Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #1

Towing ATV trailer behind 5th wheel

Has anyone pulled a 14ft atv trailer behind their 5th wheel? Is this common and is this safe? Any information would be helpful. I cannot decide between the new Seismic 355 Wave or the Eagle 355MBQS and occasionally pulling a 6x14 foot trailer with our UTV behind the 355MBQS. There is a hitch mounted on the back of the 355. What are your thoughts on this subject?

Thanks,

Greg
gandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #2

First I cannot say what you should do or not do. Every person and rig is different. I pull a rzr behind a 36reqs pinnacle out west and back every year . Year before last almost 5,000 miles . I had a weld shop build and weld a hitch on . Made sure it was designed and over built . Michigan is now 75ft but most states are 60/65 max length for double towing. Thing I did learn is to use tire bonnets for tying down the UTV because of the movement . I also have a rear camera to see the hitch and tires . Three of our group double tows every year. Below is a picture of what I tow . Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436396247.016598.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	19113
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandrea View Post
Has anyone pulled a 14ft atv trailer behind their 5th wheel? Is this common and is this safe? Any information would be helpful. I cannot decide between the new Seismic 355 Wave or the Eagle 355MBQS and occasionally pulling a 6x14 foot trailer with our UTV behind the 355MBQS. There is a hitch mounted on the back of the 355. What are your thoughts on this subject?

Thanks,

Greg
Greg, be damn sure it's legal in your state, as well as the states where you want to travel to. This is a reg that does NOT cross state lines. You'll also have length and weight limitations and you need to know those. Here in AZ it is legal to double-tow and I see it frequently. Our OAL is 75', and you are =supposed= to stay within the GCWR restrictions of your tow vehicle; that's the TOTAL weight of truck and both trailers, loaded. We also have a brake restriction on trailers > 3k lb capacity; it =has= to have brakes of some sort. You can also look as swivel-wheel platforms as an alternative, but they are the RV world's equivalent of "50 Shades of Grey", as rules and regs on them are so arcane that you frequently can't get a straight answer from =anyone=.

Lyle
LAKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #4

We pull an atv trlr behind our 5w. Here in Montana your overall length is based on the truck gvwr. But I understand that you cannot pull doubles in some states, nor Canada.

Deb, Dan & Missy (mixed breed rescue dog)
2015 Eagle Touring 28.5RKDS
1995 Ford Diesel
LoveCamping58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #5

It is legal to double haul in Alberta, but not B.C.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ehtowguide.pdf
bigskydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:19 AM   #6

Triples are legal in Colorado - under 70 ft I think

link to look up
http://towingworld.com/towinglawsbystate.cfm?state2=CO

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #7

I know will upset some people but being a retired trucker I think one of the most dangerous rig on the road is the RVer pulling doubles most of which can't even see the second trailer.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruckerbob View Post
I know will upset some people but being a retired trucker I think one of the most dangerous rig on the road is the RVer pulling doubles most of which can't even see the second trailer.
X2
Old 07-14-2015, 05:02 PM   #9

xtruckerbob, I take a little exception to your remark. I have towed double since 1993 and have yet to see a wreck involving a fifth-wheel pulling another trailer. I happen to believe that most of us towing double are overly cautious and take very few chances and, therefore, have very few accidents. You are right about not being able to see the second trailer, but if you do see it, you are probably going to have an accident due to sway, or you are going around a corner and can see it in the inside mirror surface. I know my experience is probably not as vast as yours, just thought I would share my ideas with you.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal0710 View Post
have yet to see a wreck involving a fifth-wheel pulling another trailer.
X-2 and we've traveled in every state in the lower 48 except Nebraska.