Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #1

Talking Truck questions ? <-- I got em

So the wife & I are looking to get a Eagle HT 29.5FBDS (front bunk for our 6yr old daughter) BTW we plan on full-timing for a year or 2.

GVWR is 9,950lbs & a dry hitch weight of 1,545lbs.

I don't know squat about trucks - but I'm trying to learn.
Am I safe in assuming that any 3/4 ton will work for this?

OR

Is a 1/2 ton out of the question? I see that some 1/2 tons have the technical towing capacity - but is it over-working the truck?

Is a diesel the way to go? I have heard bad things about 6.0 diesels.
Heard great things about 6.7 diesels. I have NOT heard bad or good reviews on 6.4 gas engines.

Any opinion or information is appreciated - thanks for your help in my learning process - if you have a decent websites that you know of that may help pass em along! I'm always up for learning more.

BTW I tried searching for answers to my questions - either I don't have good search mojo or it's not on these forums.
jrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:22 AM   #2

Welcome to the JOF and happy trailer shopping.

I'm sure there will be many along to help you. This kind of question is common and there are many posts on it, BUT (unfortuantely) finding it and slogging through all the information is not easy
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:00 AM   #3

Choosing the right TV can be more daunting then finding that new RV.

I was up against this question back in 2007 when I had a half ton. I chose to upgrade to a 2004 2500HD 6.0 gas. It served me well however any incline it struggled without down shifting and kicking 4500 RPM when trying to maintain 60 mph. This past summer in anticipation of upgrading our RV to a 5er I upgraded my TV to a 2015 2500HD Duramax. Let's just say it was the difference between night and day. Even pulling the 30' Octane toy hauler through the Colorado mountains. I had then wished I had done it sooner. The newer Duramax trucks using DEF have far less issues then the older ones and get better mileage.

I would look for a 3/4 ton.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #4

Personally,my opinion is look at things financially then make some deciesons on how you wanna go.I see a lot of time people buy a trailer to big for their truck and regret doing so but cannot swing the money for a bigger stronger truck.A new diesel is upwards of 50 to 60k,then a new trailer that's a lot of cash.For the trailer you are looking at I would go with a 3/4 ton at the least or a 1 ton,the pricing between the 2 isn't different sometimes.You have to factor in all the other things while towing, fuel,people,clothes supplies firewood and the basic pots and pans etc.I have a Chevy 2500 with the Duramax diesel and its pulls my trailer which is up there in weight like a dream.Some of the gas engines out there now are pretty good to so you would have to see what suits you better.And yes the older 6.0 diesels in fords had some problems but it was corrected in the later models,they also sell kits that fix the problem all together and makes them a very reliable motor

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrouch View Post
So the wife & I are looking to get a Eagle HT 29.5FBDS (front bunk for our 6yr old daughter) BTW we plan on full-timing for a year or 2.

GVWR is 9,950lbs & a dry hitch weight of 1,545lbs.

I don't know squat about trucks - but I'm trying to learn.
Am I safe in assuming that any 3/4 ton will work for this?

OR

Is a 1/2 ton out of the question? I see that some 1/2 tons have the technical towing capacity - but is it over-working the truck?

Is a diesel the way to go? I have heard bad things about 6.0 diesels.
Heard great things about 6.7 diesels. I have NOT heard bad or good reviews on 6.4 gas engines.

Any opinion or information is appreciated - thanks for your help in my learning process - if you have a decent websites that you know of that may help pass em along! I'm always up for learning more.

BTW I tried searching for answers to my questions - either I don't have good search mojo or it's not on these forums.
Welcome. I would say that yes all 1500's are out of the running due to payload. Payload capacities are your single largest concern. These will vary based on many factors in the truck build sheet. Engine, cab style and 4x2 vs 4x4.

5th wheels do not have a weight distribution hitch like TT's and will put several thousand pounds in the TV bed. Now consider the passengers, gear hitch, fuel and your loaded 5'th. The published pin weight is not accurate IMHO and will be heavier than published based on history and what many of us visiting the scales report as real weights.

Diesel vs gas. I am partial to Diesel, but you are on the fence with that size unit and could have a good experience with that trailer. 3/4 ton minimum and most of us would argue that for the small increase in cost 1 ton. Some 3/4 ton series trucks have gone to coil springs for comfort and many of the payloads are in the 2-3k range as a result. 1 tons get you somewhere between 3-4k depending on SRW vs DRW and build sheet.

Ask yourself this. Are you going to want to upgrade to a larger 5th? Many of us do as family or needs change. If you can honestly say that you will not be moving up then a 3/4 might suit you. If there is any chance in the foreseeable future then go bigger than you need so your not having to do both all over again.

Is the truck a daily driver? If so then 3/4 or SRW might be the truck for you.

As for 6.0 vs 6.7. I had a 6.0 for 5 years and it was mostly worry free, but only as a result of my maintenance and preventative add on. They are usually found to be the cheaper used Diesels in the market as a result of their history. You could find a great truck or you could get a problem just waiting to show itself. The main issue is with the Oil coolers, coolant and EGR's. Once one of these things fail it can lead to other major issues. If your not a handy guy or want hands on with maintenance then bypass this engine.

6.7 Cummins is a great engine!

Then there is DEF vs Non DEF. Check the forums for the specific truck you want or are looking at for more details. There is a few days of reading for you if you want. I went DEF just for simplicity. Non DEF require re gen and highway runs to clean itself out. DEF do to, but not as much.

Keys for you are:
Payload
Daily or not?
Moving up or not?
How much towing are you going to do?

Good luck!

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #6

I have a 5er with the same gvwr as you. There's no way I'd put it on a 1/2 ton truck. I pull it with a 2010 2500 RAM CTD. Due to the weight of the CTD, I'm over in payload by 2-300 lbs with my family and loaded. With a gas engine it would be within payload as the CTD is almost 1k heavier. If I was buying a truck right now it'd be a 3500 diesel just due to the payload.

I had a F150 that I pulled a 21 foot travel trailer that weighed about 6k. Flat it pulled fine. Get it into any grades and it'd be going 30 mph by the top. Granted the 5.4 in the F150 isn't the most powerful gas engine.

Pulling the same grade with my current setup and a trailer that's 4k heavier and 65mph at top of the grade is no problem.

My brother has a 2015 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 gasser and 4.10 rear and pulls a trailer that loaded is just over 10k and it pulls pretty well, but the mpg is really low (like 6mpg if there's any hills) when pulling. He mainly got the gasser as it's his daily driver with mainly in town driving.
jackofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #7

Definitely need a 3/4 or 1 ton.

3/4 ton gasser would be fine, but as mentioned above if you want a diesel the 3/4 ton won't have enough payload.

1 ton gas or diesel. Either will have enough payload.

For full timing I would get a diesel if you plan to do a lot of moving around/driving. Otherwise any of the gas engines will pull that load fine they will just be a bit thirstier. I have never towed with a diesel but I would probably upgrade to that if I was planning on full timing.

Although if your local trips are short a newer diesel won't like that very much as they need to get up to temperature for a period of time to clean themselves out.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #8

Your question is difficult to answer. If you plan to travel on flat terrain and full time and stay in one location for months at a time, you could probably get by with a 1/2 ton. However, if you plan on traveling in mountainous terrain, a 3/4 ton will serve you better and not wear out the power plant as quickly. Now, what if your 1 to 2 years of full timing turns into 10 or 12 years? In that case a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel would be best cuz you will probably go to a bigger rv at some point. How's that for confusion?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #9

You don't mention how "mobile" you might be or where you plan to visit. If you are moving once or twice a year you might consider a professional relocation service. One of my former co-workers has a portable home/office and sold his TV due some problems he was having with it. Since he moves infrequently he elected not to replace the TV but uses a service to move the TT.
Also, if you are moving infrequently and over relatively level highways you could probably do with a gasser. I agree with the previous comments that recommend a 3/4Ton TV.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #10

I have to agree with those who suggested a 3/4 ton truck (as well as 1 ton!) Since my wife and I bought our Ram 2500 diesel, we couldn't be happier. The Cummins diesel is a beast and you'd find out very quickly that having more-than-enough torque to pull 9,800 lbs plus, is a great thing! For us, having the ability to maintain 65 mph up a hill and the engine not even sweat past 2.000 RPM is a wonderful experience. Plus, we're getting about 12mpg average with our truck! Now, if you're thinking of upgrading your FW in the future, it would not hurt having a 1-ton diesel on stand by.

All in all, a 3/4 ton diesel will serve you well. Regarding the DEF decision, all diesel trucks newer than 2013 will require DEF. The good thing is, that this fluid is rarely used when you're not towing. We can go on for over a month and not see the gauge go down from FULL!

Good luck in your decision and welcome to JOF!
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #11

Wow, thanks for all the advice!
For some more information on our plans...(keep in mind it's still a plan & can be adjusted as needed)

5th wheel - with front bunks maybe 1-2 years old

Truck - leaning towards 3/4 ton 6.7 diesel Ford probably unless I find an overwhelming response to get a Chevy or Dodge.

Camping - we're looking at the Thousand Trails membership thing where we stay in the parks for maximum 3 weeks at a time and then move on to our next Thousand Trails park. (So we'll basically be moving every 3 weeks)

During the trip of 12-24 months we want to visit as many National Parks as possible and check out the US. The wife & I have been all over the world but never looked around the US that much! So since we homeschool our 6 year old daughter. We think it's a good time to check out our options.

Thanks again to everyone.
jrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Truck - leaning towards 3/4 ton 6.7 diesel Ford probably unless I find an overwhelming response to get a Chevy or Dodge.

Nope, none of that goes on here.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:27 PM   #13

Quote:
GVWR is 9,950lbs & a dry hitch weight of 1,545lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Your question is difficult to answer. If you plan to travel on flat terrain and full time and stay in one location for months at a time, you could probably get by with a 1/2 ton. However, if you plan on traveling in mountainous terrain, a 3/4 ton will serve you better and not wear out the power plant as quickly. Now, what if your 1 to 2 years of full timing turns into 10 or 12 years? In that case a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel would be best cuz you will probably go to a bigger rv at some point. How's that for confusion?
With a DRY pin weight of 1545lbs, plus the 5ver hitch, plus the additional pin weight once the 5ver is loaded, the ONLY 150/1500 that may possibly be just adequate is the F150 with the max tow AND HD PAYLOAD package. Even the GM Twins with the Max Tow have maybe 1900lbs payload. He would be just about maxed, if not over even before all of the family is in the cab and any additional items are in the bed.

This 5ver is minimum 2500 territory depending on what the available payload is for that particular truck.

Quote:
Wow, thanks for all the advice!
For some more information on our plans...(keep in mind it's still a plan & can be adjusted as needed)

5th wheel - with front bunks maybe 1-2 years old

Camping - we're looking at the Thousand Trails membership thing where we stay in the parks for maximum 3 weeks at a time and then move on to our next Thousand Trails park. (So we'll basically be moving every 3 weeks)

During the trip of 12-24 months we want to visit as many National Parks as possible and check out the US. The wife & I have been all over the world but never looked around the US that much! So since we homeschool our 6 year old daughter. We think it's a good time to check out our options.

Thanks again to everyone.
JRouch,

With the traveling you plan on doing, I completely understand and agree the diesel is probably the best way to go. Gas motor would work, but the diesel will laugh at only towing almost 10k lbs!!!

As mentioned, the issue with even a 2500/250 diesel can be the payload when towing a 5ver. Depending on which 5ver hitch you go with, you are probably looking at around 2k lbs pin weight (give or take) with the hitch (chances are a little more). Look in the drivers door jamb of each truck you look at for a yellow sticker, will state "All passengers and cargo not to exceed XXXXlbs". Chances are most of the 250/2500 diesels will be at most 2500lbs. For comparison, our '13 CHEVY (subliminal!!!) 2500HD has about 2750lbs of payload with the 6.0 gas motor (9500lb gvwr for gas motored GM 2500HD trucks). A friend had an '11 or '12 with the diesel and only had about 2200lbs payload with about the same options, and the GM diesels have a 10k lb gvwr.

Considering you are planning on full timing, look for the 350/3500 (GM) SRW diesel for the extra payload as mentioned.

Good luck finding the right truck (GM) and 5ver!!!

ps: Hopefully the subliminal msg's have helped!!! Lol

pps: Honestly, any of the Big 3 diesel trucks will more than do the job. Go test drive all 3 and see which one is the right fit for you and your family!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:09 AM   #14

Well, I haven't towed my new 5er yet, but as my signature notes below, I think you can tell which way I went for my new TV ;-)

Dave...

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:05 AM   #15

3/4 ton minimum. Pin weight could easily be 2000 lbs fully loaded. Plus hitch which can get pretty heavy. Plus passengers...

I'm not a super duty basher, but make sure you drive a chevy and Ram before you buy a ford. The 3/4 ton Chevy and Ram have a better ride than Ford. The F250 I drove rode just as rough as the 1 ton trucks.

If you go the diesel route, you pry better look at the 1 ton anyway. I looked at three F250's with the diesel and they all had a payload capacity of 2,000lbs. A Chevy gasser crew cab will pry have closer to 3,300lbs payload.

Good luck!
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hboy View Post
3/4 ton minimum. Pin weight could easily be 2000 lbs fully loaded. Plus hitch which can get pretty heavy. Plus passengers...

If you go the diesel route, you pry better look at the 1 ton anyway. I looked at three F250's with the diesel and they all had a payload capacity of 2,000lbs. A Chevy gasser crew cab will pry have closer to 3,300lbs payload.

Good luck!
While I haven't shopped the new body GM 2500HD Twins, not sure a decent optioned crew cab (LT/ SLE) would have that much more payload than the last gen (11-14) trucks. May be close to that if 2wd, but our 4X4 is 275Xlbs, LT with most of the "needed" options without being overpriced and should have been a LTZ. No buckets, leather, nav radio (do have the usb radio), etc.

If you referred to the 3500HD then it probably has around that for payload (+/- a little).

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #17

As mentioned if you are going diesel get a 1 ton. You are full timing and will pack accordingly. This means more stuff is coming along and you don't have the option of leaving things at home.
Unless you are getting a regular cab any diesel 3/4 ton payload will be around 2000lbs maybe up to 2500lbs if you get vinyl flooring and crank windows......ie no options.

I have a 2015 F250 gas XLT (not optioned out) and I have 2700lbs of payload. The diesel option takes at least 500lbs off that number usually a bit more.

If I were to do it again I would go straight to a one ton regardless. It is essentially an identical truck with more capability for marginally more cost.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...oad-24679.html
Old 03-10-2016, 10:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
With a DRY pin weight of 1545lbs, plus the 5ver hitch, plus the additional pin weight once the 5ver is loaded, the ONLY 150/1500 that may possibly be just adequate is the F150 with the max tow AND HD PAYLOAD package. Even the GM Twins with the Max Tow have maybe 1900lbs payload. He would be just about maxed, if not over even before all of the family is in the cab and any additional items are in the bed.

This 5ver is minimum 2500 territory depending on what the available payload is for that particular truck.
I'm still one of those guys who thinks you can never have too much towing capacity. However, the specs on the newer 1/2 ton trucks have impressed me and I would have never said that even 5 years ago (after all, I'm towing the same type rig with a 2500 Duramax). If the OP would not need a truck for mountainous terrain and only towing to locations for long periods of time (like a lot of full timers), I kinda still stand by my original thought that a 1/2 ton would be adequate under those circumstances. See attached (not interested in lengthy discussions on this either, so this is my last post on this thread ).
2016 Ford F-150 Full Size Pickup Truck | Payload Specifications | Ford.com

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote