Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #1

Trailer battery charging system

Is there a way to turn off the battery charging ststem while i am plugged into shore power? 2014 Eagle 33.5 rkts
EddieWouldGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Not sure as to why you would want to turn it off?

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post

Don
^^^^^ What he said
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #4

Quote:

Don
+1
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:29 PM   #5

I would recommend leaving the battery on line. It provides power when you use more than the converter can provide and will recharge when power usage is low. The newer converters will not overcharge your battery. Most of the electrical things in the trailer are 12 volt, the exceptions being the water heater, the microwave, and probably the television.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:53 PM   #6

While I fully concur with the above sentiments, to answer your question ... you could install a battery disconnect switch and/or pull the battery main fuse.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:07 AM   #7

Thanks for all the replies. The reason I wanted to disconnect the battery charger is because I was considering an inverter, and was thinking of plugging my main power cord into it, so that I have power, ( limited to what the inverter could provide ) at all wall sockets.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:43 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieWouldGo View Post
Thanks for all the replies. The reason I wanted to disconnect the battery charger is because I was considering an inverter, and was thinking of plugging my main power cord into it, so that I have power, ( limited to what the inverter could provide ) at all wall sockets.
In that case, you can rewire your TT's battery charge controller. If you are familiar with working with electricity, then you should be able to handle the task. If not, have a qualified electrician perform the task

1st Remove your Shore Power cable. 2nd check your 120VAC breakers to see if you have any spare locations. Mine had 2. I went to HomeDepot and picked up a double 15 amp breaker. (you may want to take an existing breaker to match the manufacture type, mine was a Square D) There is no reason to install a a 30 amp breaker, as all inverters (with out hard wire feature) have 15 amp outlets (2 to 4 of them). I was going to rewire my inverter, but the 15 amp breaker has never popped so it is still 15 amps.

You then need to take the power distribution centers cover off and with the JAYCO wiring diagram isolate the 120VAC wire that feeds the 12VDC charge controller. Remove it off of the 120VAC buss as it is tied into other 120VAC circuits on a breaker.

Connect the wire from the 120 VAC source wire for the charge controller to the new breaker. Double check your wiring and put the panel back on. Turn off the new breakers. Turn on all your interior lights, radio.. and have someone plug in the shore power cable. Next turn on the newly installed breaker and your lights should get brighter. You can also use a volt meter and check the battery voltage.

Like I said, If you are not knowledgeable about working with electricity, have a qualified electrician perform the above task.

You can then test the system by using a volt meter to see if the battery voltage changes when you flip the breaker on and off.

Here is a link to how I set up my TT to connect to the either the inverter or shore power. An auto transfer switch ($65) is available also.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...albums329.html

Make sure you use the proper wire to connect your inverter to the batteries, and mount the inverter as close to the batteries as possible.

Just my thoughts,

Don

If you do make this change, when you switch the charge control center off you need to remember to ALSO turn off your Air Conditioner breaker as your inverter will not like trying to run the AC.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:46 AM   #9

Got a question, could you tie the shore power cable and the inverter outlet together in a junction box then on to the converter?
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:04 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojls View Post
Got a question, could you tie the shore power cable and the inverter outlet together in a junction box then on to the converter?
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

The reason is, if for ANY reason at all you forgot that your inverter was on and accidentally plugged into shore power (or visa versa), your inverter and probably all your TT's delicate electronics would blow and most likely cause a fire.

That would be putting your family and near by campers at risk....

You have two safe options:

1 - an auto transfer switch (highly recommended, about $65)
2 - rewire so that your TT's 110VAC source as I did (see my solar album, click on the link below). Shows the TT's 110VAC supply cable being either plugged into the shore power outlet, or the inverter outlet.

Both methods can only supply 110VAC from a single source, that is a safety feature you do not want to work around.

Just my thoughts,
Don
Old 03-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #11

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

The reason is, if for ANY reason at all you forgot that your inverter was on and accidentally plugged into shore power (or visa versa), your inverter and probably all your TT's delicate electronics would blow and most likely cause a fire.

That would be putting your family and near by campers at risk....

You have two safe options:

1 - an auto transfer switch (highly recommended, about $65)
2 - rewire so that your TT's 110VAC source as I did (see my solar album, click on the link below). Shows the TT's 110VAC supply cable being either plugged into the shore power outlet, or the inverter outlet.

Both methods can only supply 110VAC from a single source, that is a safety feature you do not want to work around.

Just my thoughts,
Don
One more question. What if you put a relay inline on both sides, both not connected when no power to the junction box and would only connect if power on-line. Just checked, 120v AC relays aren't that expensive and I am ass-u-me-ing that that is all a transfer switch is, but 1/5th the cost. Maybe 4 relays. Inverter -> NO relay -> NC relay -> junction box and Shore Power -> NO relay -> NC relay -> junction box. Inverter closes first relay and opens the shore powers NC relay, and vice versa for shore power. NC = normally closed NO = normally open. ???? I think that would work swell...

Thanks Don...
Jeremy
Old 03-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojls View Post
One more question. What if you put a relay inline on both sides, both not connected when no power to the junction box and would only connect if power on-line. J
Do yourself a favor.. Order one of these.. it does a great job at what it was designed for and it is inexpensive.

PowerMax PMTS-30 30 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch

When you start turning on Air Conditioners and microwaves through something you put together you are only asking for trouble. The amperage running through them will eventually destroy the relays.

The above product was designed for this purpose and you and your family will be safer.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Old 03-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #13

Yep, after looking at it more, 30 amp relays are like $30 so that switch or just making a plug from inverter for shore power cord sounds like the way to do it. I googled 120 VAC relay and saw $7 to $12 relay and the light bulb went on in my head. I think if and when I install an inverter, it will be done like yours.

Thanks again Don,
Jeremy