Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #1

What's the preferred satellite setup?

I want to purchase an automatic DirecTV dish for my 5er. I also want to continue to use the original winged Winegard unit (if access to DirecTV is not available). What specific Winegard model do I need and what is the preferred setup? Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Rear View Safety Camera
Winegard Trav'ler DirectTV HD Model:SK-SWM3
Steadyfast Stabilizing System
Progressive Industries 50 AMP EMS
boyzx3iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #2

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
I have the portable Winegard sat antenna and it works good but with direct TV we get only standard deff. The same antenna on Dish is capable of Hi Deff. For us the only way to watch both from the trailer antenna and the sat dish is to change the coax connections in the bedroom where the TV service enters the trailer. This setup is time consuming and clunky in my opinion. There needs to be a better way but I have not figured that out yet.d

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #3

Would it solve the problem if the cables for the satellite and the roof antenna were separate? If so, maybe just install a separate exterior connection to attach the satellite cable to and then run a separate cable from that exterior input to the satellite box. I've done this, and it is not difficult at all. Just fully verify how you can most easily route the cable from the exterior input to the satellite box and where a good place is for the exterior input to be attached to the outside of your trailer. In my case, it was easy to attach the exterior input on the wall of the front basement and also the cable was fairly easy to route from there to the satellite box. By running the cable yourself, you can insure that you don't have any splitters in the line and that you use good compression connectors (which are preferred for satellite reception).
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #4

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Would it solve the problem if the cables for the satellite and the roof antenna were separate? If so, maybe just install a separate exterior connection to attach the satellite cable to and then run a separate cable from that exterior input to the satellite box. I've done this, and it is not difficult at all. Just fully verify how you can most easily route the cable from the exterior input to the satellite box and where a good place is for the exterior input to be attached to the outside of your trailer. In my case, it was easy to attach the exterior input on the wall of the front basement and also the cable was fairly easy to route from there to the satellite box. By running the cable yourself, you can insure that you don't have any splitters in the line and that you use good compression connectors (which are preferred for satellite reception).

First to the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread. I suppose I could do that, I just need to work up the "stones" to cut a hole in the sidewall of my trailer, but after our trip to San Diego in a couple of weeks I may look into doing that.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote