Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #1

Will I have issues with 1T TV and HT fifth?

My 2014 Ram 3500 Megacab came in yesterday, so now I need to decide on the rig behind it. The Eagle HT 29.5BHDS fits the bill perfectly for us (length, double queen beds in back) and price is good, but I am concerned about getting the thing to ride level with my truck. I "think" I can only get 15 inch wheels on the Eagle HT...these new 3500's sit up a good bit too.

Do you think I would have "too much" truck for the HT fifth? Pin weight is only maybe 2000lbs (GVWR of 10k). My payload sticker shows 4034 on the door The combination of not a lot of pin weight to settle the truck down, and the smaller tires is what has me concerned. What do you all think??
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #2

If the height is an issue, why not lift the FW?
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #3

axles are already flipped I think...not real keen on having someone take a welder to a brand new fifth to add a subframe or something...if that is the case I just as well look at a bigger, heavier fifth...unless there is another easier way to do it (if necessary)
Old 05-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #4

Oh I see....
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #5

I pulled my HT for two years with it sitting high in the front. The two problems I experienced in doing this were 1) I had to unhook if I pulled in for the night and 2) I lost a lot of water out of my fresh water tank. Otherwise it seemed to pull and handle OK. It's not any ideal situation and it seems to be a fairly common problem with the HTs.
2013 Jayco Premier 321 RLTS w/Atwood Levelegs (now removed)
ckdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #6

Does the ht series come with 15 or 16 inch wheels?
Old 05-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #7

15 inch wheels lower your truck
mike449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike449 View Post
15 inch wheels lower your truck
ok thanks. Lowering a brand new truck just to tow a camper isnt going to happen. Looks like I will look at heavier (16 inch wheels) rigs. Thanks for the clarification on wheel size. For some reason I thought 16 inch wheels were an option, but I dont see it listed anywhere except on the eagle line.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #9

Mine has 15" rims.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #10

the reason I mentioned lowering the truck is that dodge seems to think that you need a foot of clearance between wheels and fender making the truck so tall that you need a step ladder(haha) to get in it sorry about the first post it wasn't meant to be sarcastic good luck with what ever trailer you choose
mike449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike449 View Post
the reason I mentioned lowering the truck is that dodge seems to think that you need a foot of clearance between wheels and fender making the truck so tall that you need a step ladder(haha) to get in it sorry about the first post it wasn't meant to be sarcastic good luck with what ever trailer you choose
Lol no worries. I know what u mean on the wheel clearance. My 20 inch wheels look small!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #12

Mine sits a touch high in the front, but don't believe I'm too concerned about it. A 285/16 would lift your trailer about 2.25". You might look and see if there is room to put 16's under an HT and lift it that way. Since it comes with Towmax tires on it, you would probably be wanting to replace them anyway. The HT would be better suited for hooking your atv trailer behind it. You can buy it with the hitch as an option, and you are ready to go.
On the other hand, you could just let the air out of your truck tires...

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #13

Unfortunately I can't double tow in Virginia or west va, so would have to have riding buddies tow the atv's. But the camper is more for the family as the boys aren't old enough for hatfield McCoy yet.

I am going to jayco dealer wed to back the new truck under a jayco ht fifth to see what we have and things will look. I am a bit surprised how high the new truck sits. It is at least 3 inches taller at the top of the cab than my 2013 ram 1500
Old 05-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #14

Oh, I see. So now you have to buy a new RV and move out west.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
Oh, I see. So now you have to buy a new RV and move out west.
As much as I hate to say it, if I did that I would likely get a big toy hauler and a rzr 1k and forego the 850xp.....they look like they r made for the open spaces!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
My 2014 Ram 3500 Megacab came in yesterday, so now I need to decide on the rig behind it. The Eagle HT 29.5BHDS fits the bill perfectly for us (length, double queen beds in back) and price is good, but I am concerned about getting the thing to ride level with my truck. I "think" I can only get 15 inch wheels on the Eagle HT...these new 3500's sit up a good bit too.

Do you think I would have "too much" truck for the HT fifth? Pin weight is only maybe 2000lbs (GVWR of 10k). My payload sticker shows 4034 on the door The combination of not a lot of pin weight to settle the truck down, and the smaller tires is what has me concerned. What do you all think??
I would suggest considering the Eagle Touring Edition. Here are my reasons;
1) It is slightly one step higher than the HT models but the Touring edition was designed with HT towability in mind. Not too heavy with comparable pin weight.
2) You will get a 10gal Atwood water heater in lieu of 6gal Water heater.
3) If you do a lot of dry camping, the Touring edition comes with 73gal Fresh Water Tank in lieu of 48gal in HT.
4) You will get 50amp power in lieu of 30amp. In most instances, the master bedroom will come prepped for the 2nd AC if you would like that added later.
5) Comes with rear roof ladder standard. Trust me, it will cost you quite a bit to have that as an add on for the HT.
6) Electric rear stabilizer jacks is standard while an option in the HT model.

Unloaded Vehicle weight on HT 29.5BHDS is 7980
Hitch Weight is 1400.

My Touring Edition unloaded Vehicle weight is 8200
Hitch Weight is 1600.

To make you feel ever better, I am towing my Touring edition with a Toyota Tundra. So you already have WAY MORE than enough truck.

Anyway, I went back and forth with the decision to either get a HT or Touring Edition. I was also eyeing the HT 29.5BHDS but for what the Touring Edition was offering, it was a no brainer. The price is actually almost the same or just a couple of thousands more (Contingent on your negotiations skills of course).

Good luck.

TOYOTA TUNDRA 5.7L V8- CrewMax W/tow Package
|TRD Offroad- Bilstein Shocks, PullRite SuperGlide Hitch, Timbrens SES, Tekonsha P3 Controller, BFG A/T Load Range E Tires, RollBak Tonneau Cover|
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKEagle View Post
I would suggest considering the Eagle Touring Edition. Here are my reasons;
1) It is slightly one step higher than the HT models but the Touring edition was designed with HT towability in mind. Not too heavy with comparable pin weight.
2) You will get a 10gal Atwood water heater in lieu of 6gal Water heater.
3) If you do a lot of dry camping, the Touring edition comes with 73gal Fresh Water Tank in lieu of 48gal in HT.
4) You will get 50amp power in lieu of 30amp. In most instances, the master bedroom will come prepped for the 2nd AC if you would like that added later.
5) Comes with rear roof ladder standard. Trust me, it will cost you quite a bit to have that as an add on for the HT.
6) Electric rear stabilizer jacks is standard while an option in the HT model.

Unloaded Vehicle weight on HT 29.5BHDS is 7980
Hitch Weight is 1400.

My Touring Edition unloaded Vehicle weight is 8200
Hitch Weight is 1600.

To make you feel ever better, I am towing my Touring edition with a Toyota Tundra. So you already have WAY MORE than enough truck.

Anyway, I went back and forth with the decision to either get a HT or Touring Edition. I was also eyeing the HT 29.5BHDS but for what the Touring Edition was offering, it was a no brainer. The price is actually almost the same or just a couple of thousands more (Contingent on your negotiations skills of course).

Good luck.
Thanks for all the info. I wasn't aware of the exact differences between the two lines. Your model is the other one we r looking at but the wife and kids like the double queen beds in the back. I wish the eagle ht or the eagle lineup had the double queen bunks
Old 05-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Thanks for all the info. I wasn't aware of the exact differences between the two lines. Your model is the other one we r looking at but the wife and kids like the double queen beds in the back. I wish the eagle ht or the eagle lineup had the double queen bunks
I hear you. Unfortunately, you can't have everything. lol

If the double queen bunks is a must have and/or if you need more available bed space, have you looked at the Eagle Touring Edition 31.5BHTS? It weighs a lot more than the HT models but this 5'er right here is the real deal.

TOYOTA TUNDRA 5.7L V8- CrewMax W/tow Package
|TRD Offroad- Bilstein Shocks, PullRite SuperGlide Hitch, Timbrens SES, Tekonsha P3 Controller, BFG A/T Load Range E Tires, RollBak Tonneau Cover|
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #19

quick update. Stopped by the dealer today and the owner took the time to pull a hitch out of his truck and put it in mine and then moved some campers around to allow me to back under the Eagle HT, and then did the same under a Grand Designs Solitude (40ft, 4 slides). As expected, the Eagle HT barely made my truck squat...maybe an inch? (granted, it was completely empty, etc). It would ride a bit nose high, no way around it. Called Jayco to see if 16 inch wheels can be installed and that is a no go as well. Looks like I would have enough bed clearance...just about impossible to get it to level though.

Putting the Solitude on my truck made it squat maybe 2 inches and it had about 7 inches (at least) bed rail clearance and about sat perfectly level...obviously the additional pin weight and the 16 inch tires were the reason.

The owner thought it would work, but did caution me about wearing the rear tires more than the front ones (understandable for sure). Of course I could go with a bigger, heavier unit, but we really like the floorplan of this Eagle HT, so we will have to decide which way to go. A big shout out to Southern RV in Richmond...they took a lot of time with me today actually hooking the rv's up to my truck and were nothing short of fantastic. Whatever I end up buying, I will be buying from them, no question.