Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2017, 06:02 AM   #1

Warranty Questions

After reading throughout the forum threads about the warranty problems people are having, I am starting to regret ordering a 27.5RKDS FW from Jayco. My question is, how much of the trouble is the dealers and how much is Jayco themselves?? The dealer we are using is in Mass. and has a very good reputation. Thank you..
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:17 AM   #2

Bear in mind that negative posts stand out because owners do not normally post that things are going well. For example, I've never posted that my slide, fridge, furnace, A/C, water pump, etc. have worked flawlessly. On the other hand I did post that we were very unhappy with the Girard tankless water heater and that we had rust on the chassis frame.

From a purely unscientific scanning of the forum postings for three years, I think you can anticipate the need for some warranty work to remedy things not caught at the factory. There may be a chance of something major requiring work, but I think that is much less likely and seems to be the luck-of-the-draw kind of thing.

Having a good dealer is important. In our case they replaced the balky Girard with a Suburban 6-gallon tank model and also sanded and recoated the frame under warranty.

The odds are in your favor that you will be happy with your Jayco. We certainly are.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:35 AM   #3

Warranty Questions

I can't say how much trouble dealers or Jayco are because I've never needed them post sale. I'm on my second Jayco and both have been problem free. Sold the first one to a family member so I know it's still problem free. When I bought my first camper posts about slide issues swayed me towards a camper with no slide. But then I wanted more space so I bought my current camper with a slide and I am very happy. So I guess your always taking a chance but I believe far more people have no issues than those who do.

And since your dealer has a good rep I wouldn't worry. I've also read a lot of positive posts about Jayco taking care of warranty issues....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:42 AM   #4

I think you are going to find good and bad in every RV you choose. Now that Jayco is owned by Thor, which is one of the largest RV companies, my thoughts would be it can only get better. I'm sure people have gotten the run around and others haven't. I am dealing with an issue with my Hot water heater. Using the dealer for all of it has proven to be the best bet for me right now., They have been very responsive, and have been sending me parts to troubleshoot before I have to tow it to them, which is over an hour each way.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #5

I My experience both Jayco directly and my dealer have been a pleasure to deal with and resolve my issues to my satisfaction. They have even gone a little beyond the 2 year period on a a few things with my first unit.

All manufacturers are going to have their issues. The key is having a good dealer for when those issues arise.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:23 AM   #6

Warranty Issues

Thanks all for the replies. I understand about manufacturing issues, but we have owned 3 travel trailers, all purchased new, and never had any issues with them. I now feel a little better about our purchase, now if only we can get a build date, I will be very happy...
Old 04-26-2017, 07:30 AM   #7

Are you buying from Forrest Marine in Tyngsboro?
If so, rest easy. They are great! I've had a few small warranty issues taken care of in a timely and effective fashion. They have gone above and beyond to satisfy our issues.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
If so, rest easy. They are great! I've had a few small warranty issues taken care of in a timely and effective fashion. They have gone above and beyond to satisfy our issues.
Yes we are. We live in NH and they are the closest dealer. Testimonials on their website were all positive, but nowadays hard to tell fact from fiction. Thank you for the reassurance that our decision is a correct one..
Old 04-26-2017, 07:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
This is where I bought my 5er. They have been great on all aspects.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #10

As NC Roamer said, 99% of the bad posts I think are dealer related, not Jayco, but I have no stats to prove it. I believe locating and working with a good dealer is well worth it.

One thing most people seem to forget, these campers are all hand made, they are made quick. They are not made with robots like a car. As we all know it is easy for the humans to make a mistake, have a bad day, be distracted. So not every camper will come off the line absolutely perfect. They will all need a little tweak, it might be something you can do, or it might need to be brought back in.

The first year I had my HTT, I brought my camper in 3-4 times, mostly for small things that I could easily do. I street parked, so bring it to the dealership go it off the street. The second year, I brought it in to have the vinyl decals replaced as they were bubbling up. Usually I had my HTT back within one maybe two weeks. The dealer always asked when we needed it back, and worked with us. Once some part, was back ordered, they fixed everything else, within a week or so, they had it ready for me to go camping. When we got home, we dropped it back off the next week, for the final repair.

Every time I called Jayco, I have had a very good discussion with them, and they were very helpful.

Honestly, I do not think it matters which brand camper you buy, there is always a risk that you will have one with some issues. Just fully expect in your first year or so, to have small items that will pop up.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
As NC Roamer said, 99% of the bad posts I think are dealer related, not Jayco, but I have no stats to prove it. I believe locating and working with a good dealer is well worth it.
I couldn't agree more. Where you buy is as important as what you buy when it comes to these rigs IMO.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:29 PM   #12

Warranty Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
After reading throughout the forum threads about the warranty problems people are having, I am starting to regret ordering a 27.5RKDS FW from Jayco. My question is, how much of the trouble is the dealers and how much is Jayco themselves?? The dealer we are using is in Mass. and has a very good reputation. Thank you..
We are in Arizona after 1 1/2 years in to are warranty, the dealer was not turning all are warranty request to Jayco.Best I can figure they were picking and choosing what repairs they wanted to do.For example one month into are warranty we complained about roof installation.Dealer said we see that problem on many Eagles.Not true we are getting a complete roof replacement finally.We found out after warranty is requested through dealer,follow up with a call to Jayco.Make sure they have everything on your list!They will always want your vin number first.Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Tombstone 09 (5).jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:34 PM   #13

More dealer issues than Jayco issues

In my opinion and experience, more problems after the sale are dealer related than Jayco/manufacturer related. That said, the blood for my two major problems since purchase - poor quality tire failures and fiberglass cracks at the slide corner - is completely on Jayco's hands. But the solutions should have been handled better by my dealer. Frankly, we should never be forced to deal with Jayco directly but have no choice due to the sad state of the RV dealer industry. Anyone ever called Tokyo to chat with Toyota about the AC on your Camry!?

Customer service levels have deteriorated so badly that our expectations have now adjusted to where we don't even expect good service anymore. My final straw with my dealer came when I needed some minor service and stopped by to get an appointment. They are 30+ days behind and won't put me on the schedule until I bring the unit and leave it. Now I live 10 minutes from my dealer, keep my 5er inside and I'm retired. When I suggested I could save them some outside space on their crowded lot PLUS keep my unit inside during the TX Spring hail season until they call me and I can have it there in an hour - No! They will not schedule me until I drop the unit off ... period!

Good little robots following some policy set by a guy who should be collecting tolls in a booth.

I'm almost looking forward to the warranty expiration! ☹️
Old 04-26-2017, 02:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretasDad View Post
They will not schedule me until I drop the unit off ... period!
I've read where that seems to be the policy of many dealers. You are correct. It does not pass the common sense test. I've also thought it strange that a dealer will set it on the lot for weeks or even months ahead of the actual repair date, but then begin charging a daily storage fee if you do not pick it up within so many days after the work is complete.

We are about 30 minutes from our Jayco dealer and fortunately I can drop it the evening prior or even the morning of my appointment.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote