Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2016, 05:41 AM   #41
Site Team
I'm retired and in no hurry to get there. If you are, just pass me and I'll see you at the fuel station.

2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:46 AM   #42
On my last TV I would set the CC at 62/63. I have yet to pull on the open highway with this TV so I will need to see where it's most comfortable. Not over 65 though unless I need to pass someone safely for a brief minute.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:49 AM   #43
I keep it around 55 on the open parts of the road, up the hills, I am lucky to get up to 45
Long hills, I am in no rush to get any where.
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:05 PM   #44
Thanks for the thread guys. Been telling the DW that I need to get into the habit of keeping my speed down. I have a tendency to be in a rush and push my speed. I'm type "A" and "need" to get where I'm going. Then I'm exhausted and stressed....on vacation no less. Got rear ended doing 70 on I84 in Oregon last summer and it scared the crap outa both of us. No serious damage but it threw us around in the cab of the truck.
My new goal is to stay around 60....seems to be my relaxed speed.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:07 AM   #45
If you got rear ended going 70 mph the problem isn't your speed it's the distracted idiot behind you. Not much anyone could do to prevent that from happening to you. Hard to be defensive for a motorist on an Interstate who is behind you.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #46
Right....but maintaining control at higher speeds is more difficult especially when towing.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:50 AM   #47
I've learned that the slower I go (within reason), the more interesting and enjoyable the drive becomes. I can soak up the scenery while driving a lot easier when I'm slow-poking along.

Plus, I believe that higher speeds cause more wear and tear on both the TV and the TT, and I need my home and transportation to last for a long time.
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:39 AM   #48
This has been a very interesting thread - only because I'm amazed at how many people say they only drive 60 - 65. My experience here in Georgia is that RV's (mostly Snowbirds driving huge motorhomes or towing 40+ ft TT/FW's on their way to/from Florida) go by me like I'm standing still. So either this group is really responsible - OR we're all saying what we know we should be doing :-). (Don't anybody flame me - it's joke OK).

I had a similar experience to HouseofHarview - was towing through Texas, 100+ degrees, on the way home and running late (had to get home to go to work Monday). Was doing 70+ and over several hours blew 2 tires. I mean BLEW them, tore up the wheel well good. Changed the first one myself because I didn't want to wait on the truck - but didn't have a spare for the second - so GoodSam road service took care of it because I was out of spares. Needless to say we didn't get back to Atlanta till about 3am on Sunday.

For the last 12 years I've towed a 30ft Sunline TT with a Ford Explorer. The Explorer was equipped for the weight but it was REALLY boarderline and the V8 was really working. I eventually traded that Explorer after I destroyed the second transmission.
So, although it was a very comfortable tow stability wise - I usually just let the rig set the speed. If it sounded like the engine was laboring or dropped into 3rd, I'd back off. That usually meant 65 if it was flat and as slow as 40 on hills. Using the Cruise Control was impossible because it would over-rev the engine in a heartbeat.

Now I have a new F150, and a new Eagle HT 26.5 FW. I've only towed it once and I realized I was up to 80 all too easily and without even noticing. I need to tow some more to see what's comfortable but like the rest of you - I'm very happy with 65 unless there is some pressing need to push it for a short time like merging into traffic, etc.
Buddy Ray - Atlanta
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #49
Glad that BigJohnD mentioned upgrading tires. My rig's top speed is limited by tires (common sense is always first) so nothing over 75. Sweet spot (max MPG and reliability) on Cummins ISB is a tad above max torque so 1700 or so RPM. I think that puts me at 64 MPHish. What I really run at depends on how many miles I have to make.

Running even a little faster than traffic is a PITA because it takes some effort to pull back into right lane.

2015 Jayco Seneca 36 FK
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited tow
2010 Tiffin RED 36 QSA - gone
2011 Monaco Monarch class A - gone
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:51 PM   #50
Left lane all the way! 75 with the cruise and it wont back down for many hills. Be careful while driving on a pedal or this truck will jump to 80. My truck will put you to sleep at 64mph.

2015 F350 4wd 6.7 Powerstroke, Firestone Airride
CM custom hauler bed
2016 Northpoint 377RLBH
Redbird7 is offline   Reply With Quote