Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2017, 07:00 PM   #1

Unbalanced Side to Side effect on tire wear

I own a 2016 Northpoint and am experiencing uneven tire wear on the outside of the driver's side tires. I just took the trailer in to check the alignment, but I stopped by scales on the way there. The result was 6,000lbs on the drivers side and 4,800lbs on the passenger side for a difference of 1,200lbs! (The hot water heater and my propane tanks were even empty which would add an additional ~150lbs.) I know that the residential fridge and large slide added some extra weight, but I think that over 1K is exsessive side to side. I plan on changing out my Rainier tires as well as getting the alignment checked, but is there anyone that can comment on what I can do to account for a imbalanced trailer and the potential effect on uneven tire wear?
ASwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #2

I had the same issue with my Pinnacle, It was 1100 pounds heavier on the left where the kitchen and bedroom slides are as well as the bathroom... I measured the distance between axles, and that side was about 3/8" further apart due to the springs flattening out... the way the suspension is designed the axles will move further from each other with more load... I am considering converting to torsion or air bag suspension, but in the meanwhile I upgraded the springs on the heavy side, stock was 3500 pounds each and I replaced them with 4000 pound springs.
The trailer is now level side to side and the axles are the same distance each side, I had replaced the tires at the same time and have not seen any uneven wear.. fyi, I went with the Goodyear G-rated RV tires and have been very happy with them.. also got the springs from the Lippert online store
Old 01-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. How many miles have you put on the tires after the mod to the springs? Also, did you reach out to Jayco at all to discuss the problem?
Old 01-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #4

about 2000 miles on the new tires...

Talked with one of the tech folks at Jayco, got a 'thank you' for letting us know, wasn't very genuine...
I've owned enough trailers to realize that unless it's a big item, I'm better of taking care of it myself. No fault to the Manufacturer, it's a real pain getting an appointment at a dealer that's less than a month or more wait..
Old 01-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #5

Have brought up the same problem on my 2014 White Hawk after experiencing significant wear on the outer edge of my right [passenger] side tires. The White hawk had a full galley slide on that side that I now assume is resulting to an unbalanced condition on the TT. I had about 10,000 miles or more on the TT before the problem was obvious. No blow out but replaced the worst tire before a Tgiving trip a few months ago and the other 3 after having a blow out [on the driver side] on the return trip home. Anyway the Passenger side tires were visabiliy worn while the other side tires showed only minor but even wear.

Don't plan on doing anything radical other than making sure all heavy "extras" are packed on the Drivers side while traveling. Things like the Honda 2000, tool box, water bottles and soft drinks. If I can switch 250 lbs of stuff from right to left, it will reduce the imbalance significantly. Would also help if we waited until we reached our destination before adding 40lbs of weight to the fridge/feezer. Not going to go crazy because I got 3+ years of service from the OEM tires and going forward plan on swapping them out after 3 years max and earlier if significant wear is noticed.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #6

I came across this product from Lippert called the Correct Track II which is suppose to fix alignment issues with unbalanced trailers. Correct Trackâ„¢ Suspension Alignment System It raises the trailer up 2in to account for the new Chevy and Ford's higher beds and allows alignment adjustment for each side of the trailer to account for imbalances. Unfortunately, not many dealers/repair facilities are certified by Lippert to install. Has anyone any experience installing this kit and adjusting it themselves?

Tags
alignment, uneven tire wear