Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2016, 04:08 PM   #1

X-Chocks?

Putting together a list of things we need before we pick up our 5er. We're newbies. We've ordered an Eagle HT 27.5RLTS with the 4-Point Electric Auto-Leveling System.

Question: Do we need X-Chocks for stability? Or is that only for TT's?

Thank you!

Lisa
Campin'_Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #2

I would say no one really "needs" them. It's more for comfort than to prevent the trailer from rolling. In fact you should be using regular wheel chocks along with the x-chocks.

I'd say a travel trailer will benefit more from them than a fifth wheel. The FW has very stable front jacks compared with the TT scissor stabilizers. They would still help just not as much.

Good luck!
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:03 PM   #3

We have them "just in case". Definitely need wheel chocks. Also need pads for the leveling jacks - in case the land is not level. We also have tire covers.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:56 AM   #4

You may not need X-Chocks right off the bat, but please, invest in a good set of wheel chocks first! We learned a tough lesson of not always chocking our trailer wheels first...no explanation needed here.

As far as stability is concern your trailer can still move side to side, even with all four stabilizers down. A lot of people install either the JT Strong Arms to their front stabilizers, or use a king pin stabilizer. With either of these, your rig will be rock solid with very tiny amount of movement.

Having the X-Chocks help if/or when you park your rig on an incline. We have a set and do use them when we have an incline at either front of back of the parking space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin'_Nana View Post
Putting together a list of things we need before we pick up our 5er. We're newbies. We've ordered an Eagle HT 27.5RLTS with the 4-Point Electric Auto-Leveling System.

Question: Do we need X-Chocks for stability? Or is that only for TT's?

Thank you!

Lisa
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #5

I use the X-Chocks between the wheels on my 5er, as well as wheel chocks on each tire

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spepi View Post
I use the X-Chocks between the wheels on my 5er, as well as wheel chocks on each tire
x2. The do make a difference but they do not remove all movement.

The other cause of movement that I noticed is due to the front legs of the 5'er being able to wiggle left/right and front/back, and the longer they are extended the worse the movement can be.

JT Strongarms should resolve that. My set arrived the other day, hoping to find the time to install those before Labor Day and report back if the do stop "99% of the movement" as many folks claim.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
x2. The do make a difference but they do not remove all movement.

The other cause of movement that I noticed is due to the front legs of the 5'er being able to wiggle left/right and front/back, and the longer they are extended the worse the movement can be.

JT Strongarms should resolve that. My set arrived the other day, hoping to find the time to install those before Labor Day and report back if the do stop "99% of the movement" as many folks claim.
X2 to all of it!
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually, 4X4, Demco HiJacker 21K Autoslide on RAM Puck, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4:10's, 51 Gallon Titan fuel tank, Superhitch 30K lb receiver, Jack Rabbit bed cover.
Wagon: 2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s, Solid Step, 1 ton mini split HVAC, Back up cam.
Tote: Custom built swivel wheel tote (one torsion axle w/dual tires) with a Rampage lift.
Drifter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #8

I put the steady fast system on mine. took out 90% of movement.
culleokapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #9
tld

After using my 5th wheel for a year, and putting up with a lot of motion, even with my rear stabilizers down, I finally purchase a pair of x-chocks - not for the safety issue of keeping my rig from rolling, but for the motion. Well, they worked. Cut my motion by about 85%. Use good wheel chocks for the safety part, but buy the x-chocks to help reduce trailer motion!
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #10

On my 26.5RLS I first bought X-Chocks, mistakenly thinking they were "better" than normal wheel chocks. All was well until that campground this year with the decided slope, and there was a moment of panic as everything slipped and rolled a bit! Not much, and no harm. But it made the point that they are NOT to be depended on to stop a trailer from rolling.
Having used them (up till now) exclusively, there was still a substantial amount of wiggle from moving around inside. The DW who was in bed always knew when I was up and about making coffee. Adding Strongarms to the front substantially reduced the problem. On mine, the geometry as to where they would mount in the rear and still clear the rear jacks, meant they would have been pretty ineffective, so I didn't put the rears on.
So go with Strongarms (or equivalent) first, then decide if you want the little extra the x-chocks supply later.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:41 PM   #11

I like Fastway wheel chocks they go on the inside of both wheels and press out, lots of adjustability and if you set them tight do a decent job of eliminating movement.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote