Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 09:22 PM   #1

Worst fit and Finish I have seen

My new 310 W toy hauler
All Aluminum upper framework make this a relatively lightweight 5th wheel ...fit and finish is dismal at best .... it appears that no one cared about construction I have owned this 5th wheel about 2 months and it has been a continued disappointment in Quality .....If you are not able to do upgrades and repairs yourself this will be in the shop all the time ..... lots of slick advertisement do not make up for quality construction.....
Old 05-31-2016, 09:52 PM   #2

Interesting we get so many first posts that are complaints... most times they don't stick around. Make you think maybe they are a competitor just wanting to slam Jayco....but...who really knows..

Old 06-01-2016, 07:08 AM   #3

As a lifetime RV user starting with a new 1966 puma tent trailer and working my way through Class C's .... bumper pulls .... Class A's .... Several 5th wheels .... I have watch the level of Quality decline...But after Buying this latest 5th....ALL the makes are spending more $$$ on SLICK advertising instead of hiring Qualified Craftsmen to build these units....PERIOD

I also realize that No one Cares about these posts Especially the manufacturer.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:15 AM   #4

I think you are wrong about the manufacturer not caring. Jayco has always responded to problem issues if there is legitimate problems given to them in a reasonable atmosphere!
Old 06-01-2016, 07:16 AM   #5

Quality

Have you addressed these issues with your dealer or customer service at Jayco? In my experience both care. Especially Jayco. Sorry to hear of your issues.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider99 View Post
Have you addressed these issues with your dealer
X2 If it's that bad it should have never left the lot. All should have been caught during PDI.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:24 AM   #7

Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
X2 If it's that bad it should have never left the lot. All should have been caught during PDI.
You don't know what issues he has. Some are not obvious during PDI.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:53 AM   #8

What Issues?

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
Old 06-01-2016, 07:57 AM   #9

I think that every unit has a few bugs in them, On my 2015 seneca rb had a few but Jayco and my dealer have been amazing on getting it looked at. The big plus is the 2 year warranty which should have all the kinks out on their dime before we have to start paying.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider99 View Post
You don't know what issues he has. Some are not obvious during PDI.
He said "fit and finish" which would be obvious.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:10 AM   #11

Thank you all for your input .... I knew the level of RV I was buying when I bought it ... I was just saddened by the level of care taken in many aspects of construction I am just hoping the finishing work is not an indicator of the main structural components ..... all the cosmetic Items are on thing .... but routing of electrical wires and gas and fuel lines are another ..... I personally will never let a dealer work on this unless there was a major Structural Flaw in my experience in the last several years there are few that really care... That is my personal opinion .... You know the old saying .... if you want it fixed right .... DO IT YOURSELF
Old 06-01-2016, 09:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ZEE View Post
My new 310 W toy hauler
All Aluminum upper framework make this a relatively lightweight 5th wheel ...fit and finish is dismal at best .... it appears that no one cared about construction I have owned this 5th wheel about 2 months and it has been a continued disappointment in Quality .....If you are not able to do upgrades and repairs yourself this will be in the shop all the time ..... lots of slick advertisement do not make up for quality construction.....
Quote:
Fit and finish is dismal at best
...OK, I would have stopped the whole process at the PDI (when you were picking it up) if I was looking at bad fit and finish.

Now you have had it for 2 months and now you say;
Quote:
it has been a continued disappointment in Quality.
What are these Quality issues so we can understand what you are talking about?

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 06-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #13

Yup when I picked mine and went through found a bunch of little things I had to touch up, no screws on one storage door so it opened tilted . tie up wiring harness underneath so they wouldn't rub on drive shaft, reseal propane fitting at tank, little stuff that I could do. So your right let the dealer handle the big warranty items and fix the little ones to your standards will save at least a little aggravation
Old 06-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ZEE View Post

I also realize that No one Cares about these posts Especially the manufacturer.
I can assure you that many care about all posts on this forum. Can't speak of the manufacturer other to use my personal experience with Jayco and the experience of others as I read here and other sources. I can agree that that all manufacturers seem to have let quality slip. It would take volumes to attempt to explain this and still it would be little agreement.

Human nature is to accentuate the negative and we hear lots of that and the other side of the coin also. I read in your posts that you have no questions of the forum members and are taking care of the problems yourself or thru the dealer.

Bottom line is I hope you can get some satisfaction with the problems and keep the forum members informed of the outcome.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 06-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #15

I get really tired hearing about how Mfg don't care about quality.. if there is a lack of quality it is more a reflection of society. People don't care, they don't care about their jobs, they don't care about others, you see it daily. Go in a grocery store and you see people parking carts right in the middle of the aisle, oblivious to others around them. You see it driving, people will cut you off with no regard, we see It in campgrounds. People checking in or leaving before or after hours making noise again with no regards to others.

Mfg can only hire so many people. Jayco I know, cares about quality. They have a team that checks EVERY unit before it leaves the line, but its PEOPLE. Humans, who sometimes don't care as much as they should. BUT Jayco for one, stands behind their product. They step up by covering it under warranty...

Until were all perfect we should not expect other humans to be perfect. We hear about this problem or that problem and then hear Jayco took care of it. What more do we want? Do I expect a perfect product ? I would like that but I certainly know with the mindset of workers today I certainly don't expect it. It's easy to get on our high horse about how companies don't care how they have poor management etc, but, I dare say most on here have made mistakes also. It's not a company that's bad its the PEOPLE the company hires that fail to do their job, and that may include those hired to make sure others do their job.

We take little things and make them the biggest issue in the world, in the overall scheme of life, not much of what we "worry" about has any real impact on anyone's life. If it's broke, they will fix it, yea it's going to take longer than you want, of course, they dealer can't hire good people either, it's not because they don't want to fix it quickly.

Don't like the fit and finish of a unit, then don't accept it. Only when you do your job to perfection, never making even a small mistake, can you then expect the same of others....but be prepared to pay for perfection, cause your not paying for perfection when you buy 99% of the RV's today. You get a good product, that is a good value, and does a good job...

Sorry for the rant, but hearing people beat dead horses over trivial crap over and over again gets old after a while.

Today's RV's are so much more complicated than RV's from 20, 30 or 50 years ago. It's easy to say things were built so much better in the past, when cars didn't come with a heater or a radio, let alone AC, power seats, cruise, back up cameras, GPS etc etc etc...same with RV's. I salute the manufacturers today, who build a good product at a fair price to a growing bunch of whiney customers. I'm so happy NOT to be in business today, and having to deal with the public. They public has gotten more demanding while only wanting to buy the cheapest product they can.. (can you say wal mart). You get what you pay for, and in most cases more than you paid for.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #16

It's an interesting point you make Wags. Jayco is almost forced to rush through completion of a unit and not have perfect fit/finish in order to get the price point where they need to be to remain competitive. Some people say they would pay an extra $1,000 for more attention to detail, but would enough people pay this to keep Jayco competitive or would the higher price drive some folks to the competition?

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Old 06-01-2016, 12:04 PM   #17

Very simple test, will it matter in five years?
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Old 06-01-2016, 12:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I get really tired hearing about how Mfg don't care about quality.. if there is a lack of quality it is more a reflection of society. People don't care, they don't care about their jobs, they don't care about others, you see it daily. Go in a grocery store and you see people parking carts right in the middle of the aisle, oblivious to others around them. You see it driving, people will cut you off with no regard, we see It in campgrounds. People checking in or leaving before or after hours making noise again with no regards to others.

Mfg can only hire so many people. Jayco I know, cares about quality. They have a team that checks EVERY unit before it leaves the line, but its PEOPLE. Humans, who sometimes don't care as much as they should. BUT Jayco for one, stands behind their product. They step up by covering it under warranty...

Until were all perfect we should not expect other humans to be perfect. We hear about this problem or that problem and then hear Jayco took care of it. What more do we want? Do I expect a perfect product ? I would like that but I certainly know with the mindset of workers today I certainly don't expect it. It's easy to get on our high horse about how companies don't care how they have poor management etc, but, I dare say most on here have made mistakes also. It's not a company that's bad its the PEOPLE the company hires that fail to do their job, and that may include those hired to make sure others do their job.

We take little things and make them the biggest issue in the world, in the overall scheme of life, not much of what we "worry" about has any real impact on anyone's life. If it's broke, they will fix it, yea it's going to take longer than you want, of course, they dealer can't hire good people either, it's not because they don't want to fix it quickly.

Don't like the fit and finish of a unit, then don't accept it. Only when you do your job to perfection, never making even a small mistake, can you then expect the same of others....but be prepared to pay for perfection, cause your not paying for perfection when you buy 99% of the RV's today. You get a good product, that is a good value, and does a good job...

Sorry for the rant, but hearing people beat dead horses over trivial crap over and over again gets old after a while.

Today's RV's are so much more complicated than RV's from 20, 30 or 50 years ago. It's easy to say things were built so much better in the past, when cars didn't come with a heater or a radio, let alone AC, power seats, cruise, back up cameras, GPS etc etc etc...same with RV's. I salute the manufacturers today, who build a good product at a fair price to a growing bunch of whiney customers. I'm so happy NOT to be in business today, and having to deal with the public. They public has gotten more demanding while only wanting to buy the cheapest product they can.. (can you say wal mart). You get what you pay for, and in most cases more than you paid for.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady View Post
It's an interesting point you make Wags. Jayco is almost forced to rush through completion of a unit and not have perfect fit/finish in order to get the price point where they need to be to remain competitive. Some people say they would pay an extra $1,000 for more attention to detail, but would enough people pay this to keep Jayco competitive or would the higher price drive some folks to the competition?
My observation is that a high percentage of RV buyers at this build level tend to be shortsighted cheapskates, and will drive an extra 10 hours out of their way to avoid spending that extra thousand dollars with their local dealer.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:18 PM   #20

Good Post Wags!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post

Closed Thread

Tags
no quality control