Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
Use a cover or not?

I dont have a shelter to put the new 5th wheel under so i am thinking about buying a cover. Will the cover harm the unit in anyway?

Which brand or type is best?

How easy or difficult are they to install?

Nlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I am anti-cover or tarp. First off all if you are in a windy area wind will dry your unit fast. Lift up the front end and drain on the back. Sure a cover will protect a unit from the elements during the stalled season. If you can afford and have the space to built a cover it makes sense. Otherwise the sales hype will get you to buy one. As long as the dealers not covering up I do neither.

2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-6500 lbs.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
We cover ours in the off-season, mainly to protect it from the sun, esp. the roof. It's very dry here and rarely very windy so I'm not concerned about that. YMMV, of course. We have an Adco cover we bought off Amazon. My only complaint is that despite carefully measuring the trailer and ordering the size that Adco recommended on their web site it's too big...about three feet too long so I have to bunch it up in the rear. I'd prefer a built shelter but a cover works for us. Be aware, tho, that with a cover on you can't open the slide(s) or run the fridge (the cover blocks the roof vent).
2008 Ford F250 Super Duty, Lariat, 6.4l PSD, Super Cab. Long Bed
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 27.5 RLS Fifth Wheel
bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
No pressure from the sales folks....i am just asking. I have never covered my TT but i have never spent this much for a 5th wheel & just would like to protect it. Thanks
Nlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
Originally Posted by Nlagman View Post
never spent this much for a 5th wheel & just would like to protect it. Thanks
I was thinking of a cover for my trailer. Like you I didnt like the idea of my new investment sitting out in a snow bank. I got "talked" out of it by folks here and decided to build a shelter. Unless you are in Jamaica, you arent far from me. And we are supposed to be getting a decent bit of snow tonight. I was looking at these covers http://www.nationaldiscountcovers.co...er-covers.html Edit: just saw no "G" in your location. I thought you might be in Kingston ny. And heres a link to the pole barn thread for what I wound up doing. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23902
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
The sun is your biggest enemy!! It may be the rain that causes the damage you see but the sun set you up for it. A high quality cover that was designed for your 5th wheel is definitely better then no cover. Do NOT use a tarp, they can't breath and will cause moisture issues.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
Site Team
I do use a cover but maybe this poll will help with your decision.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #8
We covered our last RV. Where we live, there is a pretty consistent afternoon breeze - 5-10 kts. The cover definitely does some harm, and causes the areas that it is pulled tight against to develop some chaffing. But, in the end, I believe it helped more that hurt. After seven years in a pretty hot/dry environment, the roof still looked pretty new. We keep our current unit in a covered storage facility. It's not enclosed, but it keeps the direct sun off of it. Oddly, I noticed over the weekend that the white plastic battens that cover the seems on the ceiling are yellowing. How does that happen? The motorhome is covered. The night shades are all drawn, and yet these pieces are yellowing. Hard to believe any UV light is hitting them.
Brian, Mary, kids, beagle - Moose, and mutt - Maggie.
2012 Greyhawk 31FS
2013 Ford Explorer Toad
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
To Cover or Not to Cover????

This topic will be around as long as there are RV's. (I own a Jayco Pinnacle.) COVER YOUR RIG UP!! My opinion comes from someone who lives in the Northeast. When all the snow lies on the roof and then starts to melt, several inches of heavy slush lays on the roof. All it would take is a very small area to leak and destroy most any part of the unit. The ultimate concern is usually having to spend money, sometimes as much as $500+ for the cover, for largest size/quality, etc. Why would anyone balk at spending a little bit more to protect an investment that costs thousands more than that, and that you will enjoy for many years?

Let me put it another way. If a free cover came with your trailer you'd cover it, correct? Well there's your answer! Another explanation or defense you hear all the time is that "..the dealers don't cover theirs." The reason for that is simple. It would be cost prohibitive to cover all of their inventory. Also, they are dealing with brand new vehicles and will have them sold by the time they have any issues with them. Used vehicles they cross their fingers and try to sell them as quickly as possible. Again, they don't "own" them.

Lastly, don't cover it with a blue tarp from Home Depot! You will look like (forgive me) "trailer trash" and it will tear! Most all of the designed covers are extremely light weight with a reinforced roof and breathable sides. Take care of your unit and it will in turn take care of you and your family.
Texas79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #10
We don't cover and haven't for the 4 years we have had the trailer, in Canada. Knock on wood no problems, I believe Jayco makes a good product and there should be no need to cover it. A flat cover won't help with snow load anyway and imho could reduce the amount of run off on a warm day and increase ice build up as a result.

Barry and Lisa
with 2 Tollers!

2007 F250 Powerstroke Diesel
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote