Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #1

12 volt system

Hello everyone, I hope someone has some good advice. I recently plugged my 2011 32bhds into a 220v source in the garage. I thought it was 110 because the circuit had a 3 wire plug and was being used for an air compressor. Long story short, when I started up the a/c, a breaker popped in the panel on the camper. I then realized it was 220, but everything seemed to work once I reset the tripped breaker. Now, there is no charge going to the battery, and I cant seem to find any blown fuses or tripped breakers. As long as I have a battery charger on the battery, all is fine. Any help with what is wrong would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.....
Esharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #2

Without knowing what type of power converter you have, it's hard to say exactly what to check. But in my 3 years at a RV dealer as a parts guy, I learned there were often fuses on the power converter itself. These are not located where all the fuses are for all the lights, vent fans, power stab jacks, power awning etc. Often they were polarity protection fuses in case you plug into a bad outlet or the battery gets hooked up 'bass ackwards'. Typically you need a screw driver to take covers off in order to see them.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #3

First of all, thank you for your service to the USA, beyond appreciative here! I just have to keep digging, but I don't see anymore fuses around. Would the model # help you think? (of the inverter)
Esharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esharon View Post
First of all, thank you for your service to the USA, beyond appreciative here! I just have to keep digging, but I don't see anymore fuses around. Would the model # help you think? (of the inverter)
The brand and model might help. Should be easy then to find an on-line manual to look at.
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #5

If you plugged into a 240 3 prong outlet they are configured with two hot lines and a neutral. This would mean that for any device that was powered on it would have received 240 vac phase to phase. Most 120v devices cannot handle this condition even for a few seconds. If were to take a guess I would say that your converters input transformer is burned out.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #6

Bad News

Sorry to tell you that I did the same thing last year. Your inverter is toast. Anything else that had an integral DC/AC converter is gone too, like phone chargers, dustbusters, etc.
drketchone is offline   Reply With Quote