Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
Trapped in 5th wheel

The unthinkable has happened. We have a Bauer keyless entry in our new 2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5 RETS. We are in Perry, Ga at the Fall Good Sam Samboree. Went to leave our trailer this morning and we could not get out. The dead bolt was jammed in the locked position and would not budge. Finally got someone's attention to come to our door. I gave them the code to activate our door lock and it would not work. After trying several times, I opened a window and screen next to the door and gave them my key. Even the key would not unlock the dead bolt. After several frustrating minutes, I got them to bring me a Phillips head screwdriver. All my tools were in my truck, which I could not get to. I finally disassembled the door lock and took it apart to get out of our unit. Jayco and Bauer both will hear about this. Cannot lock our unit up now from the inside as afraid we will get locked inside again. Going to replace this thing as soon as possible with an old fashioned key lock! I know there has been a recall but this was not supposed to be one of the units.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Site Team
Yikes! That had to be frustrating.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods
Man, that sucks, Joe! Sometimes these high tech alternatives to proven devices aren't what they are supposed to be. I hope you get a satisfactory solution.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
Thats scary, good thing there was not an emergency situation to where you had to evacuate the trailer. I would contact your dealer asap.
2008 Ford F450
2015 Seismic 3912
Rotocleaner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods
I took the batteries out of mine on delivery and just use the key. So far so good.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
Our Bauer keyless entry was hardwired. I disabled it as well even though it was not part of the recall. Key works fine for us.
2012 Eagle 320 RLDS
2012 Ford F-250 Crew Cab FX4, 6.7l PSD
3.55 E-locker, Timbrens
TCNASHVILLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
What a shame, Joe! Sorry to hear about your ordeal. There's absolutely no way and under no circumstances that you or any other new RV owner should have to deal with this. For one, it's a serious safety hazard that could result in one's RV turning into a death trap if the locks malfunction in the event of a fire or natural disaster. This speaks directly to Jayco's quality control and perhaps it's something that needs to be reviewed and improved.

"When the going gets tough, grab some cold beer, a good fishing pole and RUN LIKE HELL!!!"
2008 Ford Expedition EB, 5.4, heavy duty tow pkg
2013 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
RDUBYA448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #8
I just ran across a similar problem on my 2014 375BHFS only instead of being locked in, my deadbolt would not engage into the plate. This happened right after I re-leveled at our seasonal site, so I'm guessing the frame must have flexed just a little. After taking a closer look, a small flat file and about 5 minutes worth of filing, everything worked great. Take a look and see if your deadbolt isn't just a little too tight where it engages the plate.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #9
Yeah, Bauer keyless entry is meant to be the state of the art high level locking system but it failed. I can feel your frustration and/or inconvenience.

Nonetheless, after reading your entire post, I failed to understand one critical point in regard to being trapped in your 5th Wheel.

This is the reason why there are MULTIPLE EMERGENCY EXITS in all the rooms. I don't see why you had to be trapped in there for such a long time that you had to open the window and flag a nearby camper out. I don't understand why you couldn't reach your toolbox located in your truck.

There are MULTIPLE MERGENCY EXITS located in your trailer for a reason. All you had to do is remove the screen, pop out the window then get out.

Every single time we receive a new Trailer, before that very first camping trip, we have developed a standard procedure that involves Emergency evacuation drill routine. I have had my wife and my two sons physically get out of the trailer through ALL available emergency exits. They need to know where they are located, how to gain access to them and understand an estimated drop height.

Again, the emergency exits in our trailers are not decorations. Please have yourself and your love ones familiarize with them. You never know when that time comes and you really need to get the hell out of that trailer right away.
|Frameless Thermal Pane Windows, MorRyde Pin Box, Factory Rear Hitch, Bedroom 2nd AC|

TOYOTA TUNDRA 5.7L V8- CrewMax W/tow Package
|TRD Offroad- Bilstein Shocks, PullRite SuperGlide Hitch, Timbrens SES, Tekonsha P3 Controller, BFG A/T Load Range E Tires, RollBak Tonneau Cover|
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:43 AM   #10
Being aware of the emergency exits is critical for RV'ers - our portable homes burn in a flash. Evacuation drills are an excellent idea.

The emergency exit in my Jayco fifth wheel is in the bedroom, a window eight feet or so in the air. Exiting such a window is a gymnastic event and one that I hope all occupants of my trailer will excel in if really needed. However, I can certainly understand why namusmc65 wanted to avoid such unnecessary gymnastics. I too would have tried other approaches to getting out.

It's a shame that Jayco chose a keyless entry system that has had many reported problems.

There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote