Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #1

17C Towing with Weight Distribution Hitch

Hello all!

2009 Jayco 17C.

I got a new weight distribution hitch, with one sway bar, but not quite sure how to setup that sway bar. My other concern is that my truck is a little high, 2005 Mercury Mountaineer stock, and my trailer seems to be a little high in the front when hitched. When setting up the chains on the weight distribution I use the absolute final link on the chain, is it possible that is too short??

I drove a few hundred miles this weekend, and it did OK, but seemed to sway a little more than I would help. Any suggestions?

Robert B
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0914.jpg   IMG_1903.jpg  
theborgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #2

Robert,

Many weight distribution hitches allow you to raise or lower the tow ball. When your unhitched trailer is level the top of the tow ball on your tow vehicle should line up approximately with the top of the tongue. Once you hook up the trailer, the tow ball and the back of the tow vehicle will sag downward. The purpose of the weight distribution bars is to raise the tow ball and the back of the tow vehicle so that both the trailer and the tow vehicle are level.

If you are towing your trailer with the front higher than the rear, you will experience significant sway even at moderate speeds. With the trailer and the tow vehicle both level there will be much less sway but even with the sway bar in place there will be sway in gusting winds or when passing or being passed by large trucks.

Texas Sam
Attached Thumbnails
2012-09-27_21-00-24_213.jpg  
Texas Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #3

Robert,

You probable have this all figured out by now. Have you been able to adjust to reduce sway?

I have a 2008 27BH with the friction sway bar. My tv is a 2004 F150 4x4 Super Crew. I tighten the sway bay about as tight as I can get it and have little to no trouble. Texas Sam is correct, level is best.

I have been looking into the Reese Dual Cam HP system.
Sheetmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #4

Hi Robert! Welcome to the Jayco Forum!

How much does your trailer tongue weigh? What is the weight limit for your WDH and are you under that weight?

Your tongue weight should be about 10-15 percent of gross trailer weight. That should help drop the front of your trailer and reduce sway. Like TexasSame suggested, check to see if the ball can be fitted lower. Along with this, the wdh will bring the front of your truck back down to maintain safe steering and control of your truck.

Happy camping!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #5

If you have a friction type sway control, we were taught at our orientation to tighten it with two fingers until you can't turn it any more, and then turn it another half turn. This is with an EAZ-lift model. Reese has a very similar product that I suspect is adjusted similarly. If you still experience sway, you can tighten it a little more.
RedOrGreen is offline   Reply With Quote