Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #11
If you boondock a lot you want to pay attention to the standby current on the inverter. I have a Morningstar Suresine 300. It has no fan and the standby current is < 0.05Amps. Some cheap inverters (even PSW) have standby currents of .5 - 1.0 Amp. I use it to watch the tele, charge laptops, phones, run the DVR, etc. No problem.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #12
I'm just wondering if there is an actual need anymore for true sine wave inverters?

The usual line about "sensitive electronics" is pretty much passť.

Flat panel tv's, DVD players, laptops, etc. and use inverter power supplies that first take the incoming 120VAC and turn it into 120VDC then crank it to 400Hz and run it through a transformer that is much smaller than would be needed at 60Hz. Then turn the various voltages into DC, clean it up and send it to the various sections. The 'sensitive' motors, transistors, displays of the 1980's-2000 are no longer on sale.

Even if a 'modified sine wave' (staged square waves) shortened the life of a TV or DVD player, how much would a replacement cost? Does that justify the higher price of a true sine wave inverter?

TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #13
I have a test bed here at home for a solar / inverter setup I'm testing. My modified sine wave inverter introduces an audible buzzing noise when I plug my stereo into it. That noise isn't there on a true since wave power source. So far, that's the only issue I've had with it. I wouldn't want to plug my PS4 into it. For the most part, motors, and other 'dumb' loads won't care. The motor may run a little hotter though. Digital clocks are known to not work at all on the modified waves, really just depends on your application. I like to keep all options open so I'll pay the extra X% on an inverter I don't have to question. The difference in price isn't as dramatic as it used to be.
2016 27BHS Elite
2012 F-150 EcoBoost / Max Tow
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:53 PM   #14
Dan, I think someone else also mentioned the same inverter you are using, I checked it out, looks like it is about $200, A little more than some that I've looked at... the standby current drain as you mentioned is important unless you want to keep hooking it up and unhook when it's not in use. I've seen the Wagan 400 for about $100 but in all the tests of that unit shows it's putting out just a little under 60HZ which is strange, all they have to do is use a clock to sync it. I have recently seen a review on the Powerbright 300 which sells for about $135. Here is a pretty good review

Bansai, good points, but the PureSine inverters are coming down to where one doesn't have to worry.. and, as you said, more and more are coming out.
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #15
I have read lots of reviews of the Morningstar Suresine 300 and it is the one I would get if I wanted a pure sine wave inverter. No noise and very low idle current.

That being said I am cheap and opted for a modified 600W inverter and it has been great so far. We power the laptop, charge phones/tablets and cook dinner in a crockpot. I think we have plugged a blender into it as well. No issues so far.
I wouldn't worry about getting a pure sine wave inverter anymore either.

2014 Jayco Swift 281BHS
2015 F250 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab, Short box, 6.2 gas
Solar powered! The trailer not the truck!
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #16
The only thing I've found not to work with my 800 watt modified sine wave inverter is my computer printer. It just doesn't work without a pure sine wave. Otherwise, television, charging phones and laptop works without a hitch. Unfortunately, 800 watts isn't enough for my drip coffee maker.

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote