Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #1

Using Slides when Closed

Just wondering if a closed bedroom slide can support weight (or any slide for that manner)? Are they just as strong when opened?
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #2

on the bedroom slide ours comes up and in and is actually floating off the floor on foot of bed when its completely in so I would be leery of it
Old 09-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #3

Our slide does the same thing. We don't use any part of it when it's closed.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
Site Team

We have slept on ours with the br slide in. We use the main slide that holds the table and chairs to eat in while on the road. We just avoid stepping on the very edge of the slide. Never had any problems.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:37 PM   #5

The manufacturers will tell you not to use the slides in the closed/in position as possible damage could occur due to the raised portion of floor area of the slide.
I do understand why this is, however, like Norty1, we have utilized our dinette on the road to sit down and have a lunch without any problems or issues.
This goes along like many other items such as leaving propane on and refrigerator on when traveling, or placing support jacks under the slide outs when parked. The manufacturers will tell you not to do these things because possible damage can occur. Meanwhile, many of us have broken these rules for years and on many different rigs without any issue.
What it really boils down to is personal responsibility. If you are using it in a manner other than what the manufacturer says, YOU should have enough personal integrity to accept the consequences when SHTF.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #6

One of the FEW consistent messages that I got during PDI's on units with slides was not to put weight on them when they aren't extended.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #7

I would be cautious putting any significant weight on the edges of the slides when they are lifted. It would not be an area I would want to have to do any type of repair on if it were to crack or break as it would likely require removal of the slide.

The bedroom slide on our fifth wheel is a little different design in that it doesn't lift up when retracted and I get no sensation of flexing being on the bed when it is in so I wouldn't worry about that one.

But if the slide lifts up before it retracts, I would be careful.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #8

Motorhome slides are designed to be occupied while in, towables on the other hand, we avoid being in them while retracted. Remember, your slide floor (on a flush floor) is floating above the floor while in, and that the floor is secured from the bottom of the floor up through the side wall by screws. Step in the wrong place, and you might start working the whole floor loose from the sidewall of the slide, or working something else loose. The slide floors in the Jayco towables are thin, as they are with most manf. I'd avoid it, but that's just me. Walk around in one while it's in, feel your dinette framing or something else come loose, and you'll know why I have this opinion. They just aren't designed for occupation while in. A lot of the motorhomes are framed slide floors, thus having a floor layer, inner framing and a bottom, and they are a lot stronger.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #9

I never would have guessed that the slide-outs aren't meant to carry weight while retracted. This is good information for those who have a towable. I personally don't have to worry about it, because the Seneca has slide outs built like a tank, and they are meant to be occupied while traveling since there are seat belts on the dinette seats and couch seats. But this is our first RV with slide outs, and I guess I assumed they were all the same. With so much cost and potential difficulty if they break down, it's good to use these as designed.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #10

Yes, my comments were specific to a towable.

I wouldn't think twice about using them in a motorhome.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #11

I've never given it any thought. In mine, one cannot access the bedroom closet, etc without crawling on the bed. When "packing & un-packing" for a trip, I've always crawled on the bed to put things in the closet and drawers. I guess I will have to re-think that. Same with the table and couch. Now, I did shape a 2X4 to match the angle of the edge of the slide. When the slide is retracted, I place the board under the exposed edge thus giving it support should someone step on the edge.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:21 PM   #12

I have read about quite a few people using this method. I would do it myself but I am afraid of forgetting to remove it when I move the slide out (and breaking something).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
I've never given it any thought. In mine, one cannot access the bedroom closet, etc without crawling on the bed. When "packing & un-packing" for a trip, I've always crawled on the bed to put things in the closet and drawers. I guess I will have to re-think that. Same with the table and couch. Now, I did shape a 2X4 to match the angle of the edge of the slide. When the slide is retracted, I place the board under the exposed edge thus giving it support should someone step on the edge.

Shorty
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #13

Considering the weight of the 'stuff' designed to ride in the slide at all times - dinette, sleeper couch, kitchen, etc... I see no reason not to be able to use them when they are retracted. They should be designed for holding that weight and more while also enduring the rolling earthquake during travel.

I'm just always careful not to step on the edge of the slide floor, and walk gently, in case there are any soft spots. But being able to use the entire RV with slides IN (say, at a walmart or truck stop), is a major requirement for many people.

-Tina
2015 Seneca 37TS, Pending...
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:09 PM   #14

When we bought our bumper pull. We discussed the use of the slides while retracted. They said there is nothing wrong with using them. Even had the kids sit on them while they retracted it.

At home we never open it up except to due maintenance. We sit on the couch and put groceries on it while prepping. Never have had any issues. It feels rock solid.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #15

In our Class C Greyhawk, the dinette is on the slide, and the dinette has the seat-belts. So unless someone @ Jayco wasn't thinking - our slide *has* to be used while retracted.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #16

Answer from Jayco

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7349 View Post
Just wondering if a closed bedroom slide can support weight (or any slide for that manner)? Are they just as strong when opened?
I have been wondering about this too in our 5er and sent an email to Jayco to see what they say. Following is their response:

I believe you can reach both the couch and the bed with the slides retracted, so they should be able to utilized in that position. If the couch is a hide-a-bed, I don’t believe you would be able to use this function with the slide retracted.

Thank you,

Ben Parker
Technical Representative
Old 02-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #17

We just put a 3' long piece of 1/2" plywood under the leading edge. To help in not forgetting to remove it before extending the slide I put a small note taped above the slide out button.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #18

Never gave this any thought til now, good topic. Now I wonder if they (Jayco) were actually thinking ahead on my North Point 383FLFA, 4 of the 5 slides are the schwintec in wall slides, the slide with the bed is one of the under body mounted motor and rail systems. The bed is easily accessible with all slides closed, and I have slept on it a few times while traveling with the slide closed.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:08 PM   #19

We use ours all the time when traveling. I don't trust putting the slide out in a parking lot somewhere. Never had any issues. Bunk Beds, bathroom, Refrigerator are all easily accessible with the slide in.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:12 PM   #20

The only thing holding that floor to the walls in a lci flush floor slide is some screws going through the floor up into the side walls from the bottom. Talking A majority of the Jayco towables. If you trust that, go ahead and walk in them. You will eventually pull the floor loose from the walls, or at least it's a possibility.

Just watch one assembled and you'll see. I steer clear of walking in them while retracted.

As for the Motorhomes, they are designed to be occupied while retracted, at least in most of them.

To each there own.

Be sure to check your slide design before walking around in them. Trust me, you might just cause yourself some damage.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote