Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #1

Thumbs up 1986 J furnace

Last summer I bought an 86 TT that had been sitting under an awning for 15 years, the thing was like new. It seems to only have 2 issues. 1) the propane system is not working for the fridge or for the furnace so no boondocking.
I was at campgrounds all last summer so I never got around to fixing it. I did attempt one time to fix and all I did was disconnect the two gas lines in the small access door on the exterior. I blew this out w a small compressor. This got the pilot to actually light, but it seemed the flame was weak and the next morning when I went to light it again, it would not work. I see a lot of orange red soot in that cabin and I'm just assuming that stuff is in the lines from sitting for so many years, causing poor gas flow. The other issue is when I over fill the water tank it appears to seep out from the top of the tank underneath. I'm assuming their is some old gasket there dried and rotten that needs to be sealed. Will silicone fix that? Has anyone has run into similar problems? I need to fix the furnace but honestly not sure if it's worth messing with or just pull it out and replace w a new catalytic.
79brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #2

Your water tank has an overflow line so when its full its spills out, normal. The furnace being a 86 model has probably seen its better days and I would replace it just to be safe if it was mine. Also check the gas lines from end to end since that old rubber probably has some cracks and could be leaking, you may need to replace them.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:34 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the classic Jayco! I agree with Sundancer330, it's probably a good idea to replace the heater. I'm not handy enough to rebuild one so I'd go that route. We would love to see photos of your classic trailer, it's not often we see them more than a decade or two in age. Have fun and happy camping!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79brendan View Post
Last summer I bought an 86 TT that had been sitting under an awning for 15 years, the thing was like new. It seems to only have 2 issues. 1) the propane system is not working for the fridge or for the furnace so no boondocking.

I was at campgrounds all last summer so I never got around to fixing it. I did attempt one time to fix and all I did was disconnect the two gas lines in the small access door on the exterior. I blew this out w a small compressor. This got the pilot to actually light, but it seemed the flame was weak and the next morning when I went to light it again, it would not work. I see a lot of orange red soot in that cabin and I'm just assuming that stuff is in the lines from sitting for so many years, causing poor gas flow. The other issue is when I over fill the water tank it appears to seep out from the top of the tank underneath. I'm assuming their is some old gasket there dried and rotten that needs to be sealed. Will silicone fix that? Has anyone has run into similar problems? I need to fix the furnace but honestly not sure if it's worth messing with or just pull it out and replace w a new catalytic.

I would suggest the regulator could be part of the problem. It probably couldn't hurt to have a gasman do a pressure test on the whole system. My "neighbor" at the campground where I'm seasonal this winter ordered a 100# bottle from the gas co. They wouldn't hook it up until they witnessed a pressure test hold pressure for an hour.

I'm not sure I agree that the furnace is junk just because it's old. I've got a 60 year old forced hot air furnace in my house. There's not much to these: just a burner and usually some form of heat exchanger. Just give the burner a good cleaning and try it.

The water tank inlet fill tube may need a new gasket if your seeing water come out of the tank other than at the overflow.

I'm fairly handy, so this project would be fun for me... but that's what you should look at this as: a project!

A 30 year old jayco time capsule definitely deserves some pictures, though! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, water tank leaks