Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2016, 04:40 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
Winter use

Anybody here use em during cold weather? Mine has the "climate shield", just wanting to get some insight on real experiences and not the jayco videos lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #2

Do a search through the forum. I have written a couple of times on cold weather usage. I have used mine on a hunting trip at 30 below zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #3

I never can get the search to work on Tapatalk

Old 10-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #4

But I'll try to get my laptop out, and use the actual website

Old 10-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #5

Same here.
Ok, so here are some tips. Of course winter use is subjective to length of time and average temperatures.
Regardless of how well equipped for cold weather a trailer is, water lines and holding tanks are still vulnerable at temps below the mid twenties. However, a person can go extended times if they have the resources to keep those things from freezing. You have to know what your trailer is equipped for. Sealed under carriage? Direct vented heat to the water tank and holding tanks? Battery in enclosed compartment?
Of course there is give and take to every situation. You can keep the interior and tanks from freezing by running the heater. That costs heavier use of propane and power. With that said, let me tell you some simple tricks which can help and then you can develop your own mode from there.
All my experience in cold weather camping has come from trial and error.
When I dry camp in the winter, I take several measure. (Especially at negative zero temperatures).
I maintain my RV in a winterized state. I do not fill or utilize the fresh water tank. I still use the grey and black tanks though.
I have a portable 35 gallon water tank with a hand pump which I carry inside the trailer. When I put chemicals in the holding tanks, I mix those chemicals with RV antifreeze and I drop a cup of water softening salts in the drains. Water softener salts lower the freezing point of water. Every time we use the toilet, we flush it with equal amounts of RV antifreeze and water.
I also carry a couple extra 20 lb (5 gallon) propane cylinders which I utilize inside the trailer to run the Big Buddy brand portable heaters. I use the Big Buddy brand because of the CO2 and tip over shut off sensors they have so I can leave a small space heater burning through the night.
I use these just enough to keep the interior of the RV above freezing. I still utilize a generator so that I can maintain a strong battery and also for when I use the onboard furnace to heat the trailer first thing in the morning and for about and hour before going to sleep.
When the water softener salt is gone from the drains (I use pellets by the way) I add more.

When I lived in my 5er full time, I skirted the whole trailer and ran heat trace and insulation on the city water inlet line and on the sewer line. Since I was hooked up and living in it, I also used the furnace like a regular household furnace. I rented a regular household type propane tank.

I hope this helps. If you have more specific questions please ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #6

Wow, extreme winter use. Right now I'm just looking at some long weekend trips, probably gonna do the winterize use as well if Temps are supposed to be real cold. I'm just trying to decide how I wanna handle it when Temps are hovering freezing, I live in Georgia, and just looking to take it 15 minutes over to the lake (lake lanier), so really cold usually isn't a factor

Old 10-25-2016, 01:00 AM   #7

I'm full timing in Québec right now , I'm gonna let you know how it goes ! Not winterizing at all and we are leaving in mid december. It is actually 33degrees outside

Envoyé de mon SGH-M919V en utilisant Tapatalk
tortue71 is offline   Reply With Quote