Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2017, 06:03 AM   #41

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
I tow a 339flqs with a SRW 06 6.0l psd F250, and have 3.73s with 35 inch tires, it's way over capable for towing heavy as well, I am extremely pleased with how the 250 handles the weight, it drives and accelerates fine, and stops great too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2017, 06:45 AM   #42

See, I'm lucky. I've never had a truck, and my current car is a '96 Maxima with 320,000 miles. Getting the lowest end Tradesman is such a leap into the future for me that it feels like having all the gadgets!

The only second guessing that I'm doing is over the Mega cab. I hope I don't regret going Crew with a family of six, but I've got to draw the line somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:50 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire View Post
The only second guessing that I'm doing is over the Mega cab. I hope I don't regret going Crew with a family of six, but I've got to draw the line somewhere.

I don't think you'll be missing anything. I only wanted the mega-cab because of the space behind the seats for tools and such. I don't think my kids even know that the seats recline.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:00 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Agreed it's crazy. But I'd have to have at least a Lariat. I like all the gadgets! [emoji3]

Yea, I refused to pay for the king ranch or platinum versions because of price. I got the Lariat version with 2 tone paint and Lariat Ultimate package with the giant moon roof, ultimate trailer towing camera package, camper package and upgraded tires, window tint, spray bedliner and transfer of my airbag system out the door with TTL for $59k. I did have 4K in postive trade equity from my 2015 SuperDuty and I put down another 5k.
Attached Thumbnails
FC761028-4C89-438C-8430-4CDA502D43D2.jpg  
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:14 AM   #45

That's not a bad price at all. You got all the options I would get too. I like my 14 platinum but man those new super duties are nice!

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #46

Pur-dee!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #47

very nice setup, congrats
DownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #48

Quote:
See, I'm lucky. I've never had a truck, and my current car is a '96 Maxima with 320,000 miles. Getting the lowest end Tradesman is such a leap into the future for me that it feels like having all the gadgets!

Weighing in kind of late here, but just a couple notes I took when ordering my Ram last year:

I'm fairly certain, unless something has changed recently, that going with the mega-cab eliminates the possibility of having DRW as an option. The reason for that is that the bed length drops from 8' down to 6'4", which won't accommodate the fender flares. I actually wanted a crew cab dually with the 6'4" bed, and it also wasn't possible. The only way I was able to order my '16 with DRW's was going with the 8' bed. This also eliminates the option for the RAM box option. (That option, by the way, narrows the bed considerably as well, and will not allow the highly recommended fifth wheel prep. That may have changed for the '17's, just not sure, but the more you know...)

The Ram hitch is a modified Curt hitch. I really like mine. In less than 2 minutes, with the prep and this hitch, you and a helper can remove your hitch from the bed and enjoy helping this same buddy move out of his ex's house should the need arise! lol

If you get the Ram credit card, and put your down payment on it, you'll earn points, and can spend the points on a hitch! Plus, there's likely extra points earned to also spend elsewhere. Just an option. Gotta play the game right?! Though I've heard of one guy who had the dealer throw in the hitch for free. I'm guessing he got less of a discount on his MSRP though...

I wanted the Aisin, but was unable to order one as they were completely out of stock for a few months. My research at the time was that it was a hardier transmission than the 68RFE. I ended up with the 68RFE, but wonder what happens if you consistently tow at the higher end of the truck's capacity. Time will tell, but so far, no issues... So far...

The airbags are a must. Even with the 3500 dually, putting 3000 lbs in the bed of it, it settles down several inches. The bags lift it right back up to where it belongs, and watching my mother-in-laws wig blow around her face at the perfect ride height and highway speeds: PRICELESS! If only...

We had a 2500 with the factory air, 4 link suspension for a short while, and LOVED it, but unfortunately, it didn't have the payload capacity to handle our fifth wheel. The 3500 differs from the 2500 in that, at least in the '16's, it was leaf springs with airbags versus the 2500's airbag-only setup (no springs at all, just the airbags). In the 2500, you could adjust the ride height and rebound in the rear. In the 3500, because of the leaf springs, the bags are only used to level the load.

The backup and cargo camera are a very nice add-on, but while I had hoped the cargo camera would assist in lining up the hitch and pin, the reality is that the camera view is so wide, it's difficult to make out on the screen. If you look close, you can see it, but in reality, looking over your shoulder is preferred. On the other hand, the backup camera with the UConnect overlays some lines on the screen that curve as you turn the steering wheel showing you where the truck is heading. VERY useful with the wider dually. With the park assist, you hear tones as you get close to objects as well.

I added the extra alternator, not necessarily because I needed it, but because the option was less than half the cost of a replacement alternator, and it was fairly cheap insurance keeping me on the road should the first alternator give out. Where do I see a difference? Honestly, the wife wanted heated seats, and that is one place I notice the extra juice: they warm up in frozen Ohio's winters in no time flat, and I never once have seen my lights give that momentary dim when kicking on the extra amperage needed to warm our butts up! And one guy posted on the Ram forums a graph of how much amperage is available at idle versus at highway speeds. It was much lower than I would have thought. With two alternators, you have double the power available to you. You won't need 600+

Like you, I priced up the tradesman with options first (in my case, I had to convince my beautiful wife of the need and economics of it all...), and found that most of the options I wanted were included in the price of the Big Horn. We went with cloth seats (not a fan of leather anyways) which gave us the ability to have six belted seats. You might find that, with options, you're closer to one of the other packages than you think.

One last note that I wish I'd known about when pricing things up: If you haven't found it on the RAM site, there's an official site that helps with towing capacities and any number of other technical info concerning current years RAM trucks: http://www.rambodybuilder.com/year.pdf

Hope the info helps! (Please don't put your mother-in-law in the back at highway speeds. That's 45 mph, at best!)

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:49 PM   #49

tow vehicle question for 377RLBH

The mega cab can be had in a DRW. My neighbor has one. I also think that bookemdanno just got one
Here's one for sale

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=172446071

Old 04-13-2017, 12:02 AM   #50

Quote:
The mega cab can be had in a DRW. My neighbor has one. I also think that bookemdanno just got one
Here's one for sale

I totally stand corrected! When I had mine built, I was denied two things: Aisin, and the 6'4" DRW! The Aisin was out of stock, the short bed, I was told, was not even an option. Perhaps it was grayed out due to stock as well... I've gotten used to the long bed now, so not looking backwards!
Old 04-13-2017, 06:14 AM   #51

Quote:
Here's one for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
I totally stand corrected! When I had mine built, I was denied two things: Aisin, and the 6'4" DRW! The Aisin was out of stock, the short bed, I was told, was not even an option. Perhaps it was grayed out due to stock as well... I've gotten used to the long bed now, so not looking backwards!
Yep...love my dually mega-cab.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1474.jpg  
Old 04-13-2017, 06:47 AM   #52

She's a beauty!

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
Old 04-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #53

Thanks for all the info jettech.

Another question for everyone. Is there any room to put a cargo box or something in the truck bed without interfering with the hitch and trailer. It would be nice to be able to throw backpacks and miscellaneous in the bed and keep it covered.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #54

I couldn't say from personal experience, but I have seen a crew-cab with a 5er in tow utilizing one of those low profile tool boxes.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:21 AM   #55

As long as the truck box sits below the rails, you should be ok. Of course you'll have no extra space for firewood or the like.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #56

Quote:
Thanks for all the info jettech.

Another question for everyone. Is there any room to put a cargo box or something in the truck bed without interfering with the hitch and trailer. It would be nice to be able to throw backpacks and miscellaneous in the bed and keep it covered.

Is this question for a specific truck? I have a long bed Ford, and have a regular toolbox that sits over the edges with no issues

Old 04-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #57

Old 04-13-2017, 07:06 PM   #58

2017 Ram 3500 Dually is what I'm asking about. I just didn't know if putting something like that in the bed would foul the trailer or hitch. Sounds like just depends.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:14 PM   #59

2007 F350 SRW to tow 377RLBH

I may have screwed up. My wife and I were looking at TT and 5ers with a max weight of 9500-11,000lbs. I bought a 2007 F350 SRW Long Bed with 6.0 diesel with only 108k.....already bullet proofed. I can tow 15,500 5th wheel and according to ford i have a 4300 lb payload and RAWR is 6900lbs.

Well we looked and looked and she has found the coach she just HAS to have and it is this 377RLBH beast of a camper. I didn't think we were going this high on our first camper but she loves this layout.... We found one that is approx 13,800. I get that I am still a good 1800lbs under the capacity but what I am worried about is Pin Weight and about how much weight we will take on the trailer. Pin weight according to Jayco is 2725 so that seems to be well under my limit of 4300lbs.

We would also be loading gear for 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 bikes, and a potential dog.

I have the means to upgrade in a year or two if we really love camping. Can i roll with this truck for now or do i need to seriously reduce our expectations of what we can tow.

If this has been posted before I apologize i've trolled the forums for hours and couldn't find anything.

Jody
jrdavis82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #60

I think you'll be close, but IMHO you will still be good. I'm coming from towing my 377 with a '14 2500 with a payload of 2025. I was WAY over. But honestly it pulled it pretty darn good, but I always had that nagging payload in the back of my mind. And now I have a '16 3500 dually. No more nagging. If that's what she wants (You, I, and everyone know that you're going to buy her the 377). I say go for it, see how it works out, and when feasible keep an eye out for a dually or newer single rear wheel with more payload. But honestly, that payload # isn't bad for a '07!