Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #61

I have seen the 2 motor system but I have also seen it fail first hand and almost flip a buddies camper over right in front of our eyes... the first leg went down fine, the second leg malfunctioned and kept going out, i believe it was a switch issue because when released it continued to push the camper up with the one leg, got so ihgih it was tietering, all that weight on 1 leg, we were waiting for the leg to snap and the camper to do a barrel roll down the hill, very scary. I believe that may be why they go with a single system so that if there is a malfunction ever it lifts up or down equally.
Jayrundle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #62

I got the motor changed yesterday morning. It made little difference. When unhitching and leveling the camper after returning home, the motor still trips the breaker every few seconds.

I held the old motor in my hands after it was removed. It is not heavy at all. That explains a lot. There can't be much copper in that motor.

I'll call the dealer next week and tell them the jack is still inadequate. They can contact Jayco and see what Jayco's next move is. I'm really not interested in any more repairs to this existing jack. It's obviously (at least to me) not enough jack for this application.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #63

Have you weighed the trailer? Is there a gear box? Maybe the wrong one? What in the equation has not been replace?
I think the legs and motor has. Try connecting the jack right to the battery. Bypass all the wiring and breakers. I would be shocked that your the only one having an issue if this jack is correct unit for the 5th wheel. And your not super over weight. There has to be something major. I just really don't want to see you spend money on a new jack and be in the same situation. + you really need to know the weight for new jack
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:43 PM   #64

I have not weighed the trailer. I know what Jayco says it weighed when it left the factory, but I called Jayco, and they told me that have no idea what the original weight was on the front legs.

So far, the legs, motor, gear box, and breaker have all been changed.

I suppose I am going to have to find the weight on the legs, but I am already convinced the jack is inadequate for the trailer, regardless of the specs.

I really didn't buy this thing to work on it. On something with a price tag this high (I paid nearly 50 grand for it), I don't think it's unreasonable to expect everything to work.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:49 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
So far, the legs, motor, gear box, and breaker have all been changed.
Didn't the dealer run the landing legs up and down numerous times to test everything? It seems to me that trying to find the weight on the front legs doesn't mean much cuz if it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. I have not read a lot of complaints (none actually) about this so I would think there is something else wrong other than the motor size on the landing gear.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Didn't the dealer run the landing legs up and down numerous times to test everything? It seems to me that trying to find the weight on the front legs doesn't mean much cuz if it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. I have not read a lot of complaints (none actually) about this so I would think there is something else wrong other than the motor size on the landing gear.

I really have no idea. That's for the dealer and Jayco to figure out.

So far, I've had it back to the dealer four times with the landing gear issue. At $50 per trip to the dealer for gas in my tow vehicle, I'm already out $200 on this problem. That's nearly half the price of a new Ultrafab dual motor jack system.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #67

So today my landing gear finally failed in a severe way. My Bevel gear shaft sheared and now one of my legs is inoperable. In diagnosing the issue I found the bevel gear sliding around freely which eventually wound up in my hand.

The shaft has been wiggiling around in the hole for a while it seems. As a result it made an oblong hole which wore my shaft down from 3/8" to an 1/8" and finally gave out by shearing due to the small diameter. Needless to say I am a little frustrated as this is the 4th issue with this landing gear. There is clearly a design flaw here and the shaft bushing failed. Now I need the leg replaced and who knows how long that is going to take.

If you can pop your round cover off the top of the legs I would check to see if you have any metal shavings in the area of the bevel gear. Also if you can move it around at all I would discuss with your dealer as the bushing has failed.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by taviking22 View Post
I've had two issues with my Pinnacle's landing gear. Coming back from Alaska last fall the curbside front leg stopped working. The lock pin on the pinion gear had come out!

This spring, the bolt on the connecting bar between the legs sheared off. Fortunately, I have been able to do my own repairs saving me from hauling it to the dealers and waiting on their schedule to get it fixed.

Is it me, or are there more quality issues on some of Jayco's subsystems? My previous 2 Jaycos were bullet proof...or so they seemed!
Now I am concerned… we have the same unit, 2012 31 RLTS… with no problems so far, with the landing gear. I will now be watching, however… heading out for a trip this weekend… hopefully it will hold together.

So far, we have had no issues with this unit… been very satisfied, to date.
CookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:10 PM   #69

Can I replace gear box and\or motor while unit is on landing legs?

Or should I support on my hitch?
Old 07-31-2016, 04:38 PM   #70

i absolutely wouldn't do anything with the weight on the legs
Old 07-31-2016, 05:43 PM   #71

At first I was going to say shouldn't be an issue but in reality blocking it up, or having the truck under it is way smarter. If everything is external to the actual jack it shouldn't matter but it's hard to qb it from my lazy boy. One advantage to having it blocked up is you can test it and make sure there is no binding going on running the jack up and down.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:22 PM   #72

I replaced the Atwood gearbox with a metal one - Stromberg Carlson LG-179015 Fifth Wheel Landing Gear Box, Aluminum. The only issue with replacing is trying to lay sideways in the front compartment. The landing gear top gears looked great and properly lubed.

The unit seems to go up and down smoother now.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:46 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
Does Jayco offer a two motor system, or has anybody retrofitted their fifth wheel to a two motor system?
Etrailer has the parts to convert the front landing gear to a two motor system.
I went with the Equalizer 6 pt hydraulic system added on my 321rlts, why didnt I do this years ago I don't know.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:30 AM   #74
Site Team

I would not be doing any work on a jack that was in use. Back the truck under it for safety.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #75

Camped this weekend and tried out the new gear box. It moves a little slower because I assume it's the heavy duty model. But it was steady and sure and I think a little quieter.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:40 PM   #76

has anyone had a problem with the switch sticking in the retract position or the switch returning by itself to the retract position? my 2011 36reqs has done it twice now. second time it sheared the nub on the gearbox retract side and also the cross shaft screw on the opposite leg. got it working again with an interim repair on the gear box and a quick connect on the power wire to the motor just incase the switch acts up again. thinking about the Lippert 276602 or Stromberg Carlson LG-179015 gear box, both are aluminum, any preference? looks like their all made by the same manufacture.
ualbusdriver is offline   Reply With Quote