Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #1

Wifi Ranger Installation Ideas

Hello! I have a 2017 BHDS 29.5 and was thinking about installing a wifi booster on the roof. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/tips on how to make the installation process easier? Has anyone installed this before? Any location suggestions? Like easiest place to run the cabling or tap into an existing hole or something?

Thanks!
datx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #2

I have an EnGenius that has a pole-mount back. I use Velcro straps to secure it to the flag pole. I run cat-5 under the seals on the bottom corner of one of the slides. Not a permanent install but pretty simple to set up.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:20 AM   #3

I find them a waste of time. The choke point for most CG wifi is not the transceiver, it is the volume of traffic. These days everyone wants to stream video and a single cable to the campground is just not enough.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:51 AM   #4
Site Team

I mounted my Wi-Fi extender along with my Cell phone signal extender on a home-made 1" PVC pipe that slides up and down inside a 1.5" PVC pipe mounted on the rear ladder. I drilled a hole through both (while extended) and put a bolt/wing-nut through both to keep it in the up position. When we travel I lower the inter PVC (remove the bolt and slide the 1" PVC down). When I get to the next CG I would get on the ladder slide up the inter PVC and put the bolt back through.

I opted for the DIRECTIONAL antenna as we only use the Cellular booster while in the CG and it gives the best signal when aimed directly at the cell tower, which is 4+ miles away and we are in a valley surrounded by 4k high mountains (based on cell site location website).

I added a picture below, but it was taken while I was installing the Cellular Signal booster and the Wi-Fi signal booster was installed a few minutes later.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
CELLULAR - Antena on TT.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:11 AM   #5

A cell phone booster can be worth it, depending on where you camp. We do all of our TV and internet over the cells. Two phones and a MiFi. So far all I've needed is the external antenna on the MiFi to get an extra bar or two on the unit. Even with only one bar of 4G service we can stream a movie with little interruption.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:35 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
I find them a waste of time. The choke point for most CG wifi is not the transceiver, it is the volume of traffic. These days everyone wants to stream video and a single cable to the campground is just not enough.
What I have found is that in a majority of CG's that WE have been to, the Wi-Fi extender did a GREAT job. I can only remember a few CG's where it did not have GREAT results and that was due to old technology AP's and a poor basic data package provided by the ISP. On holiday weekends, I do not even attempt to use the internet for much more than download my email and maybe a restaurant location/review. DW is totally happy with it and we would not leave home without it. Below is a screen print of the current connection with the AP that is about 150 Yards away, how can I complain.

As for the type of Wi-Fi extenders that I recommend, are ONLY the ones with the external antennas (commercial grade), as USB models can only work with a reduced/poor signals within the TT.

Just my personal experience with Wi-Fi extenders at CG's. I use my old one in the house for the dead spots, outside use and sensor connections.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
Wi-Fi Signal Strength.jpg  
Old 08-04-2017, 08:49 AM   #7
M&A

The speed of the connection negotiated with an AP, while important, is not the speed out to the internet.

Our last campground (deep in woods and not near any towns) had individual Hughes satellite dishes connected to APs at various points in the campground. Our closest AP was on a dish heavenly obscured by trees and foliage. Despite a strong 5 GHz signal there was no internet to speak of behind it. What the outdoor setup did for us was allow a connection to the office AP way out front that had practically no other users.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
Site Team

Up until last week we averaged 25+mbps internet speed (CG was pretty empty). Over 4th of July week end it was under 1mbps as the CG was full of RV's and all their data toys. The owner got the network administrator to restrict the max data mbps to 5mbps per connection, so that is the standard here. What can you do with 5mbps, well I have my live stock program running (continuous live stock updates), and have a movie running from home (VPN), while writing this and surfing the net.

Restricting data was first on their list... blocking video streaming is next to come and the list goes on.

Some of the CG's we went to out west only allowed 1 device per camp site, you had to log in and register with you site key.

It will become interesting in the future to see how the CG's handle data.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 08-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #9

Glad you guys have good luck with them. In the past 5 years I have seen CG WiFi go from really nice to horrible in almost every site we've been in, even when next to their WiFi transceiver. That's why we went to cell service.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I have an EnGenius that has a pole-mount back. I use Velcro straps to secure it to the flag pole. I run cat-5 under the seals on the bottom corner of one of the slides. Not a permanent install but pretty simple to set up.
Hate to bump an old thread but what model do you have and what antenna do you use?
Also, does your unit have high gain on it?
jchiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:28 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiar View Post
Hate to bump an old thread but what model do you have and what antenna do you use?
You can go to the Advanced settings and make those adjustments. If you want the most distance, you can adjust the signal strength to max and lower your data rate a little and that will increase your distance even more. As mentioned earlier, the best I did was 1.5 Miles (line of site) streaming video (Tampa Bay baseball game from my home SlingBox, connected to a HomeDepot Wi-Fi). Opt for a unit that has an external mounted antenna, the interior ones are not that great.

Also, the CG data plan is probably the biggest issue. Some of the CG's have a basic 20Mbps service and with a lot of campers, it will give you a GREAT signal, but the speed will be lacking. As others have mentioned, you can sometimes connect to the Office Wi-Fi that not many people use.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #12
Site Team

Sorry, I just read your post again and see I skipped a part in the answer. I use a EnGenius ENS202EXT. It has twin antennas on the unit. The unit is mounted outside (mine is on a 1.5" PVC pipe that extends about 4' above the TT for the signal to clear the neighboring TT's. I believe RedHorse1 has the same unit. This unit sells for about $80 on Amazon and is fully programmable to meet your requirements. They also have a great support line if you need assistance.

I do not recommend the ENS202 model (without the included antennas) as it will cost you more for the antenna and antenna cable.

ENS202EXT Link, scroll down and select the user document

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 11-04-2017, 12:21 PM   #13

Thanks for that info. I’m guessing they are Omni directional. I spent most days at work with WiFi and RF, so I have a good background in WiFi. I’ll take at look at your unit..
jchiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post

Some of the CG's we went to out west only allowed 1 device per camp site, you had to log in and register with you site key.

It will become interesting in the future to see how the CG's handle data.

[/URL]
We have found this too... we solved it by using a Mikrotik SXT to connect to the CG-WiFi. We mount it on the drivers side mirror with a 1" PVC pole so the directional sector points to the campground source - over our motorhome. From that, we have our own Firewall/AP inside our Seneca that serves Wired and wireless to our two work docking stations and our mobile phones.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:53 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
We have found this too... we solved it by using a Mikrotik SXT to connect to the CG-WiFi. We mount it on the drivers side mirror with a 1" PVC pole so the directional sector points to the campground source - over our motorhome. From that, we have our own Firewall/AP inside our Seneca that serves Wired and wireless to our two work docking stations and our mobile phones.
You can do the same with the EnGenius or other units. The Wi-Fi router inside the RV (like the home Wi-Fi router) connects to the Wi-Fi Bridge unit and all your wireless devices will work. I have not seen any of the CG's that use the unit that monitors the packet for the specific device code, but they have them.. just a matter of time.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 11-04-2017, 10:53 PM   #16

Quote:
You can do the same with the EnGenius or other units. The Wi-Fi router inside the RV (like the home Wi-Fi router) connects to the Wi-Fi Bridge unit and all your wireless devices will work. I have not seen any of the CG's that use the unit that monitors the packet for the specific device code, but they have them.. just a matter of time.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
On our way back from Texas last year... we found a KOA that required you to connect to an open network - and they authenticated the user with a default page (like most Hospital's and large Hotel's are doing. they register the connection via your MAC address and don't allow mulitple connections from different MAC addresses on your authentication PWD. We tried to connect our other devices with that same account - it threw messages that there were only one connection allowed per account. We ended up using our LTE connectons for the night - and rolled out the next morning as we were rolling hard.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:14 AM   #17

The weBoost Cell Signal Booster, coupled with an AT&T Mobley mobile hotspot - unlimited data for $20/month - works great for us. We can move the weBoost in the car when traveling and the Mobley plugs into the OBD2 port in my TV for power. We got a USB adaptor for the Mobley to use it in the Jay Feather. We even use the setup to stream Netflix and Hulu.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:38 AM   #18

Quote:

I opted for the DIRECTIONAL antenna as we only use the Cellular booster while in the CG and it gives the best signal when aimed directly at the cell tower, which is 4+ miles away and we are in a valley surrounded by 4k high mountains (based on cell site location website).
Don - What is the model number for your directional antenna... I assume it has a CAT5 or CAT6 cable feeding it and how is it powered up. Some come with a PoE box where you can plug that into 120VAC near the router.

I need to make a WIRELESS POINT in my back yard here about 200 feet away and have been looking at the THINKMART AC600 Outdoor Access Point (VERIZON) but the remarks are good and bad... This uses two omni antennas for 2.4 and 5 GB paths. I want to plug this dual antenna into my ASUS ROUTER in the house and perhaps keep the outside antenna in the attic here. Running it outside I have to drill a hole through the brick wall which means I have to cut one end off of the CAT6 weatherproof cable to fish through the wall bushing... Not interested in anything here except my backyard where I park my OFF-ROAD Camper. I sit out there alot under my favorite tree and poke a firepit all the time... Got a new RCA 2N1 tablet for my birthday in OCT that has a 11.6-Inch Screen... Downstreaming WX and News and watching some live HDTV NCIS channels from my local METROCAST cable provider via their Internet Channel connections.

Thinkmart High Powered AC600 Access point repeater $79 AMAZON

Google Image

I already have an External Access point in a window here just outside the patio but its signal is not strong enough next to the woods. It is fed Wireless from my router and really slowed down for downstreaming... I think I need to run a CAT 6 cable to that unit as well to get my speed back up.

Just needing some help picking the right thing. Got to keep budget in mind here for my toys...

ADDED NOTE: After re-reading things here i see the EXTERNAL DIRECTION ANTENNA you show in the photo has nothing to do with the WIFI SETUP. SO now I am back to which unit to use now the AC600 I show in my photo or the 2.4 unit unit you have running lower power. They both the same AMAZON cost. I don't think I have anything here that is using the 5GB channel on my ASUS router. SO maybe I should go for the dual antenna 2.4GB channel model like yours... ?? Why would I need a BRIDGE using your unit. I will plug the CAT 6 cable into my house ASUS Ethernet port...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiar View Post
Just saw your question. Like Mustang said, it’s an ENS202EXT.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote