Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #1

16 Jayco Eagle sticking hitch

I have read some of the posts about the hitch not freeing up very easy and realized I have a 2 5/16 ball on my WD system. I see on the TT specs that the receiver is "2 inch". It goes on with very little effort, but is a bear sometimes to get off. I am wondering if that 5/16 extra could be the issue?
tee-bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #2

You are right using the 2 5/16" ball. The 2" receiver may be the cargo accessory receiver at the back of your trailer. I wouldn't put a 2" ball on your WD system. It'll pop right off going down the road and that's the last thing anyone needs.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
Site Team

I don't think you can get a 2" socket onto a 2 5/16" ball. Perhaps they're referring to the dimension of the square on your hitch mount on the TV.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #4

I am not sure if I am following you correctly. Sounds like you are talking about two different things, the ball is different than the receiver. The receiver is the square hole on the hitch of the TV that the WDH slides into and is probably 2", the ball that is mounted on the WDH is probably 2-5/16".
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #5

Yes, I guess I meant hitch, not receiver. I googled Eagle hitch size and came up with the 2". I had a Dutchmen Kodiak and the 2 5/16 ball worked fine.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #6

Going on a trip in a couple of weeks and I am going to lube the hitch with grease and see if that helps any. I have heard that there is sometimes paint over-spray that causes issues.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:29 PM   #7

Be sure you know the correct ball size needed. I can't imagine an Eagle taking a 2inch ball. And almost certainly the 2 inch references the receiver that the shank of your WDH slides into.

When you say the 2 and 5/16 ball worked fine on your other camper, brings up a bit of a red flag as well. It is more than a matter of working They either are the correct size or they are not. Your coupler must have the correct ball size.

Forgive me if I misunderstanding the post. But perhaps it would help if I'm more articulate member chimed in.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:31 AM   #8

Unhitching when un-level can change the tension on the ball as the trailer is lifting off. Perhaps this is the issue if it is a problem sometimes and not at other times. To keep the trailer from popping off hard, when un-level I raise the trailer a bit and then slightly move the truck forward or backward to release some of the pressure. Then it unhitches more gently. Before doing it that way I had instances where the trailer popped off so hard it nearly rocked off the jack stand. Never have that problem anymore.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-bone View Post
Going on a trip in a couple of weeks and I am going to lube the hitch with grease and see if that helps any. I have heard that there is sometimes paint over-spray that causes issues.
Excellent plan!, I am reading lots of Red Flags, that scare me.

The steel shank of the outside dimensions of the hitch is 2" x 2" and the receiver inside dimension is a little bit bigger than 2" x 2", aka a 2" hitch.

The ball that attached to the WDH should be a 2 5/16" diameter. A 2 5/16" ball will NOT slip into a tongue designed for a 2" ball. Physically it will not fit, no matter how much force and pounding you do it will not slip together. A 2" ball could by accident be used in place of a 2 5/16" ball. IF you use a 2" ball when your eagle requires a 2 5/16" ball as you drive down a bumpy road, the hitch will become uncoupled, even with the tongue lock engaged and you will create a dangerous condition on the highway.

I fully expect your issue is a buildup of powdered coating inside the tongue and dry components, where the ball goes. The best thing I have found is to apply a liberal amount of high temp bearing grease to the ball. The grease will work its way into all the components and help make them function properly.

About every 1500 miles I wipe the ball off, and apply new grease. between trips I found a solo cup fits over the ball perfectly. I do not recall exactly which size cup, but I think I use a 14 oz.

Please make sure to use the right size ball, and address the actual issue.

Happy camping

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:53 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbold1 View Post
Unhitching when un-level can change the tension on the ball as the trailer is lifting off. Perhaps this is the issue if it is a problem sometimes and not at other times. To keep the trailer from popping off hard, when un-level I raise the trailer a bit and then slightly move the truck forward or backward to release some of the pressure. Then it unhitches more gently. Before doing it that way I had instances where the trailer popped off so hard it nearly rocked off the jack stand. Never have that problem anymore.
X2

My new rig hangs up every time I unhitch.
I get a little tension on ball and then move truck forward and/or backwards and it quickly disengages.
Once it breaks in and powder coating wears a little, it should get easier.
I am much more comfortable with a little tight than loose at all.

D.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #11

X3 on it getting better over time. My 2017 Eagle was a bear to unhitch the first few times. Found myself having the DW move the tranny to D then R and back again while I was jumping on the hitch to get it to let go the first couple of times.

But after about 3000 miles to Florida and back and hitching/unhitching a dozen times or so, mine works just fine now and no longer have to rock it or jump on it to let go. I spray the hitch ball (2 5/16) with some white lithium grease before hitching up each time and that helps a lot also..
Old 05-28-2017, 08:00 PM   #12

Used lithium grease on our trip this past weekend and worked great! No issues getting hitched or unhitched! Packed receiver and latch hardware, and also greased the ball a little. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2017, 09:46 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
last fall bringing the new Jayflight home we camped overnite with it ..... could not get the hitch to release from the ball ..... had to just leave the truck / trailer hitched, good thing it was just a one night stay over. Used it last weekend for the 1st time, so i greased her up real well..... was still difficult to latch, and too release, but it did work, hopefully will get better as time goes on!