Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #1

Unfinished Trim on 2013 356BHS Around Hitch

I usually end up sponsoring bird families in the hitch area of my fifth wheel. This year I was pro active and filled the large opening that allows access to a great nesting area. I cut pool noodles into 12 inch lengths and blocked the entrance thereby evicting the little fellows. While I was doing this I noticed that the panel that surrounds the fifth hitch was roughly cut out and not trimmed in any way. I wondered if anyone else with a recent model fifth has the same situation. My trailer is supposed to be sealed for four season use but this area certainly is wide open to the environment. I stuffed some pool noodles in the openings for now.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:22 AM   #2

Our eagle HT had a large gap on each side between the pin box and the aluminum underbelly. I noticed on our first outing that the insulation bats were working their way out. I was able to seal this with Gorilla Tape and never had any more problems.
2013 Jayco Premier 321 RLTS w/Atwood Levelegs (now removed)
ckdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:35 AM   #3

Our 2004 Designer has the alumninum trim butted up against the pin box, with no decorative trim, but no gaps, either. Never really gave it a thought. But every spring we have to evict a robin with her nest from the pin box itself, despite putting a piece of masonite over the opening. Somehow, she gets in there no matter what barrier I put up.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #4

Evicting Nesters

A couple years ago I was awoken early by a rustling noise under my bed. I had put a piece of plastic over the hitch opening after some birds started nesting but once they knew the opening was there they seemed determined to live there and were able to squeeze in. I got up and went out and started hitting the hitch with a stick and four adult birds came out in a panic and took off.
I went and bought a piece of aluminum and fitted it so there was no space to get in.