Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2016, 08:43 AM   #1

Warranty Service

Hello everyone. We wanted to share our experiences with Jayco thus far. We purchased a 36FBTS back on 4/15/16. So far we've been disappointed with our purchase it as it's failed in 7 different instances, everything from the plumbing to the awning to the appliances. I'm starting to think we've been sold a lemon. To add insult to injury, warranty service is provided by Camper World in St. George, UT. They have to be the worst providers of service we've ever experienced. We wait days on end for them to get around to repairing. We even paid for Elite status Good Sam membership and the extended 3 year warranty to the tune of about $3,500. The sell a good game but they cannot back up the service end. Has anyone experienced anything such as this? Have we just been had? Thanks all.
Stuck in St. George.
ebramlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #2

I know I'm a broken record. I put the responsibility on your dealer. Not sure what kind of plumbing issues you had, but the appliances and awning come from a supplier who your dealer can actually deal with directly, if they really want to keep you happy.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #3

Yes, there are issues.

Personally, I had the brand-new fridge fail on the first outing (poor QC at the Dometic factory) and had to effect an in-the-field repair that included de-kinking the propane hose.

Several minor fit-and-finish items with the cabinetry. Adjusted at Camp Driveway.

Camping World & Good Sam? Won't do business with them again. The buying process was the same as a new car. Recommended accessories are overpriced and don't fit!

Overall I am satisfied with the Jayco product.

Once you get the bugs ironed out, you'll enjoy your portable house too.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:42 AM   #4

The dealer is my dilemma. They are very unresponsive so we just wait and wait and wait. Am I at their mercy?
Old 07-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #5

I have been reading these forums obsessively since we started looking for, then purchasing our trailer last year.

The common theme I have found is that the RV industry sucks when it comes to repair service.

Knowing this going into this adventure, I determined early on that I would fix most things myself and only use the warranty if the repair was a major expense or major workload.

Fortunately, over the last 8 months or so, repairs have only cost a few hundred dollars and some elbow grease.

I'd say "knock on wood", but the back of the dinette might fall off if I did that, LOL!
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebramlet View Post
Am I at their mercy?
I say no. Contact JAYCO, explain the issues and see if there is an RV service center/tech near you that they work with.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #7

There is a guy named Greg Gerber who publishes a widely viewed newsletter for the RV Industry that has written a series of articles called RV Industry Death Spiral. The newsletter is named RV Daily Report. I would suggest you look it up with a google search and read it in it's entirety. It addresses the RV industry as a whole as well as specific references to the recent purchase of Jayco by Thor. It also makes reference to Camping World. I think you will gain a lot of I insight into what the near future of being a RV owner has in store for you.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #8

I so agree. If I had to do over again, I would not. I'd also recommend no one else do either. I think now it's a gig scam consisting of nothing more than turd polishers. Thanks so much.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado2500HD View Post
It also makes reference to Camping World. I think you will gain a lot of I insight into what the near future of being a RV owner has in store for you.
It's like most other articles, one person's opinion.

Just like his quote from a dealer who is out $500,000, not a very smart business person. There are 100s of dealers providing good service, just like there are thousands of very satisfied owners. Yes, I haven't always had the perfect unit, but my dealer and STARCRAFT or JAYCO always took care of the problem in a very timely manner.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #10

I agree with Grumpy, the article is one persons view of it. I cannot say I have had bad experience with Jayco, In fact I have had the opposite. The components for all RV's are made by independent companies, that is not to say that Jayco will not step up to the plate, they did for me.

There are many dealers that are outstanding, then there are those that shouldn't be in business at all, I happened to deal with one when I purchased my MH, that is why Jayco stepped in.

Speak to Jayco, they can make a big difference
Attached Thumbnails
36UN.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #11

I actually love my dealer - Crown RV in Georgia. Family owned business since 1971, Earl runs the sales, his wife runs the service. They aren't just employees, It's their business and their livelyhood so they HAVE to care about service. They are down one service tech right now and so stay backed up, but they give warranty service a top priority.

When I had a slide motor go out right before a weekend camping trip - they knew they couldn't get a replacement motor from Jayco for days if not weeks. So they sent a driver to an RV parts house to get a 3rd party motor. They put the 3rd party motor in, made a warranty claim with Jayco, and when the motor came in from Jayco, offered to swap it into the unit at no charge.

I tried to buy this same unit from Camping World - but the salesman couldn't answer my questions, never called me back and his price was higher than Crown RV.

I did have Camping World put new fabric on my previous TT's awning a few years back - they did OK on that but I did wait a few weeks for an appointment.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I say no. Contact JAYCO, explain the issues and see if there is an RV service center/tech near you that they work with.
I agree, Been there myself. Jayco gave me options and so far it's been working out OK. At least I'm not the chaser anymore, having to contact 24/7 trying to get a update.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #13

I would look for another dealer. A lot of dealers will go out of their way, because at some point you are going to want a new RV again. If you are satisfied with them, they know
you will probably buy with them.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:00 PM   #14

I found that when I had to have warranty work done on our 5th wheel, other dealers would not do anything, telling me to go to my dealer. I did not like my dealer's service department. I called Jayco, they told me I could go where I choose to have any warranty work done. I told them that other dealers would not help us, Jayco called the dealer of my choice and arranged for them to do the work. Now, I go to that dealer for whatever I need and they have a customer for life from us.
"Hannah" and "Jasper" our tagalong poms
KLGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:48 AM   #15

I bought our RV at a camping world in Tuscon AZ. They did an excellent job fixing some items that needed attention before I picked up the unit. We had a couple of issues after that when we were in the area and their response was great. I would buy from them again. We have had several more things repaired including repainting the front cap at another Jayco dealer near our home. Outstanding service from the dealer and Jayco. It's all in the dealer. I called Jayco a few times on the road and their response was very good.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #16

I have only had a great experience with Jayco. My dealer that is another story but they have come around. Jayco is a great product and warranty service has been flawless. Get on your dealer that is were the problem lies.
Wife and tucker the fishing dog
starcraft69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:48 AM   #17

Some of the experiences in delayed service may be compounded by that time frame or time of year we need the repairs. If it's April, May, June and even July, everyone else is also trying feverishly to have their unit serviced. That next trip is the most important one. If the repairs you need are keeping you from being able to use your unit then yes, you must have it serviced but if the repairs needed are a "can live with" until the off season, then do so. Pick your battles with this very seasonal recreational activity. Also pick your dealer. From experience, I'm a firm believer that a Mom and Pop shop will give you much better service after the sale. From a purchase side, you generally with do better from a large regional or national chain. This has been my experience.
Camp on!
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually, 4X4, Demco HiJacker 21K Autoslide on RAM Puck, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4:10's, 51 Gallon Titan fuel tank, Superhitch 30K lb receiver, Jack Rabbit bed cover.
Wagon: 2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s, Solid Step, 1 ton mini split HVAC, Back up cam.
Tote: Custom built swivel wheel tote (one torsion axle w/dual tires) with a Rampage lift.
Drifter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote