Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #1

Voyager wireless camera qyestion

Does anyone here have the Voyager wireless camera with monitor? If so what do you think of it? Does it meet your expectations or does it fall short. I have searched for any threads on it but have not found any, of course I do have trouble with searches at times.

I'm looking an HT model and was wondering if it a worthwhile option? I haven't bought my truck and it will either be a Ram or a Ford. With a Ford I can order it with the 7 camera system and have a hard wired camera but I don't know if it is worth the effort to wire in a camera if the Voyager works well. I would also like to be able to turn on the camera anytime I want and with the Ford it would only be on when the truck is in reverse.

Anybody have any thoughts they would like to share? Does anybody know what model Jayco uses?

I had the Garmin with the BC20 camera in the past and it worked fairly well but did have fall out at times.

Thanks,

Butch
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #2

I have the factory installed Voyager camera system. There is a delay in the transmission as the manufacturer says. So the vehicle that is behind you is probably beside you now passing. Mine also looses signal a lot, I mean a lot!. I'm going to write it up under warranty for the transmission issues. I dislike the delay as well. Definitely disappointed in the $592.00 option.

The 2018 Jayco's are using the lippert camera system now. Don't know if it's a better system or not. Can't be any worse!

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #3

By the way, camping world or any large dealer normally has the Voyager and the Lippert units on display and functioning if you wish to check them out in person.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #4

Thanks for all your info. Looks like I need to go to Camping World and see their display Or I can just forget it and get the wired Ford system.
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch50 View Post
Does anyone here have the Voyager wireless camera with monitor? If so what do you think of it? Does it meet your expectations or does it fall short. I have searched for any threads on it but have not found any, of course I do have trouble with searches at times.

I'm looking an HT model and was wondering if it a worthwhile option? I haven't bought my truck and it will either be a Ram or a Ford. With a Ford I can order it with the 7 camera system and have a hard wired camera but I don't know if it is worth the effort to wire in a camera if the Voyager works well. I would also like to be able to turn on the camera anytime I want and with the Ford it would only be on when the truck is in reverse.

Anybody have any thoughts they would like to share? Does anybody know what model Jayco uses?

Thanks,

Butch
We just got a new 2018 5'r with factory installed Voyager wireless camera system. The camper came pre-wired for it so there's less install issues if you decide to do it after the fact. During PDI, we were told you could utilize the camera from within the bedroom due to the 12v adapter. I hooked it up, no picture. Turns out it's wired for power w/the tow vehicle attached and driving lights ON. Once it's on, I don't have any problem seeing something behind me.

The better question is - Is it worth it? My F250 came with 5 cameras + this Voyager and I'm still a little nervous due to the fact our 5'r is NEW. The last thing I want to do is hit something when parking it. I like the piece of mind myself.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #6

We got the factory installed Voyager system and had signal troubles from day 1. I fixed it by purchasing a 30' cable and put the antenna on our front AC unit and now I get 5 bars of signal running down the road. Our dealer really stepped up and wrote Jayco and they covered the cost of the cable!!!
Attached Thumbnails
antenna.jpg   Backup camera.jpg  
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:37 AM   #7

I may have to try the same approach. Mine typically gets 1-2 bars of signal at best. It works "most" of the time. It's definitely worked every time I've needed it, especially when backing into a spot. It only seems to go out when heading down the highway at speed.
sean.harp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #8

Mine works well enough I guess. No probs with signal strength or picture quality.

If I had two complaints, I guess one would be the field of view is IMO, too wide.
It's OK for clearing the area behind you. But as for being an 'aiming aid' in putting the trailer where you want it, it's rather useless. It should be better for that, it is called a backup camera after all.

#2 would be additional mounting options for the monitor. I'd like to put it on top of the dash, but the suction cup won't work there.

However, when the day comes when I start pulling a 2nd trailer behind, it'll be real nice for monitoring the status of the 2nd trailer which would otherwise be in a blind spot.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail_gunner View Post
Mine works well enough I guess. No probs with signal strength or picture quality.

If I had two complaints, I guess one would be the field of view is IMO, too wide.
It's OK for clearing the area behind you. But as for being an 'aiming aid' in putting the trailer where you want it, it's rather useless. It should be better for that, it is called a backup camera after all.

#2 would be additional mounting options for the monitor. I'd like to put it on top of the dash, but the suction cup won't work there.

However, when the day comes when I start pulling a 2nd trailer behind, it'll be real nice for monitoring the status of the 2nd trailer which would otherwise be in a blind spot.
I agree with the field of vision. When I'm towing with bikes in the receiver I turn the camera at them to watch and when I am towing without I point it further down the road. I use it during backing up but I have a hard time looking at the monitor when I have been using the mirrors for the past 25 years.

I too want to come up with a better mounting system for the monitor. If you come up with something before I do let me know!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoneys View Post
We got the factory installed Voyager system and had signal troubles from day 1. I fixed it by purchasing a 30' cable and put the antenna on our front AC unit and now I get 5 bars of signal running down the road. Our dealer really stepped up and wrote Jayco and they covered the cost of the cable!!!

Great idea! My signal is terrible as well. Plus with the trailer being 37' tongue to bumper, it makes the signal stretch that much further. I can never get a signal while driving down the road.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
We just got a new 2018 5'r with factory installed Voyager wireless camera system. The camper came pre-wired for it so there's less install issues if you decide to do it after the fact. During PDI, we were told you could utilize the camera from within the bedroom due to the 12v adapter. I hooked it up, no picture. Turns out it's wired for power w/the tow vehicle attached and driving lights ON. Once it's on, I don't have any problem seeing something behind me.

The better question is - Is it worth it? My F250 came with 5 cameras + this Voyager and I'm still a little nervous due to the fact our 5'r is NEW. The last thing I want to do is hit something when parking it. I like the piece of mind myself.
Get the camera! I did not when I ordered and now wished I did!! My 2017 HT 27.5 RLTS is at camping world getting a new back window installed after I backed too close to my garage!! I will order the backup camera and install myself, but wasted time and a trip to CW to find out that I needed it - bonedhead move!!