Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #1

window leak or condensation?

It has been rainy and very windy today. Humidity was high but temps are slowly falling. Windows were slowly condensing, but that has happened before. I noticed on three windows there was a slight drip. On one it was running down the glass. Have never had that happen before. Not sure if its the condensation or the wind blowing rain in. I have a 2014 eagle fifth wheel with the smooth fiberglass sides. On two of the windows, I noticed a small slit at the top center. Should I caulk those or are they meant to be there?
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #2

And also, on the window with water running down the inside, will that water fall to the bottom of frame and out the weep holes? It isn't running down the wall below window.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:08 PM   #3

I can't answer any of these questions beyond what I think ... I've often seen this inside window condensation during our cooler months - when I'm running the heat and the outside temps are cool/cold. Cool/cold may be subjective here. No problem observed during our AC usage months.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:10 AM   #4

The windows are installed with a thin foam weatherstripping. I replaced a window on the X23B and noted that it appeared to have had a small amount of water get into the wall. Not enough to cause rot tho. I used butyl tape on the new window. When you are able hose down the suspect window and see if you can get it to leak. The framed windows aren't too difficult to remove/install, screws around the frame on the inside and the window pops out (have a helper).
Hopefully it's just condensation. We leave a vent open to help out with that.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #5

I've often wondered about sealing the upper slit as well, is it there to vent out any trapped moisture?
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmorr View Post
On two of the windows, I noticed a small slit at the top center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00buck View Post
I've often wondered about sealing the upper slit as well, is it there to vent out any trapped moisture?
My trailer is from 2011, so it may have different windows. But, on my trailer's window frames the slits are all at the bottom of the window and I thought are there to allow water leaking between the outside of the glass and the window frame to leak out.

Do your trailer's windows have weep holes at the bottom, as well as the slits at the top?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #7

Were you running the ac/heat? It sounds like condensation to me. But then again, after the winter we just had...anything's possible. Could water have frozen and expanded causing a seperation and leak? Possibly. Keep a good eye on it and if you're still feeling iffy..take it into a repair shop and let them look at it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #8

I had the electric heater fireplace running is all. I do have slits on the tops, but have to take a look this weekend to see where weep holes are. This is my second season with this unit and haven't noticed this before. As said before though, very rainy, extremely windy, and quite humid. Think I'll have my wife spray windows outside and I'll inspect inside and see what happens. The three leaky windows were all on windy side of unit, for what it's worth
Old 05-18-2015, 05:22 PM   #9

I thought about caulking the slits, buy I'll do the spray test first. Don't want to jump the gun and caulk something that shouldn't be caulked. If water is on inside of glass, will that drain out weep holes as well?
Old 05-19-2015, 05:28 AM   #10

No, not from inside. I have framed windows on my unit and have never noticed a slit at the top of the windows. Then again, I never really looked to be honest. I know I have two at the bottom for drainage. Just doesn't make sense to me that they'd put holes in the top of a window intensionally. What will that accomplish?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:57 AM   #11

I wonder if the slits are your weep holes and the windows with the slits at the top are installed upside down.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:58 PM   #12

Some windows the slit is on the side, but most of the windows have the slit at the top. All windows have at least two weep holes on bottom. Some slits are factory caulked on the inside slightly. I noticed just tonight a small window that had a slight gap on top frame. Didn't like the looks of it. I put some RV pro flex on it for now, maybe dealer can take a look at it this winter. I did a messy job, but its sealed.