Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #1

Towing 40 FT with 1 Ton SB??

Please, anyone towing jayco 40 ft with short bed, please let me know your experience, how it handles, rides. Am looking at 2010 F350, SB, SRW, CC, 4x4.
Thanks
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
Please, anyone towing jayco 40 ft with short bed, please let me know your experience, how it handles, rides. Am looking at 2010 F350, SB, SRW, CC, 4x4.
Thanks
The lenth of the trailer should not be a problem, But the weight of the trailer. Make sure that you are with in the weight limits of your tow vehicle. You may have to get a Slider hitch for tight turns and maneuvering in tight spots. I assume the trailer has 3 axles being that long. Pin weight may be another factor. is your truck gas or diesel? is the truck a Super duty? You do not say which trailer or the weight. You need to know all of this info. If your truck is gas it may not be feasible with a trailer that size. Furnish all of the information and someone can help you.
https://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #3

Type of Truck

The short box is a F350 Ford, cc,sb,srw, diesel, super duty. To pull 40 foot pinnacle, trailer is two axel, hope this helps with my question about short box. Thanks for all responses
Old 06-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #4

I have a 2011 37 rlqs eagle witch is 39foot 4inches and I pull it with a 2012 sb f 350 cc diesel, you hardly know it is back there and before the new trk I pulled it with a 2004 chev sb ext cab 2500 duramax with no problem, my 5th wheel came with a dry weight of 12,200 lb.
gowesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #5

I just pulled our 2012 Jayco 365BHS (40' overall) with our 03 Silverado 3/4 ton sb with Duramax/Allison from Des Moines Iowa to southern Missouri without any problems. If I was pulling it all the time I'd probably get a dually but she pulled and stopped it for nearly 400 miles without any troubles.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #6

40 ft Pinnacle

We initially pulled our 36RETS (40 ft total) with an F250 Diesel Super Duty short wheel base. We had a slider hitch but never had to use it. The front cap of the Pinnacle has that radius edge which helps a lot with the short wheel base. We traded for a 2012 F350 King Ranch Diesel long wheel base with dual rear wheels because there was too much weight on the rear wheels. We traded for safety reasons mainly to get the dual wheels. However, after pulling with the long wheel base we found that the visibility for backing was much better with the long wheel base.
DonandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #7

Thanks Don an Donna for info

Thank you. I am still leaning toward short box, srw, because will be driving as only vehicle.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
Thank you. I am still leaning toward short box, srw, because will be driving as only vehicle.
Pretty much a newbie, and have not towed much, but I bought a combo of 06 F350 diesel DRW CC long box and an 07 Designer 36RLTS from friends. I love everything about it except driving the truck without tow uses as much fuel as with 5er! I really like driving the truck, but there are limitations, parking spaces, etc. I feel like I probably have more truck than absolutely necessary, when I see what others pull with, but I guess, better safe than sorry. As has been said before, rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Happy Trails!
oldtrojan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #9

I pull my 40ft Eagle with a 03 DRW LB CC. I use it daily but not long distances. IMHO if you are going to do a few trips a year locally with one longer one the SB will work for you. If however you are going to do 5-10K a year in it I would take another look.

Keep in mind also that the driving you experience from the dealer is going to change once you get it home and load it up. While the engine and tranny are pretty much the same your rear will be a lot heavier in the dually. There are 4 tires underneath your load in the rear should something go out for you to limp to a safe pull off location and a little more stable overall due to it's width.

As far as loaded ride goes between the LB and SB without having driven both I could not compare. At the end of the day it's a personal choice based on a lot of factors and if more than 90% of the time it's going to be unloaded you'll probaly be fine with your choice above.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #10

Greetings Skypilot... We have a 2011 365BHS (overall 40') pulled by a 2005 Chevy 2500 HD (Duramax/Allison) with Edge Controller. "Max", the pickup, has NO PROBLEMS pulling the rig - even in the mountains of Colorado - and we have THOUSANDS of miles on both. I do recommend, however, that you consider upgrading your BRAKES to other than stock. I put heavy duty brakes on mine and am CONSIDERING (fairly cost prohibitive right now) and engine exhaust brake. The Allison tranny in the Chevy does a GREAT job slowing me down when needed, so it's not CRITICAL for me right now. Short bed is FINE and I've had to maneuver in some TIGHT places WITHOUT using the slider feature of my fifth wheel receiver. Just take is slowly when backing up (there's no rush - you're camping, right!!) and watch. Have fun!!

2015 Seneca 37TS ("Screaming Eagle")
2009 Hummer H3 ("Ranger")
2005 Chevy 2500HD ("Max")
2008 MasterCraft X-15 ("One More Time")
WeylanBryant is offline   Reply With Quote