Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
I agree with David, store your battery per the manufacturers recommendations and I don't see them recommending a freezer. Cool (temp) places are great...Owen is correct about that at least. The battery will self-discharge much slower as evidenced on the battery chart, if stored in a constant cool temperature. However, be careful where you might assume it is always/constantly going to be cool enough to maintain the slow discharge rate. Even in the winter months, places can warm up and receive enough solar heating to affect temperature in an unclimate controlled space. So, if your RV (since this forum is about Jayco RVs; not boats) is where you might plan to store the battery over the winter, it will likely receive solar heating unless it is stored indoors. Heat=rapid discharge=dead battery=possibly ruined battery. Again, my oppinion is that removing the battery and storing it in a place where you can monitor the charge level and/or maintain the charge with a slow rate charger is going to be the best option. A well known fact about lead-acid batteries is that they last the longest when kept constantly at or near full charge. A fully charged lead-acid 12volt battery will measure 12.6-12.8 volts. Don't forget Mustang65's post that has the proper procedures for storing deep cycle batteries...that says it all.

Bart and Tina
2001 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 Silverado 4x4-Banks Power
1997 Jayco Eagle 5er 285BHS-flipped axles
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote