It's the gearbox that is broken on my front jack. The gearbox housing is made of plastic, and it is the plastic housing that is broken. Atwood used to make that housing of metal (I assume aluminum) and changed it to plastic sometime back.
I got a little disappointed in both my dealer and Jayco today. I took the camper and left it with the dealer first thing yesterday morning. The lady that usually handles the warranty issues was not there. The other folks acted like they weren't all that concerned about my problem. Nothing got done on my camper yesterday.
I drove by there today, and the usual warranty person was there. The gearbox had already been removed, and she had started the warranty process with Jayco. Jayco required her to email a picture of the broken housing before they would begin the warranty process. Her initial email to Jayco was sent at 8:27 this morning. Jayco told her it would probably take two weeks to get the gearbox into the dealer's hands.
I called Jayco around lunchtime. I talked to two different people from the warranty department, and got little help from them. They did tell me that they hadn't received an email from the dealer. I called the dealer on another phone and had them resend the email while I was still on the phone with Jayco. The Jayco rep said they still never received an email.
I was getting frustrated because I have a trip planned for next week. I even considered buying the gearbox myself (about $60-$65) from a third party so I can get my camper fixed in a timely manner. I finally called Jayco's parts department to make sure who made the jack and what the part number of the gearbox would be. The parts person informed me that the Atwood jack was installed on the frame by Lippert. The Jayco process is to file a warranty claim with Lippert. Lippert would then ship the gearbox to Jayco, and Jayco would ship the gearbox to the dealer. That's why the process takes so long. I called Lippert. They didn't have any of the gearboxes in stock. More frustration.
Somewhere along the way, I asked the dealer about removing a gearbox from one of their new units so they could get me going again. The answer to that was a flat no.
I finally called Atwood. I asked the guy from Atwood if there was any way he could help me out. He told me to have the dealer contact him directly, and he would warranty the gearbox. The dealer did this, and the gearbox is on it's way. It should be here Monday or Tuesday.
I got the dealer to reinstall the old gearbox. The service guy wedged a 2x4 between the gearbox and the frame so it will at least operate until the new gearbox can be installed. This will give us a chance to clean up the camper this weekend and get it ready for next week's trip. I have an appointment to return to the dealer first thing next Wednesday to have the gearbox installed. Our trip is supposed to begin next Thursday.
I am out an extra round trip with the camper to and from the dealer. This is about 40 bucks worth of fuel.
All in all, I guess it will work about as well as could be expected, but it wouldn't have happened without my legwork.
My experience with my broken keyless entry system a few months back was similar. I got a lot more action from Challenger Door than I did from Jayco.