Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #1

Why are lights on the same switch

Front cap LED lights coming on at the same time as the LED strip under the awning? Those front cap LED lights throw quite a bit of light that isn't really directed. The awning lights stay near your trailer "area" so that makes sense. You are not bothering your neighbors. If there is a good reason why they are on at the same time then please tell me so I will relax about it a little bit. Thanks

Ken
Old 12-02-2015, 05:48 PM   #2

My North point has separate switch's for the cap lights that are located by the pinbox. I can't turn mine on or off with anything but those switch's
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:17 PM   #3

My pinnacle is the same way as yours. Only one switch. Kind of strange.
Tim&paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #4

Our Pinnacle is on the same awning light swtch, too. Normally, thru the camping season here in northern Indiana, we have the unit setting on a leased seasonal camp site. It does light up the front lawn at night and, we have gotten a lot of compliments from passers-by as we are setting next to the camp fire.

Besides, I think it looks kinda' cool.
dalengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #5

Our Eagle Premier lights up with one switch. There are times I'd like to isolate the front cap lights to be a little less flashy.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoojs12840 View Post
My North point has separate switch's for the cap lights that are located by the pinbox. I can't turn mine on or off with anything but those switch's
Separate switch would be good.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalengail View Post
Our Pinnacle is on the same awning light swtch, too. Normally, thru the camping season here in northern Indiana, we have the unit setting on a leased seasonal camp site. It does light up the front lawn at night and, we have gotten a lot of compliments from passers-by as we are setting next to the camp fire.

Besides, I think it looks kinda' cool.
It looks way cool no doubt.

Just seems like you should be able to turn it off and still leave the awning strip on.

It just doesn't make sense to me that both sides (front and side) would have to light up at the same time.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:24 AM   #8

Jayco saved $2.95 per unit!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:04 AM   #9

My NorthPoint is on two seperate switches too.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:08 AM   #10

Have a 38FLSA, same here, front cap and awning lights on at same time... there is a cover between the top of the stairs and the slide where the awning wiring comes in.. the wire going to the front cap led is behind that cover, it's carpeted with a single screw holding it to the wall.. initially I just cut the wire to prevent the front cap from coming on, I have now pulled that wire and re-routed it to the switch panel, conveniently there is a labeled blank for a light switch... I used a lighted switch (to remind me if I left cap lights on), one side of the switch is the cap light wire the other side is tapped to one of the 12v positive wires behind the panel..
Old 12-03-2015, 07:10 AM   #11

My new pinnacle has two switches for the two front cap lights one for lower one for the two top led strips. Two switches inside one for each awning led strip. Did notice if I turn on the front awning LEDs with the remote u cannot turn it off with switch must use remote. Might be rear awning cannot remember but took me a while to figure it out
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgood View Post
Have a 38FLSA, same here, front cap and awning lights on at same time... there is a cover between the top of the stairs and the slide where the awning wiring comes in.. the wire going to the front cap led is behind that cover, it's carpeted with a single screw holding it to the wall.. initially I just cut the wire to prevent the front cap from coming on, I have now pulled that wire and re-routed it to the switch panel, conveniently there is a labeled blank for a light switch... I used a lighted switch (to remind me if I left cap lights on), one side of the switch is the cap light wire the other side is tapped to one of the 12v positive wires behind the panel..
Does anyone know where the wire is located on the 36FBTS that is referenced above?
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
Does anyone know where the wire is located on the 36FBTS that is referenced above?
Look at the outside and see where the awning light wires come through the wall into the trailer, they are black and red and about 18 guage, the point they pass through should be behind the awning bracket, on the inside at that location should be where the wires are... if I remember correctly the front cap led wire was orange (I will verify color next time at trailer) and was crimped to the red awning wire, from there the wire went through the floor and into one of the wiring looms...
Old 12-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #14

On our FBTS the only wires coming in from behind the awning bracket are the power wire for the awning motor and one set for the awning light. I have been unsuccessful so far in finding the wire for the front cap lights. Our unit is the first 2016 the dealer had in and shortly after all the ones coming in have the separate switch. When I complained they told me they would install a switch if I paid for labor and materials! They said it was a Jayco "line" change and wouldn't install it for free.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Look at the outside and see where the awning light wires come through the wall into the trailer, they are black and red and about 18 guage, the point they pass through should be behind the awning bracket, on the inside at that location should be where the wires are... if I remember correctly the front cap led wire was orange (I will verify color next time at trailer) and was crimped to the red awning wire, from there the wire went through the floor and into one of the wiring looms...
Thanks, I'll check it out next time I'm at that coach.
Sounds like a good challenge, lol
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #16

Quote:
This project added to the "to do list"
Old 12-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJayco View Post
Front cap LED lights coming on at the same time as the LED strip under the awning? ... If there is a good reason why they are on at the same time then please tell me so I will relax about it a little bit. Thanks
Ken
Ken,

Our trailer is the same way - 1 switch that turns on the step light, awning LEDs, & front cap LEDs.
Jayco explained the reasoning for this due to these lights are also controlled by our remote control.
If your able to turn your awning LEDs and front cap LEDs on & off via a remote control (along with the switch), this may explain why they are on the same switch.

You may want to look at this post: Eagle Premier Step/Awning Light Separation if you're considering separating them onto individual switches.

Hope this helps some.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #18

On my remote there are 2 light buttons. One for the front awing and one for the rear awning. The rear awning light has 2 available settings. Not sure why they didn't separate them that way. Some of the people like our lights on all night as it gives some security lighting. Others want them OFF!!

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC-REQS View Post
Ken,

Our trailer is the same way - 1 switch that turns on the step light, awning LEDs, & front cap LEDs.
Jayco explained the reasoning for this due to these lights are also controlled by our remote control.
If your able to turn your awning LEDs and front cap LEDs on & off via a remote control (along with the switch), this may explain why they are on the same switch.

You may want to look at this post: Eagle Premier Step/Awning Light Separation if you're considering separating them onto individual switches.

Hope this helps some.
Thanks for the link

Ken