Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #1

Towing Issues

I seem to have a problem I cannot identify. I do believe the Smart People here can help me solve it.
I went Camping this last weekend on my longest trip since i purchased my Eagle Premier 361 REQS last July. My wife and I went to the Beach in Florida about a 4.5 hour trip.
My Problem is that i keep getting these jolts as we are driving down the road.
At first i thought that it is just a 5th Wheel issue, and dismissed it as something that I will have to live with, but this last trip it kept getting worse.
I would go 10-20 minutes with just smooth driving and then for 10 minutes or so i would get a heck of a beating. It was really pronounced on this trip.
It does not manifest when I am accelerating but when i am just driving normally.

Help, I am planning on a 12+ hour trip soon and do not want to live with this issue the whole trip.
Thanks
Old 06-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #2

First do you have a Mor Ryde pin? If so then the "chucking" should not be from the pin. If you don't then you need to consider one. The chucking builds as you drive an you need to offset the frequency of the cycle by braking. It can go for miles as you drive over certain road conditions. I towed a few without one and could not take it any longer. Cement roads with expansion joints have to be the worst!

If you have a pin cushion of some type then I would lead towards a faulty brake connection somewhere. It sounds like your brakes may be engaging as you drive which could be a number of issues from the controller all the way back to the brakes.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #3

I do not have the pin, but it seems to me that it is more of a break issue as it pushes the front end down each time. I can accelerate and it will stop, so you mat be correct. I am still under warranty and in need of suggestions.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #4

Definitely not normal for a 5th wheel, as opposed to a hitch trailer; should just smoothly travel down the road.

Seems to be brake related, does the jolting feel like you are manually hitting the trailer brakes? Assuming its a problem with power to the brakes, something is supplying power to the brakes; - could be anywhere as 3'senough states- faulty controller, wiring, the emergency brake switch?
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #5

Is it a surging or jolting, when you brake? My TT was surging as I braked...it required a simple adjustment onmjy brake controller.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #6

I once had a wire in the plug of trailer wireing come loose inside and it would touch the blinker wire... Every time the blinker would flash it sent 12V to the brakes.. Thankfully I figured it out quick and I was going slow.

Being new It could be lot of things but more then likely it is something stupid.

Can we assume the road didn't change in your above statement of being great then crappy?

I agree with everyone else if the road is smooth and your aren't breaking the 5th wheel should just glide behind you like it isn't there.

Have you checked your tire pressure?
Does the trailer bounce? looking in your mirror do you see the tires flexing a bunch?

I would take a look at your plug if you can without destroying it, should be a simple screw to allow the outer shield to slide down. If everything is tight, no loose strands ETC then I would check under the pin on the trailer to see if there is any connection points there.

Do you have an air style of hitch? wonder if it is low on air.

Let us know what happens.
David
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrgs12 View Post
I do not have the pin, but it seems to me that it is more of a break issue as it pushes the front end down each time. I can accelerate and it will stop, so you mat be correct. I am still under warranty and in need of suggestions.
You state that it pushes the front end down. Brakes would pull you from behind if only the trailer brakes were engaging which has me leaning at the "chucking" a heavy pin weight has on a pickup.
Short bed? Pin weight?

Chucking can be pretty severe under certain conditions and it will keep shaking you and your passengers forward and backward until you break the cycle by braking or accelerating. A pin cushion will remove this effect 90% or more.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:54 AM   #8

road conditions were pretty much unchanged. I will look at the plug, but from every thing i am reading it is probably a "chucking issue". I am pricing the Mor Ryde system and looking at alternatives. Going to try the weight distribution solution and see if that will help.
Thanks for all the comments, I am proud to have access to the amount of knowledge that Jayco Owners will share.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #9

do you have sway control on your tv
mike449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #10

No just stock 2006 6.0L F250 4x4 with rear air bags.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #11

I am towing the same trailer with a F350 and the MorRyde pin box. After about two thousand miles of towing I have not experienced the problem you are having. Others advised me to order the MorRyde to minimize the checking.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #12

On our first 5er we had a standard pin box and axles and we experienced 'chucking'. The trailer had a rear kitchen and after driving through Alabama (I-59) and LA on our way to Texas we had shelves in the cabinet break and everything was jostled around. Our next trailer had a Mor-Ryde pin box and what a difference. This Pinnacle has both Mor-Ryde axles and Pin box and it is the smoothest towing trailer I have owned. Hope you come up with a good solution to your issue.

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #13

Agree with all the above, but one other thing to mention. Weight on the truck should be at least 25% of the trailer weight on a 5er. We tow an 11,000 lb Designer 5er with the standard factory pin box, and weight on the F350's hitch is around 2,800 lb. In 3 years of towing this particular trailer, we have never had a chucking issue. Just rides along as if it weren't there, regardless of road conditions. Maybe you should check your pin weight and see if it is too light.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #14

if your towing on flat ground in high gear or OD there is harmonics generated through your drivetrain because your ECM is thinking load then fuel efficiency all and is constantly adjusting therefore causing the harmonics in tiur driveshaft. The next time it does it, drop your tranny into M-4 or 5 ( if you have that feature on your 06. ) or put it to the rug for few seconds. If the problem goes away, visit a local Cat scale and check your axle weights. Think you may find part of your problem being unbalanced load. If you had a gasser, you wouldn't experience this. Newer diesel ECM's are very smart, constntly searching for load situations and reducing fuel to give better economy. They know you have a hell of a load behind you and are ready to respond to fuel commands before you are. They search for the best position to be and get confused at low rpm, high torque situations. If you balance the load the best you can on the TV vs TT the issue will sort of subside but not go away.
I tow with a 2011 6.7, have the same issue towing an 11000 lb TT. I run that thing hard, above 1500 rpm to keep load consistent so the ECM constantly sees load. The Moride will help but puts a bandaid on core cause.
Firefighter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #15

I am hauling a 2007 385BHS with a lifted 05 F350 with air bags in the rear, standard pin box, but like tinlizzie23 stated I have 2450lbs over my rear axle of my truck. I haul my 5er in OD and the only time I had any issue with jolting was when my brakes were engaging every time I turn on my blinker(water got in the connection). I would try lowering your hitch in the bed of the truck to add more weight over the rear axle. I hauled my about 3,000 miles on Michigan roads going back and forth from Metro Detroit area to the Upper Peninsula multiple times. if anyone lives in Michigan you know how crappy our roads are..
RDNX0528 is offline   Reply With Quote