Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #21

The brake system is one of the best features on a Tundra. I would much rather be driving this vehicle under those circumstances than the Silverado. I also installed a high dollar brake controller and am very comfortable with my desision. I certainly hope however that I'm never in a situation of that nature.
Myles6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles6543 View Post
The brake system is one of the best features on a Tundra. I would much rather be driving this vehicle under those circumstances than the Silverado. .
Please explain this as my 2500HD has 4 wheel disk brakes.I only ask ask as i dont know jack about the tundras other than the locals here gripe about fuel burn.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #23

Hi Poohbear,
I am not by any means recommending that you run out and buy a Tundra. I am sure the brake system on the Silverado is quite adaquate for any situation that it was intended to do. I was just impressed with the 2007 Tundra that I had, but was concerned about the small V-8 that was in it so then I went out and bought a 2008 Silverado Diesel 2500.
I drove it for about a year and really missed the comfort and ride of the Tundra, so I traded it for a new Tundra with the larger V-8 and a Tow Package. It rides like a nice car and it has amazing brakes. I am no brake expert either and won't pretend to be. If your happy with your Silverado then I highly recommend that you stick with it.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #24

Smile

Dont worry about me ever owning another Toyota pickup.I tried once to go to 1/2t pu but they just wont do what i need em to do but I work out of mine,not saying they are bad trucks-just not for me.I do like the 1/2t ride when not loaded . I wont even get 1/2t vans for my ac service business anymore.i was just curious about what was so special about Tundra brakes,i'm a trivia freak.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #25

Wouldn,t give up my duramax for nothing but a max 2009 chevy max an 2010 313rks don,t even know it,s back there an 15.9 mpg with trailer.22.4 without city/hwy
Campgroundghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:09 AM   #26

Thats incredible milage I must say. I'll stick with the Tundra untill I retire and start traveling more. Then I'll probably go to a 2500, but I will stick to a gas engine unless diesel prices drop dramatically.Right now I only pull the camper about a mile and a half to and from the campsite, 4 or 5 times a year. But I have to drive 300 miles to get there. Might as well be comfortable for now.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles6543 View Post
Thats incredible milage I must say. I'll stick with the Tundra untill I retire and start traveling more. Then I'll probably go to a 2500, but I will stick to a gas engine unless diesel prices drop dramatically.Right now I only pull the camper about a mile and a half to and from the campsite, 4 or 5 times a year. But I have to drive 300 miles to get there. Might as well be comfortable for now.
A diesel will probably get almost twice the mileage of a gas burner while towing so the cost of the fuel is probably better with the diesel!
Adopt a shelter pet!

2009 Jayco Designer 37RLQS
2011 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Dually
20K Curt Q5 hitch
av8arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran1 View Post
Miles, what is done is done, but for what is worth, I Love my Tundra. I never owned a Diesel. But for an all purpose, daily truck with lots of power and then some, Tundras are pretty awesome IMO.
I know folks that pull 31 feet TT and even 5th wheelers with Tundras (though I would not recommend) and are happy with their performance

Dont stress yourself out over that decision, especially if the wife is happy. Dude, you did right! :-)
I own 3 Chevy trucks an by far if your thinking about a Diesel your better with a 2010 chevy with the p filter at this point when I want to go up hill I want to go an the engine brake is also great. 2010 313rks 2009 duramax. Be safe happy camping KEN.
Campgroundghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #29

Nuts? No. You made a decision that many of us RV owners must make. Not all of us can have a dedicated tow vehicle, so we need to balance our needs. I have a 2008 2500 Duramax, but I also have a Jayco 29.5 RKS fiver - that would be a bit heavy for the Tundra. It's a great towing combo, but the truck is a little tough around town. Although I do get 21 mpg solo on the freeway and 12 towing. In town solo driving sucks that down to about 14 mpg. I'm lucky as my commute when needed is only 12 miles R/T, so I leaned toward the "grunt" side. Cheers and enjoy!
Camping AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping AZ View Post
...but the truck is a little tough around town. Although I do get 21 mpg solo on the freeway and 12 towing. In town solo driving sucks that down to about 14 mpg. I'm lucky as my commute when needed is only 12 miles R/T, so I leaned toward the "grunt" side. Cheers and enjoy!
You're a bit more fortunate than me. Here in the hills of western PA, the best I've ever got was 12.5 in local driving on a 14 mile R/T. In winter, it's even worse, mainly due to the "winterized" diesel fuel. However, when towing, or on the highway solo, we're about the same. I've accounted for every drop of diesel fuel that's gone into this beast except for what the dealer put in at the time of delivery, so I keep pretty close watch on what the fuel mileage is.

Other than the fuel mileage and its inadequate 26 gallon fuel tank, this had been an excellent TV. I have yet to encounter a grade when towing that I could not pull at the speed limit or better. My total combination weight is around 14,000 pounds.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post

Other than the fuel mileage and its inadequate 26 gallon fuel tank, this had been an excellent TV. I have yet to encounter a grade when towing that I could not pull at the speed limit or better. My total combination weight is around 14,000 pounds.
Check out Titan tanks... they are a direct inbody replacement tank. Mine now holds 52 gallons of diesel... I can cruise all day...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:45 AM   #32

FPM, One of the first things I did when I bought the Duramax was get a TransferFlow 45 gallon replacement tank. I'd be surprised if they don't make something with more capacity for your Tundra. It hurts the wallet to fill it, but rarely do it more than once a month solo, and it's so great to go 330+mi R/T camping...and drive another 2 weeks before worrying! Drove the truck solo once from Phoenix to LA and back w/o fill up.
Camping AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:35 AM   #33
Site Team

I'll live with the 26 gallon tank

I looked into replacing the tank last year. While I can't remember what manufacturer I looked at, I do remember that to buy one was an $800+ adventure; plus my time (and aggrivation-experience shows that things rarely go as the instructions say they will) involved with replacing the current one with it.

When towing, the 26 gallon tank will get me at least 200 (and most often more) miles. That's roughly four (or more) hours of driving. By then, it's time to potty anyway so I take care of both needs in one stop. At currrent diesel prices (over $4.00/gal here), a refueling stop is in the neighborhood of $100.00 for me. If I had one of those large capacity tanks, it would probably make me cry. Here at home, a tank of fuel lasts me a minimum of two weeks unless I've had to make some unplanned trips.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote