Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #1

Trapped in 5th wheel

The unthinkable has happened. We have a Bauer keyless entry in our new 2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5 RETS. We are in Perry, Ga at the Fall Good Sam Samboree. Went to leave our trailer this morning and we could not get out. The dead bolt was jammed in the locked position and would not budge. Finally got someone's attention to come to our door. I gave them the code to activate our door lock and it would not work. After trying several times, I opened a window and screen next to the door and gave them my key. Even the key would not unlock the dead bolt. After several frustrating minutes, I got them to bring me a Phillips head screwdriver. All my tools were in my truck, which I could not get to. I finally disassembled the door lock and took it apart to get out of our unit. Jayco and Bauer both will hear about this. Cannot lock our unit up now from the inside as afraid we will get locked inside again. Going to replace this thing as soon as possible with an old fashioned key lock! I know there has been a recall but this was not supposed to be one of the units.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Yikes! That had to be frustrating.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Man, that sucks, Joe! Sometimes these high tech alternatives to proven devices aren't what they are supposed to be. I hope you get a satisfactory solution.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #4

Thats scary, good thing there was not an emergency situation to where you had to evacuate the trailer. I would contact your dealer asap.
Rotocleaner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

I took the batteries out of mine on delivery and just use the key. So far so good.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #6

Our Bauer keyless entry was hardwired. I disabled it as well even though it was not part of the recall. Key works fine for us.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #7

What a shame, Joe! Sorry to hear about your ordeal. There's absolutely no way and under no circumstances that you or any other new RV owner should have to deal with this. For one, it's a serious safety hazard that could result in one's RV turning into a death trap if the locks malfunction in the event of a fire or natural disaster. This speaks directly to Jayco's quality control and perhaps it's something that needs to be reviewed and improved.

2013 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
RDUBYA448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #8

I just ran across a similar problem on my 2014 375BHFS only instead of being locked in, my deadbolt would not engage into the plate. This happened right after I re-leveled at our seasonal site, so I'm guessing the frame must have flexed just a little. After taking a closer look, a small flat file and about 5 minutes worth of filing, everything worked great. Take a look and see if your deadbolt isn't just a little too tight where it engages the plate.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #9

Yeah, Bauer keyless entry is meant to be the state of the art high level locking system but it failed. I can feel your frustration and/or inconvenience.

Nonetheless, after reading your entire post, I failed to understand one critical point in regard to being trapped in your 5th Wheel.

This is the reason why there are MULTIPLE EMERGENCY EXITS in all the rooms. I don't see why you had to be trapped in there for such a long time that you had to open the window and flag a nearby camper out. I don't understand why you couldn't reach your toolbox located in your truck.

There are MULTIPLE MERGENCY EXITS located in your trailer for a reason. All you had to do is remove the screen, pop out the window then get out.

Every single time we receive a new Trailer, before that very first camping trip, we have developed a standard procedure that involves Emergency evacuation drill routine. I have had my wife and my two sons physically get out of the trailer through ALL available emergency exits. They need to know where they are located, how to gain access to them and understand an estimated drop height.

Again, the emergency exits in our trailers are not decorations. Please have yourself and your love ones familiarize with them. You never know when that time comes and you really need to get the hell out of that trailer right away.

TOYOTA TUNDRA 5.7L V8- CrewMax W/tow Package
|TRD Offroad- Bilstein Shocks, PullRite SuperGlide Hitch, Timbrens SES, Tekonsha P3 Controller, BFG A/T Load Range E Tires, RollBak Tonneau Cover|
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:43 AM   #10

Being aware of the emergency exits is critical for RV'ers - our portable homes burn in a flash. Evacuation drills are an excellent idea.

The emergency exit in my Jayco fifth wheel is in the bedroom, a window eight feet or so in the air. Exiting such a window is a gymnastic event and one that I hope all occupants of my trailer will excel in if really needed. However, I can certainly understand why namusmc65 wanted to avoid such unnecessary gymnastics. I too would have tried other approaches to getting out.

It's a shame that Jayco chose a keyless entry system that has had many reported problems.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Being aware of the emergency exits is critical for RV'ers - our portable homes burn in a flash. Evacuation drills are an excellent idea.

The emergency exit in my Jayco fifth wheel is in the bedroom, a window eight feet or so in the air. Exiting such a window is a gymnastic event and one that I hope all occupants of my trailer will excel in if really needed. However, I can certainly understand why namusmc65 wanted to avoid such unnecessary gymnastics. I too would have tried other approaches to getting out.

It's a shame that Jayco chose a keyless entry system that has had many reported problems.
+1 Bad situation, and I too am sorry you had to go through that.

Not everyone is spry enough to risk a broken leg (or worse) trying to use their emergency exit in a non-emergency event. Of course, if it were a true emergency, a minor injury from jumping out your window is preferable to to the alternative of remaining in your burning trailer awaiting certain death.

With that being said, it is very important to run the drills and know what you're going to do and how you'll get out. That is vital to proper preparedness IMO.

One pointer I would mention is to keep a basic tool box inside the TT. I have a small tool box in the cabinet by my door that has basic tools like screw drivers, a small socket set, electrical tools, tape, glue... This is in addition to my main toolbox. But even that rides in the front storage that can be accessed from under the bed.

At any rate, I hope you get it fixed right!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #12

Our "manual" deadbolt jammed on me last season and some WD40 instantly solved the problem. Now I lubricate the lock when I do the steps, jacks and other regular spots. It is worth noting that the lock showed no outward signs of needing to be lubed and the trailer was only a couple years old.

I believe these locks have been recalled but I had no success contacting that company for my parts. Will likely just do my own replacement at some point.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #13

I ordered mine with the manual lock, IMHO, an electric deadbolt has to have a manual unlock function that ALWAYS works, otherwise it's a failure by design. This type design could not pass a Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA).
One simple question = failure of the design
sample fema question - What if the electric function fails?

I am a design engineer and I work with data and FEMA's

I do not believe the RV industry has ever seen a FEMA. If they have they would not allow a product to be installed on a trailer that can't pass the first question on the FEMA.

There has to be a way out from inside and it has to me manual and intutive meaning that anyone with any degree of common sense can get out in the event the lock refuses to move under electric power.

SO, RV industry........don't fix the lock, get rid of the lock and fix the design.

End of Rant

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
I ordered mine with the manual lock, IMHO, an electric deadbolt has to have a manual unlock function that ALWAYS works, otherwise it's a failure by design. This type design could not pass a Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA).
One simple question = failure of the design
sample fema question - What if the electric function fails?

I am a design engineer and I work with data and FEMA's

I do not believe the RV industry has ever seen a FEMA. If they have they would not allow a product to be installed on a trailer that can't pass the first question on the FEMA.

There has to be a way out from inside and it has to me manual and intutive meaning that anyone with any degree of common sense can get out in the event the lock refuses to move under electric power.

SO, RV industry........don't fix the lock, get rid of the lock and fix the design.

End of Rant
That's so interesting! I do that kind of analysis ALL THE TIME. I had no idea there was actually a formal name or process for it!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #15

I must confess I'm a little puzzled by this. I have the 2015 version of this RV and I have the Bauer keypad type lock (with batteries) on mine. The inside knob which locks and unlocks the door does so by moving the deadbolt. So am I to understand that this knob could not be turned to unlock the door? What prevented the use of the knob to unlock the door? Were the front and back panels mis-aligned during assembly so that the knob failed to properly engage the deadbolt?
Old 09-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
That's so interesting! I do that kind of analysis ALL THE TIME. I had no idea there was actually a formal name or process for it!
It's a risk analysis system, it's engineering 101 in the auto industry. It assigns risk using a standard number system (3 numbers per item on the FEMA) applied a simple equation.( first two added X the third, this can vary) The max level for design failure is set before the process begins and anything above that number has to be redesigned before production begins. The questions (items) are brainstormed by a team so there is no hiding the potential faults.

It's been part of my life for 40 years and I can't even buy a gallon of milk without asking myself three questions about the purchase.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFanRay View Post
I must confess I'm a little puzzled by this. I have the 2015 version of this RV and I have the Bauer keypad type lock (with batteries) on mine. The inside knob which locks and unlocks the door does so by moving the deadbolt. So am I to understand that this knob could not be turned to unlock the door? What prevented the use of the knob to unlock the door? Were the front and back panels mis-aligned during assembly so that the knob failed to properly engage the deadbolt?
The way you get out from inside is to unlock the deadbolt with the knob. This would not work. I even used a pair of pliers and thought I was about to break it off. The key would not even work it from outside. We tried lifting the door to see if it was jammed and a variety of other tricks. The only way we could get out was to take it apart. And yes, I know where all the emergency exits are and if this had been a true exit, we would have used them. I don't think the door would even stand up to my size 10 foot as I'm pretty sure I could knock it right out if necessary. We could actually feel the dead bolt binding in a certain spot once we got the mechanism apart. I think when we get home, a file and some oil on the inside perhaps might fix the problem. I am mainly pointing this out to hopefully help someone else avoid the same problem. It has taken several attempts some time to get the keyless entry to work. It clicks but nothing happens. This is a sign something is not right I do believe. Anyway, I will be reporting it to Jayco and Bauer for follow up. When I get home and get some spare time, I am taking it completely apart for analysis.

Joe Hinson
Old 09-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #18

One of the reasons I found this interesting is that when brand new, I had some issues with the keypad locking/unlocking the RV. I called Bauer while on our first trip. I spoke with customer service at Bauer and they had me run a few tests, one of which was operating the electronic locking with the door open. No issues were found. While the door was open I exercised the lock using the key. No issues until suddenly the key seemed to turn too far and somewhat stuck. I was able to free it using the inside knob. This did concern me greatly and I called Bauer and related this information. They immediately (and I do mean immediately) shipped me a new assembly. I have had no issues since then. What happened to you seems related to my experience.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #19

Update Bauer Keyless Entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFanRay View Post
One of the reasons I found this interesting is that when brand new, I had some issues with the keypad locking/unlocking the RV. I called Bauer while on our first trip. I spoke with customer service at Bauer and they had me run a few tests, one of which was operating the electronic locking with the door open. No issues were found. While the door was open I exercised the lock using the key. No issues until suddenly the key seemed to turn too far and somewhat stuck. I was able to free it using the inside knob. This did concern me greatly and I called Bauer and related this information. They immediately (and I do mean immediately) shipped me a new assembly. I have had no issues since then. What happened to you seems related to my experience.
The third generation owner of Bauer locks called personally today to express his apologies for this happening. He is also immediately sending me a new lock that has been thoroughly tested via 2 day shipping. I am sending him the old lock back so they can take a look at it to see what could have possibly gone wrong. Great customer service as far as I am concerned. Asked me to call him personally should I have any further problems.

Joe Hinson
Old 09-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #20

Our2014 Greyhawk had a defective motor fir keyless Bauer. Replacement on way...I am satisfied with the curb appeal of the keyless pad ! but will carry keys and probably not replace the new part when it arrives
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote