Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #1

Question What is the best way to remove Dicor Sealant?

Just bought a case of Dicor Lap Sealant Self Leveling Sealant. I see alot of open cracks on the roof where some Dicor was installed. So I thought I would remove the Dicor and re-seal the roof areas that have it on the roof. What is the best way to remove Dicor Sealant?
hozerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #2

Depending on where it is, sharp putty knife. But, why are you removing it? I just apply over the old, no problems yet (done this on my camper for over 5 years).
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John LLRV View Post
Depending on where it is, sharp putty knife. But, why are you removing it? I just apply over the old, no problems yet (done this on my camper for over 5 years).
Because I just want to do a clean install. Just to make sure it is sealed. The person that had my 5er did that and and all you see all these cracks for the old dicor. Looks like hell. lol
Old 01-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hozerdude View Post
Just bought a case of Dicor Lap Sealant Self Leveling Sealant. I see alot of open cracks on the roof where some Dicor was installed. So I thought I would remove the Dicor and re-seal the roof areas that have it on the roof. What is the best way to remove Dicor Sealant?
Jayco used some sort of self-leveling sealant on my trailer, but it did not look like Dicor to me. It stayed slightly sticky and attracted dirt. Then non-deep surface level cracks opened in the Jayco applied sealant and I had white looking cracks in dirty brown sealant. What I did was to use Eternabond on those areas. Eternabond lasts a long time, is fairly easy to apply, and covers up Jayco's lousy sealant. Almost three years later, the Eternabond is still stuck and still looks good.

I felt that the Eternabond would fix the issue without having to remove the old crappy sealant. This would be a difficult job and in the case of mistakes with the putty knife could easliy slice up the roofing material.

To remove the sealant, I'd use a plastic scraper and a heat gun to soften the caulk. A heat gun is easily capable of melting almost any plastic or caulk or roofing material, so caution is advised. Even a plastic scraper can slice your roofing material. After scraping off as much as possible, I'd use naptha on a damp - not wet - rag to remove the excess. Naptha can loosen your roofing material, so just use a bit; it is also quite flammable. I recommend starting in a very small area, and see if the results are worth the effort.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #5

I have used a putty knife in the past, but like others have said, use extreme caution to avoid tearing the roofing material. To be safe, I usually just apply the Dicor right over the top of the old after cleaning the area well.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Or you could use eternabond instead, it works great and doesn't crack up like dicor.
teevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #7

Dicor video says clean gently with a rag and mineral spirits, let dry and apply right over the old.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #8

I used a putty knife, a bunch of rags and isoprophyl alcohol to remove the old sealant- As stated by others, great care must be taken to remove the old sealant- After the old sealant has been removed, I clean the area with the isoprophyl and let dry before applying the new sealant- If I must do this in the future, I hope to try Eternabond tape- JMHO- DD
Old 01-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #9

Quote:
If you take a small torch and heat up your putty knife before you scrape sealer it will take it off very easily
chris.nelson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.nelson12 View Post
If you take a small torch and heat up your putty knife before you scrape sealer it will take it off very easily
Not sure about a torch but I can Try a hair dryer and see what happends