Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #1

Transfer switch issue beware.

2011 pinnacle lots its-50 transfer switch shorted out almost burnt down my brothers rig. He doesn't have a generator but it was a factory option. We took it out and direct wired in new elec box. Sending switch back to dealer we will see what happens. A lot of recalls on this unit by dealers none by manufacturer. Beware you could lose your rig or your life. Easy access through cellar under staircase six screws and remove large panel.
rheyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #2

I have been thinking of doing the same thing, we have the generator prep too, thought about getting a generator but after a year and a half of Fulltiming, I do not think we are going to get a generator, for us it would be a waste of money.
So we might as well bypass the transfer switch and reduce the risk of failure.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #3

If it is an IOTA JAYCO had numerous recalls both 30 amp and 50 amp, as did other RV manufacturers. As a mattter of fact IOTA no longer makes transfer swtiches.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #4

If there is a recall not already posted in the JOF Recall Forum.... please post the pertinent info to help others here. Thanks
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
If there is a recall not already posted in the JOF Recall Forum.... please post the pertinent info to help others here. Thanks
It is in the "Recall Forum" already.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #6

Grumpy... heading off line right now... any chance you can post the link to that thread to help direct others reading this issue? Thanks
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #7

As requested

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ectrical-issue

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...cal-Connection
Old 07-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #8

I do have a generator, but one afternoon when I was watching TV I smelled wiring burning. The generator was not on at the time. My Designer was about 10 months old at the time. The IOTA transfer switch started overheating. After shutting down shore power I wired around the switch and my dealer replaced it with a different brand a few days later. This was just before the recall. Jayco never hesitated with this warranty issue.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I do have a generator, but one afternoon when I was watching TV I smelled wiring burning. The generator was not on at the time. My Designer was about 10 months old at the time. The IOTA transfer switch started overheating. After shutting down shore power I wired around the switch and my dealer replaced it with a different brand a few days later. This was just before the recall. Jayco never hesitated with this warranty issue.
I remember looking and we do not have the IOTA Transfer Switch, we have the Progressive Dynamic's Transfer Switch.
About a year ago when all the Transfer Switch issues started, I checked to see what brand it was and checked all wiring connections to make sure all were tight.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #10

This can happen to any RV, trailer of 5'er. The wires will rattle around and get loose. Grounds will arc and could cause a fire. Everyone should check their wiring connections at the transfer switch after very trip to ensure they're all tight.

My father has a 34' Class A. Same thing happened to him. Almost caught on fire, smelled like plastic burning. Luckily he caught it. Box was replaced within warranty, although, he checks his connections after every trip now.
peejaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #11

Dealer has old burnt up transfer switch still waiting for replacement. The replacement will have to be installed by new owner we are leaving it out.
rheyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #12

we have a 2011 Pinnacle problem with the transfer switch while in OBX. Smelled "hot plastic" determined it was the Transfer Switch (Very hot) reduced power. returned 5W to dealer-Jayco paid for replacement. Unit was 1 month out of warranty
Vern-atts is offline   Reply With Quote