Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #1

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Very Disappointed in Jayco Response

While on the roof of our brand new 2012 31.5 RLTS I noticed a few areas where there appears to be debris under the rubber membrane poking up, looks like there is a screw poking up. I don't know how long it will be but I'm sure given enough time and use and exposure to the sun that this will eventually come through the rubber.

I just received a call back from Jayco warranty that SHOCKED me. The guy said that this is normal and that Jayco would likely do NOTHING about it. He said it is impossible to remove all the debris under a rubber membrane during construction and that since they have been using this material he has NEVER heard of anything coming through the rubber from underneath. He said the dealer can send pictures but that Jayco would most likely not do anything. Is this the fine Amish craftmanship I have heard so much about? When asked what I was supposed to do if in 3 years the material wore a hole in the rubber and I was out of my 2 year Jayco warranty? His reply was that he would make a note of my call and that was all he could do.

The main reason we bought Jayco was because of their reputation for quality construction, this lack of concern for an obvious lapse in quality control is very disappointing to me. I am now questioning my decision to buy Jayco. I really expected better from them.

Steve
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #2

Time to contact www.bbb.org
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #3

I would think that with pictures and a letter from your dealer with what he thinks the problem is might help with the problem. If it is a screw or piece of construction debri you will probably have a problem down the road.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donr827 View Post
I would think that with pictures and a letter from your dealer with what he thinks the problem is might help with the problem. If it is a screw or piece of construction debri you will probably have a problem down the road.
Don
I have an appointment at the dealership this coming Wednesday. I just have to take a wait and see on this one I guess.

Never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Steve
Old 02-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #5

Our experience has been, if you do have a problem later and the issue has been documented by your dealer and sent to JAYCO, they will cover it if and when it happens.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Our experience has been, if you do have a problem later and the issue has been documented by your dealer and sent to JAYCO, they will cover it if and when it happens.
Thank you Grumpy, this is good to know and would take some of the anxiety away.

Steve
Old 02-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #7

Photograph and document document document docu-----
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #8

From my experience, I'm on my third camper, this is a common problem, and the response you got from Jayco is the same as you would get from most other manufacturers. I had similar issues with both Trail Lite and Holiday Rambler, got the same response you did and, as it turned out, it was a non issue, as a problem never materialized. As luck would have it, my new Jayco does not have this issue, just lucky, I guess, but I wouldn't worry about it.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #9

Ironic...I had the exact same thing 4 years ago when I bought a KZ Spree. I took it back to my dealer who contacted Spree. KZ responded back and asked that the dealer repair by cutting the roof membrane at the problem then patching with Eternabond tape. The item found underneath the membrane was a broken torx bit. I never had a problem. That Eternabond tape was incredible. I checked it often but that stuff beacme part of the roof. The fix was simple and one that I could have easily done myself but wanted them to handle it. Maybe you can suggest this to your dealer.

My X23J just arrived...I hope I dont have any issues.
InspiredBMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredBMX View Post
snip...... That Eternabond tape was incredible. I checked it often but that stuff beacme part of the roof..... snip
I keep a roll of Eternabond in my TT for those "just in case moments", and this summer I plan to run some Eternabond along the front & rear cap roof seams..... great product.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 AM   #11

My father-in-law had a similar problem with staples coming up and Fleetwood had to replace the rubber roof after removing all the staples. Jayco seems to stand behind their products pretty good from what I've seen.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
Site Team

Here`s hoping they come through for you. I have seen the pics at RVnet and I can tell you my roof looks nothing like that, it is neat and tight. I would think your roof is an exception and not the norm, which I know is little comfort to you, but maybe in the end they will make it right. I wonder just what sort of debris that stuff is that is poking up like that..........
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #13

Well it is now official, Jayco's reply to the servicing dealer is that there is no issue with my roof and that it is a perfectly acceptable roof. I had also sent pix to the rubber roof material company (Alpha Systems) and they said they couldn't get involved between me and Jayco (this is what I expected would happen) but they were going to forward my information on to Jayco. The servicing dealer was really of little help here as their opinion was that the roof looked "normal" to them. So I guess sloppy workmanship is the new "normal".

For those of you who may not have seen the pix they are here:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...pging/1/page/4 Just scroll down to see them, these are but a few of the areas.

I'm not sure what my next course of action will be at this time but if you have any ideas or suggestions I would appreciate the input(PLEASE NO SUGGESTIONS OF LEGAL ACTION).

Tell me, is it me? Am I expecting to much from Jayco? Would this be "perfectly acceptable" to you? I'm really concerned about the large areas along the door side of the trailer where the rubber is not down on the plywood.

Should I:

1. Write a ceritfied letter to the CEO with photos?

2. Put a large sign in the back window that says "ASK ME ABOUT MY JAYCO ROOF" and then take a picture of it and send to Jayco telling them that this is how my trailer travels until my roof is fixed?

3. Call the local Network TV consumer line (Call Curtis and Call 3 in this area) and ask for their help?

4. Call the Better Business Bureau?

5. Sit down, shut up, and live with this roof until we get rid of the trailer and hope nothing goes wrong?

Thanks for reading

Steve
Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #14

Did you see Jayco's reply? Who at Jayco is it from?

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #15

Anyone else with roof issues on here?

Pick up our new Pinnacle next Thursday and although not fond of heights (and I use to fly airplanes for a living) will take a look up there during the walk through.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #16

Can you do some preventive maintenance and put a patch of eternabond on it BEFORE it becomes a bigger problem? My opinion is with you, they should fix it but that doesn't help you any. Stinks to have a "patch" on your new roof but since they say you're on your own it couldn't hurt. I have something under the flooring poking up between the stove and dinette on my new TT. Feels like a staple.(and alot of crookedly driven screws everywhere and other minor details) If they would slow down just a bit I think they would make a lot better product. Sorry about your roof. Best of Luck
Reese Strait Line Trunnion Dual Cam WD
Tekonsha P3
cheetahflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead View Post

5. Sit down, shut up, and live with this roof until we get rid of the trailer and hope nothing goes wrong?
Steve, go camping. Quit stressing. You've done all you could. Time to move on.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:05 AM   #18

Have you thought about posting a picture to their Facebook page? If you are going to go "public" with it, this would be a good first step. I've noticed they are responding to their page a lot quicker lately. Pick the picture that best shows the junk that has the most potential of rubbing/poking through. And ask them about it without too much emotion in your text if you can. I can't. But maybe you can.

Along with a letter and pictures to the CEO would be my next moves.

Because I would not just move on. Moving on means I have could have a huge headache later on with the roof that could have been prevented if I hung in a little longer. Ask my husband, I'm the worry wart of the family. Cosmetic stuff, don't care; structural items, I can't stop worrying.

I really hope Jayco comes through for you on this without you having to go to the media, only because that is a hassle for you.

2012 Eagle SL 308 RETS
Lady Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
...Because I would not just move on. Moving on means I have could have a huge headache later on with the roof that could have been prevented if I hung in a little longer....
I have a couple of bumps under my roof membrane.

The trailer is over 9 years old and they have not rubbed though (yet). If they do, I'll slap a piece of Eternabond over it.

Jayco is not going to fix it. It's a common issue that rarely results in roof membrane tears. Most trailers have similar problems and it goes unnoticed because folks don't study their roof as close as others.

Jayco could prevent the problem, but it would increase their price point.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #20
Site Team

When we bought our 04 SunnyBrook I looked on the roof the day we picked it up. I had many of the same thoughts and feeling expressed here. Lots of places that looked loose, many spots where "something" was under the membrane, many places where someone with hob nail boots walked on the roof while the glue was still wet.etc. I took it to the dealer and they responded the same way. I took pictures and documented how it looked.

8 years later, we traded it in and we never had any problems with the roof.

I am glad I did not worry about it for 8 years.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote