Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #1

What is under the stairs of the 2012 Jayco Eagle Super light 31.4 RLTS?

Hi all,
I want to take out the two lower steps in our 2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5 RLTS. I would like to replace them with two treads and no riser allowing us to store our shoes underneath it.

Of course this would only work if that space is not already taken up with something else.
Do you know what is going on underneath and behind the stairs? Do you know where I can find out, are there any plans or sections of this camper available?
I'll need to cut the carpet and probably do some other irreversible things and I don't want to do it just to find out my idea wouldn't work.

I attached two photos that depict the steps I'm talking about.

Thank you,
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
13-07 RV Maumee Bay State Park (12)-01.jpg   20140115_161544.jpg  
mschuchert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:27 AM   #2

On our 2010 31.5, the back of the steps is accessible if you remove the back panel of the baggage compartment. I had ours apart to hardwire the converter, & noticed the steps. There might be a wire bundle running through there, don't actually remember, since I was more concerned with the street side of the compartment, which is where the converter is located. If you pull the screws that hold that panel in place it comes loose easily enough, then you have to deal with the wires to the compartment lights if you want the panel out completely. Otherwise, it should pull forward far enough to let you see what's back there.

Chuck
Old 01-26-2014, 07:22 AM   #3

I would concur with Chuck, easy to get a look behind via the storage compartment, likely only wires to worry about.

2016 F350 PSD
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
Site Team

If you go in thru the storage area you can see. Have a vacuum as you may find some construction debris. On my rig, I can access the top of the holding tanks, sensors and lots of plumbing. Take some pics for future reference.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #5

Chuck,
Thank you for your reply.

I looked at the luggage compartment a couple months ago as a possible access point toward the backside of the staircase but I ruled it out after seeing the light fixture and the video outlet thinking I would need to take them off first.
It sounds like I don't have to.

After your response I went over to where the RV is stored and gave it a second look. I took a photo while I was at the storage and I attach it here (just so).
I need the temperatures to go up to something civil and will try it within the next couple months.
Thanks again,
Martin
PS @norty1 - I hope to remember to take photos and hopefully it works out what I have in mind and I will remember to post the result here.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_6329-01.jpg  

2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5 RLTS
2012 F350 Diesel
Old 01-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #6

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
In mine I took out the crappy luan wall in our storage area and replaced it with 3/8 plywood with 2 large access panels. I then went into the area behind the stairs and installed the access port for our central vacuum in the riser of the middle step.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...o/IMG_0277.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...o/IMG_0279.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...o/IMG_0407.jpg

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #7

Steve in the 2nd photo there is quite the buildup of airduct, how is the air flow in your unit?
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
Steve in the 2nd photo there is quite the buildup of airduct, how is the air flow in your unit?
Yes it is a snake pit of heat ducts down there. I cut a couple of them shorter and the air flow to the living area sucks where the bedroom and bathroom are getting much more. Jayco did a really sloppy job of ducting and wiring in that area. They do a much better job on the eagle and pinnacles. The Super Lites are made in a different part of the campus and don't get the same attention to detail, at least mine didn't.

Since we live in California and don't spend any time camping in really cold climates I have given thought of blocking off the ducting that goes to the underbelly in hopes more heat will go into the living area.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Old 02-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #9

Steve,
thank you for your response and for the photos you uploaded.

It looks like you really crawled in there and got behind the stairs. (And did some pretty advanced things. At least from my vantage point.)
Do you think that my idea of taking out the first couple steps or only the first step to make space for shoes would work?
I attached a couple of renderings from a CAD program that show what I have in mind.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

===========
With regards to some of the other things you mentioned:

We did some cold weather camping with temperatures getting down into the upper twenties and were pretty happy with the heating diverting some warmth to the underbelly. We had no problems with freezing pipes and it was warm inside. But I don't plan to do it again and hope to stay where temps are way above the freezing point. And we did burn an entire propane cylinder in less than 10 days.

You wrote "Super Lites ...don't get the same attention to detail, at least mine didn't."
I don't think that mine did either and I got that impression from some badly or hastily installed detailing.
I put that comment here in case someone is reading this to find out more about the Super Lites.
But for that reason I should also add: So far I'm pretty happy with it and all the main parts have been holding up fine (except for our microwave - but I might make that a different thread).

Thanks,
Martin

2012 F350 Diesel
Old 02-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschuchert View Post
Steve,
thank you for your response and for the photos you uploaded.

It looks like you really crawled in there and got behind the stairs. (And did some pretty advanced things. At least from my vantage point.)
Do you think that my idea of taking out the first couple steps or only the first step to make space for shoes would work?
I attached a couple of renderings from a CAD program that show what I have in mind.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

===========
With regards to some of the other things you mentioned:

We did some cold weather camping with temperatures getting down into the upper twenties and were pretty happy with the heating diverting some warmth to the underbelly. We had no problems with freezing pipes and it was warm inside. But I don't plan to do it again and hope to stay where temps are way above the freezing point. And we did burn an entire propane cylinder in less than 10 days.

You wrote "Super Lites ...don't get the same attention to detail, at least mine didn't."
I don't think that mine did either and I got that impression from some badly or hastily installed detailing.
I put that comment here in case someone is reading this to find out more about the Super Lites.
But for that reason I should also add: So far I'm pretty happy with it and all the main parts have been holding up fine (except for our microwave - but I might make that a different thread).

Thanks,
Martin
Martin, we are also happy with our unit over all. It's just that lately it seems that it is one irritating little thing after another. Believe me when I say that there was nothing "advanced" about what I did. When it comes to doing "handyman" type of things I'm a hack and a so-so hack at that. Your renderings are interesting, I have seen some units that use the space under steps for drawer space and even some with drop down doors on them. I would suggest that you do an exploratory by removing the luan wall in the basement. There is plywood at the back of the stairs that blocks access to that area that you would need to remove or cut a hole in. That area on our unit is just a void with nothing inside.

One more thing regarding the issues we have had with our trailer....... Jayco is an awesome company to deal with on warranty issues, they stepped up to the plate each and every time we had a problem and took care of everything. The servicing dealer (not the selling dealer) was another story. Big fancy shop and showroom and lots of inventory but the personnel in the shop are all boneheads.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Old 02-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #11

Steve, not to battle with you over the title "so-so hack" (I think its mine) but I just looked at your photos again and thought if that is a hack job than you're an awesome photographer.
While I was looking at them I was wondering about the red button thingy in your photos. It looks important and impressive. Is that part of the vacuum system, or is that some safety feature that I should have? (Please see photo below)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0277.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	11155

===========
As for my stair project:
I will remove the luan wall and check behind the stairs. I thought I could get around it but from what Chuck wrote it sounds easy enough to do.
I was glad to read the area in your unit is a void - so I hope it'll be same for me.

I like the drop down stair idea for neatness. I had a similar thought: I wanted to make the treads lift up which might suit me better for easy access from above.
But I decided to keep it simple and just create a slide in space (and maybe I still hinge the tread for easy cleaning etc..).

BTW I only did the rendering because I put some cat ramps and ladders elsewhere and it was difficult to figure out but easy enough with a CAD program.

Thanks again for your reply,
Martin

2012 F350 Diesel
Old 02-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschuchert View Post
Steve, not to battle with you over the title "so-so hack" (I think its mine) but I just looked at your photos again and thought if that is a hack job than you're an awesome photographer.
While I was looking at them I was wondering about the red button thingy in your photos. It looks important and impressive. Is that part of the vacuum system, or is that some safety feature that I should
easy enough to do.

That red thingy is a battery cutoff switch. I cut power from the batteries when not using the trailer and not plugged into shore power.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Old 02-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #13

Great Idea ! (and CAD rendering). I would consider some sort of support under the tread. Since you are removing the riser, there is nothing to carry the weight on the front of the treads. I would guess the material of the tread is not sufficient to carry the weight. I would consider using either small cylindrical posts or run a couple 3/4" thick pieces of lumber perpendicular to the tread. You should still have enough room for shoes. (You probably already have a solution for this)
gudde1251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudde1251 View Post
Great Idea ! (and CAD rendering). I would consider some sort of support under the tread. Since you are removing the riser, there is nothing to carry the weight on the front of the treads. I would guess the material of the tread is not sufficient to carry the weight. I would consider using either small cylindrical posts or run a couple 3/4" thick pieces of lumber perpendicular to the tread. You should still have enough room for shoes. (You probably already have a solution for this)

A piece of angle iron may work too. But I would agree you may need some additional support unless you use something as thick as 1.5”

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #15

@gudde1251 and Jagiven

Thanks for your reply!

As for support, all I want to put under the tread is a wood board (riser) about 3/4" thick that runs the depth of the tread along the sides of the stairs (see rendering below). Those riser boards would basically hold the tread. I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to do it, but I could imagine to simply velcro the tread on the riser boards, for easy cleaning.

I also thought that a 3/4 inch thick tread would suffice as it only spans 26".

Name:	14-01-27 RV projects-07.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	11665

BTW the reason for my putting the RV into CAD is not the steps, they are simple enough, but the cat ladder in the rear. It was a headache to figure out and it will be a big help for me to cut the pieces now even while the RV is still in storage. Here's a progress shot of the cat ladder. (I hope the cats get it)

Name:	14-01-27 RV projects-08.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	11666

The cats can walk above our heads along the top trim of the slides. Here's a photo how it looks like while still under construction (no finish, no carpet clad) (see yellow arrows).

Name:	14-01 RVtrvl OH-FL (380).JPG
Views:	13
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	11667

They can also use the cat ladder that I'll put up above the stairs as shown on the next rendering. I had a ramp there, but the ramp was spanning in front of the hallway window; I didn't like that.

Name:	14-01-27 RV projects-09.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	11668

(We got rid of our swivel chairs. The cats would have shredded them, and I hated the extra weight)

(Isn't it weird what people do to their RVs?)

Martin

2012 F350 Diesel