Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #1
Using Slides when Closed

Just wondering if a closed bedroom slide can support weight (or any slide for that manner)? Are they just as strong when opened?

John & Pam Moore
Fairview, Oregon
2017 Jayco 321RSTS
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #2
on the bedroom slide ours comes up and in and is actually floating off the floor on foot of bed when its completely in so I would be leery of it

2011 F250 King Ranch Crew Cab Diesel , 2015 Jayco Eagle 338 rets
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #3
Our slide does the same thing. We don't use any part of it when it's closed.
2016 Ford F150 Scab - 3.5 Ecoboost HD Tow - Roadmaster Active Suspension - Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

2016 Jayco 28BHBE - Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
Site Team
We have slept on ours with the br slide in. We use the main slide that holds the table and chairs to eat in while on the road. We just avoid stepping on the very edge of the slide. Never had any problems.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:37 PM   #5
The manufacturers will tell you not to use the slides in the closed/in position as possible damage could occur due to the raised portion of floor area of the slide.
I do understand why this is, however, like Norty1, we have utilized our dinette on the road to sit down and have a lunch without any problems or issues.
This goes along like many other items such as leaving propane on and refrigerator on when traveling, or placing support jacks under the slide outs when parked. The manufacturers will tell you not to do these things because possible damage can occur. Meanwhile, many of us have broken these rules for years and on many different rigs without any issue.
What it really boils down to is personal responsibility. If you are using it in a manner other than what the manufacturer says, YOU should have enough personal integrity to accept the consequences when SHTF.
2015 White Hawk 25BHS Glacier Package
2004 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.7 Hemi, 5Spd Manual
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #6
One of the FEW consistent messages that I got during PDI's on units with slides was not to put weight on them when they aren't extended.
Be Safe, and Everyone Goes a Home,

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #7
I would be cautious putting any significant weight on the edges of the slides when they are lifted. It would not be an area I would want to have to do any type of repair on if it were to crack or break as it would likely require removal of the slide.

The bedroom slide on our fifth wheel is a little different design in that it doesn't lift up when retracted and I get no sensation of flexing being on the bed when it is in so I wouldn't worry about that one.

But if the slide lifts up before it retracts, I would be careful.
2009 F350 CC LB 4WD
2017 Jayco 355MBQS
Rustysocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #8
Motorhome slides are designed to be occupied while in, towables on the other hand, we avoid being in them while retracted. Remember, your slide floor (on a flush floor) is floating above the floor while in, and that the floor is secured from the bottom of the floor up through the side wall by screws. Step in the wrong place, and you might start working the whole floor loose from the sidewall of the slide, or working something else loose. The slide floors in the Jayco towables are thin, as they are with most manf. I'd avoid it, but that's just me. Walk around in one while it's in, feel your dinette framing or something else come loose, and you'll know why I have this opinion. They just aren't designed for occupation while in. A lot of the motorhomes are framed slide floors, thus having a floor layer, inner framing and a bottom, and they are a lot stronger.
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-8 / Little John-5 / Iva-1+
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat FX4, CC LB PSD, DRW
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #9
I never would have guessed that the slide-outs aren't meant to carry weight while retracted. This is good information for those who have a towable. I personally don't have to worry about it, because the Seneca has slide outs built like a tank, and they are meant to be occupied while traveling since there are seat belts on the dinette seats and couch seats. But this is our first RV with slide outs, and I guess I assumed they were all the same. With so much cost and potential difficulty if they break down, it's good to use these as designed.
2006 Jayco Seneca 34SS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
Dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #10
Yes, my comments were specific to a towable.

I wouldn't think twice about using them in a motorhome.

2009 F350 CC LB 4WD
2017 Jayco 355MBQS
Rustysocket is offline   Reply With Quote