do that.

I'm getting the auto level suspension. I don't know if I need it. People here have suggested it's worthwhile. Buddy who has a new loaded Ram and heavy fifth wheel says I don't need it. I figure I'll err on the "just get it" side.

So basically it will be a loaded Tradesman... everything except the AISIN transmission. Oh and except the hitch. I'll get the prep, but I've been advised that the stock 5th wheel hitch from Dodge is too expensive, so I'll have to figure out what to get as an alternative.

MSRP for all of this is somewhere around $55k. Dealer is telling me it will be $7-8k under that. I still have to verify the price and that this is a fair deal.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #33

Sounds good to me. That truck will be close to identical to mine. I think you can get closer to $10k off of sticker tho.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #34

Sounds like you'll have no issues at all towing your 377 [emoji3]

Old 04-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #35

Nice choice, you'll have no issues with that selection
DownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #36

Just fyi...

I have a 2013 F350 6.7 SRW with a STANDARD 3.55 ratio. And it's more than capable of towing heavy weight. As engines evolve, so does horsepower and torque. Ford took the best of both worlds and made it as friendly on fuel as possible while retaining tow capability. Most newer Super Duty's have a standard 3.55 until you upgrade to a dually, then it changes to 3.73's and 4.30's. And yes, there's even a 3.31 (depending on package).

Just though I'd throw that out there. Not every towing situation NEEDS 3.73's. Hence, Ford only offer's 3.55's until you get a DRW..or you S/O them.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #37

I tow my 377 with 2017 F350 DRW with 4:10 gear ratio and dealer also ordered it with camper package. I don't think this much truck is needed and probably could of got away with the SRW. But never can go wrong with to much truck I guess.
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJoker TX View Post
I tow my 377 with 2017 F350 DRW with 4:10 gear ratio and dealer also ordered it with camper package. I don't think this much truck is needed and probably could of got away with the SRW. But never can go wrong with to much truck I guess.

I think you may feel that way because you have a suitable truck for the job. Those new duallies are beasts! Would love a 17 f350 myself [emoji3]

Old 04-12-2017, 05:41 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I think you may feel that way because you have a suitable truck for the job. Those new duallies are beasts! Would love a 17 f350 myself [emoji3]

Me too! But can't justify the $80K price tag. My first home was cheaper. I guess you can opt for a XL or XLT and lower that to...let's say...$65-72K.

That's just crazy.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:48 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Me too! But can't justify the $80K price tag. My first home was cheaper. I guess you can opt for a XL or XLT and lower that to...let's say...$65-72K.

That's just crazy.

Agreed it's crazy. But I'd have to have at least a Lariat. I like all the gadgets! [emoji3]