Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #1

Red face Trailer hitch on FW

I have an 2011 321 RLTS Jayco Eagle, I want to install a trailer hitch so I can triple tow. I am thinking about getting a golfcart. Please give me some suggustions.
Thanks
2012 Dodge 3500
US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #2

I don't have first hand experience with this but I asked another member on here that had one. He told me to contact your local rv dealer. They usually have a fab shop they take them to when their customers request a hitch to be put on the back of their camper.

For me I did do this and they recommended a shop but I still have not actually got it done yet.
Firestone ride-rite air bags
dieselmann35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #3

Trailer hitch on FW

Had mine done at a shop that makes trailers. They cut off the factory one and welded on a new 4 inch steel one.
They added a 2 inch receiver and painted it to match the camper.
Very heavy duty. I pull my polaris ranger behind my tt i also use a hitch haul to carry all the firewood when not pulling the ranger.
Cost me 500.00 for them to make and install (welded) and paint.
I thought it was a fair price.
Hope this helps
Robert
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #4

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
We have a 31.5RLTS and had a custom fab and welding shop make a hitch receiver for mine that is welded to the frame and he reinforced the frame webbing as well. it is a strong setup. I use it to pull the boat or carry my Honda Trail 90 on a Harbor Freight motorcycle carrier. No problems so far. Etrailer.com sells a universal bolt up or weld on trailer hitch receiver linked here.

http://www.etrailer.com/Specialty-Tr...urt/13703.html

I would suggest reinforcing the back side of this setup with a plate on the back side of the frame where it bolts. I would also weld the plate and hitch, bolting it only would not be nearly as strong. If you want to tow a boat I would insure that it is extra strong. You not only have to worry about the hitch being strong enough, you also have to be concerned with the webbing of the frame (the vertical part of the I-beam) cracking and tearing apart.

Also when I did this I had 2" square tube welded between the spring hangers to strengthen that area especially in tight turns.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:12 AM   #5

Randy, I had a 2002 Wildcat that I put a hitch on. I modified a class III truck hitch to fit the frame of the 5th wheel. I bolted it onto the frame and added a piece of 2" square tubing just in front of the bumper between the frame that was also bolted on. I did this while it was still under warranty. I towed a 19' bass boat all over the south (Louisiana,Mississippi,Alabama,Arkansas and Texas) for 12 years and never had a problem. I will try to get a picture of the hitch and email it to you.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2014 Jayco Premier 361REQS
Super Springs
Yamerhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #6

Assuming your hitch it installed correctly and not overloaded, how do you handle the states where it isn't legal? I home base in Alabama and frequently travel to Georgia and Florida. Trailers behind FW's in these three states, and a lot of others, isn't legal. I see it done all the time, but I don't want a ticket.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Assuming your hitch it installed correctly and not overloaded, how do you handle the states where it isn't legal? I home base in Alabama and frequently travel to Georgia and Florida. Trailers behind FW's in these three states, and a lot of others, isn't legal. I see it done all the time, but I don't want a ticket.
I was never stopped while I was towing the boat. I was up at Toledo Bend lake in north Louisiana in 2011. Stayed in the RV park where a B.A.S.S. elite tournament was taking place. Talked to 5 elite pros that tow their boats behind their 5th wheels. They all said the only states that any of them had trouble was New York and Florida. And yes it is illegal in most states. Hope this helps

2012 F250 Super Duty
2014 Jayco Premier 361REQS
Super Springs
Yamerhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamerhammer View Post
I was never stopped while I was towing the boat. I was up at Toledo Bend lake in north Louisiana in 2011. Stayed in the RV park where a B.A.S.S. elite tournament was taking place. Talked to 5 elite pros that tow their boats behind their 5th wheels. They all said the only states that any of them had trouble was New York and Florida. And yes it is illegal in most states. Hope this helps
Actually double towing is allowed in 27 states, this link will give you resources for double towing nation wide and length laws and equipment requirements.

http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide...ple_towing.php

Hope this helps

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Old 08-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #9

Saw this one going N/B on SR99 in Stockton California a few months ago. Motorhome with a Quad mounted to the back of the MH pulling a Chevy Colorado that was towing a trailer with an airplane in the trailer. It was quite a site.

Click image for larger version

Name:	plane1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	9406Click image for larger version

Name:	plane2.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	9407Click image for larger version

Name:	plane3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	9408

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Old 08-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
Saw this one going N/B on SR99 in Stockton California a few months ago. Motorhome with a Quad mounted to the back of the MH pulling a Chevy Colorado that was towing a trailer with an airplane in the trailer. It was quite a site.

Attachment 9406Attachment 9407Attachment 9408

Steve
That is quite a site!
Firestone ride-rite air bags
dieselmann35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #11

Thanks for all the information. Now I have to decide who going to do it.
Randy
2012 Dodge 3500
US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
I dunno, maybe the pickup was pushing the MH and pulling the airplane.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote