Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #1

Question Where is water heater bypass Valve

Where is the water heater bypass valve on a 2007 Jatyco 31FLTS Designer? I cannot get behind the water heater without removing it. There is no valve when I open the outside access door to the water heater. The Jayco owners manual says that the valve is behind the water heater. The OEM water heater manual shows a valve put does not say where it is located. I want to sanitize my fresh water tank and the lines. The manual recommends bypassing the water heater when putting RV anti freeze in the system when winterizing. There are valves in the storage compartment to winterize the system, sanitize the tank, sanitize the lines, fill the tank, Normal, and use city water. does those valves let you bypass the water heater? They are a ways from the water heater.
TIA
Mel
https://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #2

It should be on the back side of the water heater. You cannot access it from the door on the outside of the trailer. The reason you don't put antifreeze into the tank is that it will take a minimum of 5 extra gallons, more if the tank is larger.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #3

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
It should be on the back side of the water heater. You cannot access it from the door on the outside of the trailer. The reason you don't put antifreeze into the tank is that it will take a minimum of 5 extra gallons, more if the tank is larger.
there is no way to get to the backside of the water heater without pulling it out from what I can see. No way to get to the back of it from inside of the fiver. it may be that the valve in the storage compartment will let me bypass it. I need to hear from someone who has a designer like mine. There is a panel inside of the storage compartment that has 5 or six valves on it for the fresh water tank, city water hookup, normal, sanitize tank, and one other the position of the valves determines what you can do with freshwater system. Nothing about bypassing water heater. The manual shows valve on back of water heater, but that can't be right as there is no access to the back of water heater that I can find. my water heater is 10 gal.
Mel
Old 03-17-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
Site Team

Where is the HWT located inside the trailer? In other words, what's it hidden behind and/or beneath, and where is it- kitchen/bathroom... someplace else? This information would be helpful. If another member has his HWT in a similar location, he could post a possible solution to your dilemma. For example:

If there's a closet or storage cabinet located above your HWT, its floor is might be removable, thus exposing the bypass valves.

To be most effective, the HWT bypass valves should be as close to the water inlet/outlet of the HWT as possible. On my unit, the valves are only inches away.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #5

Mark in your mind where the water heater is.. then go inside the rig and open the door near the floor at that same location and you should see the bypass pipes...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Mark in your mind where the water heater is.. then go inside the rig and open the door near the floor at that same location and you should see the bypass pipes...
OK here is what I have figured out. The water heater is located below the shower and to the right of the storage compartment. Just Inside the storage compartment below the bedroom and shower, there is a potable water manifold with 5 valves on it. it is within 1 ft of the back of the water heater. there is a diagram on the manifold that shows the positions of the valves for filling the fresh water tank, City Tank Fill (fill tank hooked to city water), Normal (using water from tank), Sanitize Tank (sanitize the tank only and can be used to fill tank from external source), Sanitize and antifreeze Lines (I think this must be the one that will bypass the water heater) The position of the valves determines how the water is routed. There is a pump switch with lite on it next to the manifold so that you can use the pump to insert antifreeze or water from a external source by hooking a hose to the city water inlet and using a bucket to suck the solution or antifreeze from. I hope that I am right.
Mel
Old 03-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #7

That aint it. My water heater bypass is on the same panel. 3 extra valves just below the ones you discussed.
Adopt a shelter pet!

2009 Jayco Designer 37RLQS
2011 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Dually
20K Curt Q5 hitch
av8arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #8

Mel,

Look inside the storage area at the bottom where the water controls are located and see if there is an access panel with 2 crews in it that will allow you access to the rear of the water heater. I have an 08 31RLTS and can verify when I get home today, But I think mine is made like that..

Tommy
tmb4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmb4971 View Post
Mel,

Look inside the storage area at the bottom where the water controls are located and see if there is an access panel with 2 crews in it that will allow you access to the rear of the water heater. I have an 08 31RLTS and can verify when I get home today, But I think mine is made like that..

Tommy
Thank you tommy I will look for it there. Could you verify for sure when you get home?
Thanks Mel

av8arkie
Quote:
That aint it. My water heater bypass is on the same panel. 3 extra valves just below the ones you discussed.
I do not have anymore valves on the manifold panel.
Mel
Old 03-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #10

I can hardly wait to hear the outcome to this. I have a rear kitchen and my bypass valve is under the sink. I'm sure there is access somewhere. Jayco wouldn't install a water heater without a bypass, and they definetly wouldn't install it without access.
Good luck.
Myles6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #11

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmb4971 View Post
Mel,

Tommy
Thanks again Tommy that is where it was. I had so much stuff in there that the access panel was covered up it is only 5 x 7 inches in size and at the very bottom below the manifold panel. Thanks everyone for your help problem solved.
Mel
Old 03-17-2011, 10:08 PM   #12

That is the nice thing about this site. There are enough people with various models that most problems can be resolved.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #13

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
That is the nice thing about this site. There are enough people with various models that most problems can be resolved.
Yes everyone in the Forum has been really helpful in solving some of my problems. A big thankyou to all.
Mel
Old 02-25-2018, 05:54 AM   #14

2018 SLX 245 RLS the water heater bypass vales are behind a panel below the fridge. Ya know one of the panels that are held on by screws, the ones that the owners manual says you don't need to access.

Take the screws out move the panel and sure enough there they are ... behind the water heater!

Take Care, and be careful out there, Len
oldmanlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #15

Just wanting to point out that this thread is seven years old. He may not even have that RV anymore and certainly must have found the access point during one of those seven winters.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote